Upgrading to intel 6300

DboiDerek

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Okay, i am looking to upgrade my existing Pci express Mini card, Realtek RTL8192SE, to Intel 6300 ultimate, and i notice i have two antenna in my laptop, Gateway ID49C08u.

So does that mean i need to purchase another antenna and where at?
How hard is it to install a 3rd antenna, when i have only two currently?
Where would i put my 3rd antenna?
Should i replace my existing antenna? Would there be any gain from upgrading the existing antenna?

No you should not need to add a 3rd antenna, the connections will be going to where the card is anyway, only the card will change. I don't think you can add a 3rd antenna either, you'd be limited by what the card and connections word. I doubt you can replace the antenna with another one, I have seen many external high-gain antennas but never one to re-wire an internal one.

I should have looked at that mini pci card before replying. It does have 3 antenna connections, but you will have to find a good way to route it yourself through the case. There may be some mod sites out there that can guide you http://www.instructables.com/id/Yet-another-laptop-wifi-antenna-mod/, there are some links to other mods from that page. Maybe another member on here can help also.