CPU Overheating

powercroat783

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
So, to put this simply, my CPU has been overheating. It is an i7-2600k that is on a ASUS p8p67 Mobo. It is not overclocked at all. It idles on Windows 7 at around 50 C and on Prime 95 it will go up to 100 until it fails and shuts down. Doing other processor intensive activities, I will get blue screens and the computer will shut down. It had the stock heat sink, until I had decided to replace it once the issue came about. I replaced the heatsink with the one I found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150121

Something simple but should work since I am not overclocking. I still have all the same issues. Wondering if there was anything else I could check? I have no tried swapping the processor but was really hoping that would be a last resort kind of thing.

Thanks.

Solution
So all the obvious things to recommend before an RMA would be to make sure the BIOS are updated to the latest version, all connections are secure and the heatsink is fully secured to the motherboard. Once this is done re-set the BIOS to their defaults, if the problem persists it would seem the CPU is somehow faulty.
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-TX3-RR-910-HTX3-G1/dp/B0028Y4S9K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1354140889&sr=8-5&keywords=hyper+212. You may have to remove the board to install; the one you now have is no better than the stock Intel heatsink. Newegg is offering a rebate, but my links are broken.

slimgenre

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2012
Idling at 50C seems a bit excessive, my Windows 7 idles at about 35C and when I'm gaming an MMO or some other cpu-intensive program, I top out at 55 - 60. I'm on an i5 3570. Perhaps thermal paste was originally applied wrong. Can you take both sides of your case off? If so, you may have a cutout that will allow you to put on a better cooler than the one you've got without taking your mobo out (you may already know all this, not being condescending, some people just don't know, like me about a year ago).

I've heard great things about the hyper 212 as mentioned above and plan to get one eventually, but haven't had the need yet. They're cheap. Also, ambient room temperature makes a big difference too. If the room your computer is in is 80F already, then it'll be hard to keep temps down on your comp, but the idling at 50C just doesn't seem right.

cmi86

Distinguished
If you are using the stock cooler and provided thermal pad you will be well served to remove the heat sink from the CPU, clean off all of the old thermal material with a cloth and de natured alcohol. Re apply a pea sized amount of "arctic silver 5" thermal compound to the top of the CPU and re install the heat sink. Make sure the plastic pegs attaching the heat sink to the motherboard are fully seated as these have a tendency to not resulting in an overheating CPU.

powercroat783

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Like I said, a new but not improved heatsink was installed on the CPU. Basically it didn't improve conditions (I thought the stock one was faulty) I applied arctic silver myself and have done it many times so I am sure I got it right. I have a good case so I do have a good view of the back of the mobo to easily install a new heatsink. Room temp here in the office is pretty cold.

cmi86

Distinguished
So all the obvious things to recommend before an RMA would be to make sure the BIOS are updated to the latest version, all connections are secure and the heatsink is fully secured to the motherboard. Once this is done re-set the BIOS to their defaults, if the problem persists it would seem the CPU is somehow faulty.

Solution