Sign in with
Your question

Will this Monitor work with HDMI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2012 11:47:10 PM

I am soon to buy an Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) graphic card, it has a mini hdmi port so I was wondering if monitor will be able to connect to it. It's an HP 2009m with a dvi port and a vga port. It does not specifically have a HDMI port but would a mini hdmi to vga cable make it HDMI? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

More about : monitor work hdmi

May 24, 2012 11:51:52 PM

Anyone know :D ?
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 24, 2012 11:57:57 PM

You should be able to use a HDMI to DVI cable along with a mini hdmi to hdmi adapter. Going from the hdmi to vga may not work, many hdmi port dont carry the analog required for vga.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 25, 2012 12:01:41 AM

u can use a dvi to hdmi cable. dvi isnt as pretty though
m
l
May 25, 2012 12:09:09 AM

Thats the problem, my graphic is only mini hdmi. Would it be possible to get a mini hdmi to hdmi port and then plug an hdmi to vga?
m
l
May 25, 2012 12:42:10 AM

HP 2009m? Really? That's my old monitor before I got my new Samsung LED monitor and sadly... It only has an HDMI port. But if I remember, it's 1600x900, right? And doesn't both the monitor and GPU have a DVI port as well? If so, then a DVI port may be your only option but I did find this on Amazon but I have a bad feeling about a mini HDMI to a VGA port.

http://www.amazon.com/Female-Adapter-Cable-TF101-TF101G...

If I was you, I would use the DVI port if your monitor has one. Good luck. =)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 12:47:29 AM

neon neophyte said:
u can use a dvi to hdmi cable. dvi isnt as pretty though

DVI and HDMI are exactly the same standard. They look identical.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 25, 2012 12:50:53 AM

http://www.audioholics.com/education/display-formats-te...

dunno how it applies exactly, but 1.3 has more bandwidth and something called deep color. none of this really interests me, as I just know I can visibly see a difference between the use of my hdmi cable and my hdmi-dvi cable. im not positive about what causes the difference, but its there
m
l
May 25, 2012 1:00:44 AM

Really? Because I've seen a difference in DVI, HDMI, and VGA, owning all three cables. Which is weird. But hey, I see a difference. And the HP 2009m monitor doesn't have a HDMI port as well, so if he/she can find an adaptor for the mini HDMI, then the dude's set! If not, then DVI will be the best option if you want to get close to a HDMI. I never knew it was the same since I could see a difference between the two. Lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 25, 2012 1:07:02 AM

thank you adsuki! i know im not crazy! i dont use my dvi cable anymore because I can easily spot the difference, and it doesnt look as good!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 25, 2012 1:08:48 AM

Zaxasion said:
Thats the problem, my graphic is only mini hdmi. Would it be possible to get a mini hdmi to hdmi port and then plug an hdmi to vga?

That's odd. All graphics card should at least have DVI ports. What is the exact brand & model of the graphics card you are buying?

& if by slim chance that the graphics card have only hdmi, I would say choose another. There are many options that have DVI port so you can do away will all those conversions.
m
l
May 25, 2012 1:19:21 AM

You wlecome, Neon Neonphyte! I thought I was the only one who could see the difference. All of my friends calls me crazy since they're not hardcore PC gamers like I am. Lol. But yeah, I can tell the difference and just decided to go with a HDMI for a crisp sharp picture. =) And now that Randomkid brings it up... What company is it from? I know a lot of GPU's that I saw at Fry's has a DVI. Hell, mine has a DVI, VGA, and HDMI. Go with one of those big and well known companies like these for example.

EVGA, Galaxy, PYN, Asus, ect.

Those are some big and well known companies (even if Asus is a small company they're still well known) for their products.
m
l
!