Help with driver problem!!!!!

xen_05

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hello all! I am here because, sadly, I have an issue on my new ASUS Radeon HD 6670. For whatever reason, the drivers have problems, and whenever I do anything graphics-related, or just keep it going, I go into shutdown, with a blue screen! :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou:

I tried to update my computer; didn't work. Tried to reinstall drivers; didn't work. I need help!!

fantastik250

Distinguished
It is possible that your Power Supply Unit (PSU) could be low. If you have anything USB related that could be using the wattage from your PSU. Try only using the mouse and keyboard and see if it makes any difference. Did you install the new drivers from AMD?

xen_05

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

I did not yet; I will see if that makes a difference. I will also disconnect any external USB devices that are of no use. I will reply when I get results.

Adsuki

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
The TPD of a HD 6670 like that will be 66W. From what I can tell, there's a good chance your PSU might be the problem but I highly doubt that. I ran a 300W PSU with that card, all of my USB connected with a 125W processor and motherboard, and I didn't get anything like that unless if I overclocked it (which needs more power). If your OCing your GPU, then do 10% at a time until you can get it stable but that will also require more power. Any 12.0 Drivers will do, and if you install 12.4 Drive from AMD, then please, let me know how you did it because I haven't been able to get it to install. Lol. Good luck! And out of curiosity, what processor are you using?

fantastik250

Distinguished

I have 12.4 installed and it is working like a charm. I suggest you uninstall all drivers on your graphics card. Including going to device manager and uninstalling driver and software from your amd graphics card.

Then go to this link:
How to uninstall ati/amd drivers properly:
http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-properly-uninstall-ati-amd-software-drivers-for-graphics-cards

I remember having problems like you before with driver installs.

Adsuki

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

Thanks man, I'll do that right now. =)

xen_05

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Good god, what a mess this has all been. The PSU certainly isn't the issue, but as far as I'm concerned with it, I'm officially done. I'm taking it back, and either replacing it (not likely), or simply getting another card (likely.) That is my first experience and impressions with ATI, and so far, they haven't been good.

Adsuki

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Oh come on, Xen_05. I have the same GPU from the same company as you do and going to 12.3-12.4 has been the only issue I've had, literally, and I'm using an old Phenom 9750 processor still as well. And I still can OC the damn thing just fine. It's a good card if you give it a chance. But to be honest, I've never heard anything like that. When I OC'ed the living *** to the point where it wasn't stable and played BF3, then I got that. Same thing with The Sims 3. But your case is diffently puzzling.

xen_05

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

Actually, it wasn't that... I just had some separate glitches, and I will simply replace the card with another one. It really isn't that problematic, but I will do that. On a side note, how does this compare to the Nvidia Geforce GT 440?

xen_05

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

AA? What is that supposed to mean?

Adsuki

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Xen_05: AA means Anti-Aliasing. AA smooths any rough edges in the games, but can slow your game down as well which means you need a better GPU. Say like... You drop down to 30 FPS in Battlefield 3 with a GTX 460, but you want something better. So you get a GTX 670 and runs the game smoother with those edges and you FPS is like... Let's say 50+ and barley dips underneath 45 FPS. That's what AA does. =)

Fantastik250 - I haven't gotten a chance yet, I started to get a tooth ache so I just laid down, took my antibiotic, and now I'm back here, about to do it until Men At Work comes on in an hour. =)

xen_05

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

The main problem, truth to tell, was that the screen would zoom in, and I could not get anything to work like that. How can I solve that issue on my next card?

xen_05

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

It's kinda hard to explain, but see, when I first plugged in the card, and booted up the computer, the resolution got all messed up, and zoomed in, which meant that I couldn't see anything well at all, and windows got cut off. When I installed the drivers, using the ASUS software disk, the screen went back to normal, but after installing the utility, I got the errors that I described previously. I don't know what it was that caused my screen to act like that, but in that state, I couldn't use Catalyst, because the window got cut off, and I couldn't move it. I couldn't change the screen resolution back from 640 x 480, either! :( :( :(
What exactly happened?

Adsuki

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
The Phantom of the Catalyst hates you. Lol. But to be honest, I have no clue. Every time Geek Squad wiped my computer clean, I just went to AMD's official site and gotten the Auto-Detect Download to give me the newest driver with Catalyst. I never heard of this but are you using a laptop or desktop? Because if it's a laptop, then it could be HD 6670M, which mean's it's slower than what I have in my dekstop and could easily be a HD 6570 for the desktop version. I'm curious on this and I will look into it further for you. Something like that shouldn't be happening. Try to uninstall the drivers, or use auto-detect from the website to see if it can fix it. There could be Spyware and Malware on your computer. I know nothing wouldn't update because I had Malware, so after a clean up with MalwareByte, Norton updated itself again and haven't had problems. That could be what you might have. If you can download MalwareByte and do a full scan, then I would do that and make sure your computer isn't infected at all.

fantastik250

Distinguished
Hmm, I wonder if the catalyst control center got messed up. Try and reset all the settings to default in the catalyst control center and see if it does anything for you. Also, try to uninstall drivers as I mentioned for Adsuki in this link:

How to uninstall ati/amd drivers properly:
http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/ [...] hics-cards

Also, in the catalyst control center you can force detect your display.

xen_05

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

Well, I've decided that enough was enough. I went back to the store, and went out with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti, and so far, all has been well. It actually works, and I am very happy with that card. Recommended highly.