Is this all compatible/reasonable for a first time build?

eight ropes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Hello, I have finally decided to upgrade to PC gaming after years on consoles. I am looking to spend about 1500 on a new rig. I have done some research and here is what I am thinking:

Asus p8z77-v lk mobo
intel i5-3750k cpu
corsair vengeance 2x4gb ram
msi radeon 7950 graphics card
crucial m4 128gb boot/barracuda 1tb storage
seasonic m12ii 520w psu
corsair 550d case

does anyone see any glaring problems with these components? any bottlenecks or over/underpowered items that don't fit with the rest of the rig?

thanks for your help

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Nice build for your first time! My first build had a pentium and no graphics card :p.

That is a good build but i have a couple of points that you might think about changing.

1. Motherboard. That Asus board is good but more expensive than other with better features. For instance, the ASRock Extreme4 is very cheap, and has many internal I/O connectors for expansion. Its the board i use and cannot recommend it enough. Another option is the Gigabyte Z77 UD5H. It has a dual bios feature which can save your behind when overclocking.

2. Graphics card. For around 30 bucks extra you can grab a GTX 670 which is a FAR better graphics card. You can find one on newegg for 399.99.

3. Power Supply. If you plan on expanding, 520W is cutting it close for something like SLI or CrossfireX. I would suggest a 750W PC Power and Cooling MK silencer II. It is made by Seasonic so you know its incredible and has tons of extra wattage for overclocking and dual graphics cards.

4. Case. This is more of a opinion, but I would recommend a HAF series case. They arent rediculously expensive and double as an air conditioner lol (tons of cooling)

5. Aftermarket heatsink. You will definitely want to overclock the i5 and you cant do it with the stock cooler. I would recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. It is mega cheap and has great cooling

Good luck with your build!

eight ropes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Thanks for the feedback! My replies/thoughts below:

1. I'll definitely take a look at those ASRock and Gigabyte boards. I'll admit I didn't shop too much on these, just found one that would take advantage of the ivy bridge cpus and went with it.

2. will get it with the money I save on the mobo :)

3. I am waaay too new at this stuff to even think that far ahead, will be overjoyed when I POST and will take it from there. But that would be good to give myself some room to grow.

4. I don't like the look of the haf series too much. no arguing taste i guess

5. Those are so cheap I will definitely get one. Will that make the build much harder?

Thanks again for the help on this. Sounds like you have been doing it for a while!

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012

I've only been doing this for about a year lol, but on these forums, there are alot of consistencies amoung all the questions, so everything is pretty much hammered in my head. Also, I learned so much on my first build, and im sure you will too!

So yea definitely take a look at those mobos and the 670, those both will suit your build very well. Don't worry about the power supply if you don't intend to upgrade soon, i shouldn't have even put it in your head lol. You picked probably the BEST sub 600W PSU on the market.

Its funny that you say that, because im not found of the 550D haha. Basically the case is like a jacket. Sure it holds all your parts in and keeps them safe, but you arent gunna buy it if it looks ugly! Theres nothing wrong with buying the case you like, even if someone tells you otherwise; you're the one that has to look at it! And Corsair makes awesome cases!

Finally, adding a heatsink will add a challenge, but theres not much consquence if you mess up. You can just wipe off extra thermal paste, unlike try to install a custom watercooling loop and having it douse your new christmas motherboard :/. But all in all, its really not that hard and will increase your computers performance by allowing you to overclock the hell out of the 3570k.

If you need help on anything watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
Which is by far the best and most in depth computer building guide on youtube.

Or if you need a personal touch, you can post any questions you have or shoot me a PM! Good luck and enjoy!

eight ropes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I saw that newegg.com video and it looks really helpful--I will definitely have to check the 3rd part out as well (if and when I make it that far).

Thanks for the insight into this stuff. People like you make the internet great!