Should I go for Ivy bridge or sandy bridge-e

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I am thinking of a new build. Sold my last 2 sandy bridge builds but now I have enough saved for a new build. So my question is, since this is hopefully a build I am going to stick with and not sell away, which socket should I go for: I heard haswell is going to use a new socket so ivy bridge seems to be at the end of its line in terms of future upgradability (meaning no chance of swapping just the CPU if you want to upgrade in the future) so maybe socket 2011 is the way to go? I am thinking of the i7 3770k or i7 3820 (the 3820 is cheaper on amazon at the moment, by the way but I am guessing the Mobo prices cover the difference)

What are you doing with this computer?

If it's gaming, than get an i5-3570k. It'll be several generations of video cards before it starts bottle-necking at stock speeds, performs EXACTLY the same in games as the i7, and is about 10% worse than the high end 2011 chips that are $800 more. (Oh, and the i5 will beat them in a number of applications.)

Either that or wait half a year to see what Haswell can do.

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Sorry, forgot to mention that... Going to be used mainly for some amateur 3DS Max and MAYA projects I have in mind, and gaming... The gaming part will be more than the 3ds max work but I wont be just playing; I am planning on making some mods for games like Oblivion, mount and blade and may even try out the unreal engine or crytek engine as well...

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Sorry, forgot to mention that... Going to be used mainly for some amateur 3DS Max and MAYA projects I have in mind, and gaming... The gaming part will be more than the 3ds max work but I wont be just playing; I am planning on making some mods for games like Oblivion, mount and blade and may even try out the unreal engine or crytek engine as well...

I had two i5 2500K builds before so I knew the gaming part was covered with an i5. with the mod making and the game engines though, I wasn't so sure... do you think an i5 3570k can meet my needs?

If you have the cash and since you are using 3ds max and ymaya, get the I7 3770 or 3770K(for Overclocking).

There is no reason anyone would need SB-E unless they make a lot of money from their computer and need very fast rendering times.