oreocookie

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I just recently purchased a nividia 7900 GTX (used). From the outside it seems to be fine, nothing wrong. However when I any games on it, it is not play correctly. It is either not loading the full image, or it flashes to black and back to normal quickly. I sometimes get vertical or horizontal lines that appear. I am lead to believe that it is not getting enough power. I am using a 350W power supply. Is this the issuse?

fantastik250

Distinguished
It could depend on the game settings. Is your card properly cooled? Or better question, does your computer case get enough cool air inside?

Heat can definitely have an effect on the graphics card if not cooled sufficiently. Also, with today's games you might try lower settings and see if it makes a difference.

oreocookie

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Its on the lowest setting, I believe it is cooled well or well enough. Do you think the adapter could be causing the issue? I didn't think about it until i mentioned it.

oreocookie

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Well i got a new power supply, and a new adapter, and unfortunately that did not solve the problem. I wish I could just get free computer thats new hahaha. Any other suggestions?

What is the specs of the new unit? This card alone at full load draws roughly 125W but usual loads should be around 100w. Second these older cards are known to have thermal related issues that the bonding for the gpu and vram degrade over time. Try some very light games even very old ones and see if it produces artifacts. Also download msi afterburner or riva tuner and set the fan speed to 70% or higher to see if issues continue.