Sign in with
Your question

HELP! New build has exploded 2 surge protectors!

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
July 18, 2012 4:37:22 AM

Hey guys,

So this is my first build (probably last after this experience) and I'm beginning to fear the worst. I had an AMD gaming machine that I was looking to upgrade so I purchased a new case, new mother board, processor, etc.

I spent hours building this, but that's not to say I didn't do anything wrong. Basically I finished and went to plug it in and as I plugged it in (before I turned it on) the surge protector popped.

It was super dusty (the surge protector), so I thought maybe there was short with that. I grabbed another surge protector and tried it again, same result.

I'm now officially freaked out as I don't want to ruin the $1,000 worth of equipment I just bought. Any advice?

Intel i5-3570k
ASUS P8Z77-Vlx
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4gb (x2)
Corsair H60 Water Cooler
NVidia GTX 280
Cooler Master 850W PSU

PLEASE HELP!
July 18, 2012 5:26:01 AM

the power supply draws all the power for your system.

I would try isolating that part first.

Disconnect all the expensive parts from power. and try just plugging in the PSU (buy more surge protectors).

It could also be that the outlet you are connecting to is somehow shot.
m
l
July 18, 2012 5:28:03 AM

I never heard of a surge protector Exploding
Is your power supply new too? Try unplugging all of your power supply connectors from ALL of your devices including the mother board and plug it in another surge protector. If the surge pops again, then it's your power supply ad I would get another one.
m
l
Related resources
July 18, 2012 5:35:01 AM

raytseng said:
the power supply draws all the power for your system.

I would try isolating that part first.

Disconnect all the expensive parts from power. and try just plugging in the PSU (buy more surge protectors).

It could also be that the outlet you are connecting to is somehow shot.

I actually tried it in two separate plugs in different parts of the house. The PSU came with my old computer, though I'm not exactly sure how old it is. I did clean it (pretty dusty) and was blowing it pretty extensively with some compressed air. I made the fan spin quite a bit which I have heard is a no-no before, but didn't really pay any mind to it.
m
l
July 18, 2012 5:36:31 AM

Rogue77777 said:
I never heard of a surge protector Exploding
Is your power supply new too? Try unplugging all of your power supply connectors from ALL of your devices including the mother board and plug it in another surge protector. If the surge pops again, then it's your power supply ad I would get another one.

Yeah it was crazy! Didn't so much explode as make a very loud POP and a very bright flash. Explosion in the title was a bit of a dirty trick to get people to come and read the thread (whoops :)  )
m
l
!