Will a PCI Express 3.0 x16 Graphics Card work with a PCI Express 2.0 x16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergeant_DN38416

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Hello,
I am looking into a Graphics Card Upgrade will a PCI Express 3.0 x16 Graphics Card work with a PCI Express 2.0 x16 Motherboard

What resolution do you intend to game at and in what games? The 7770 is great for 720p, but it won't handle 1080p gaming to well in any intensive games, although it can do 1080p very well in light games such as World of Warcaft and Diablo 3.

Sergeant_DN38416

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I like games like COD, GTA, BioShock, Mortal Kombat and some strategy games like Civ5 and Anno 2070

Right now I am a PS3 guy I get 3D Blu-ray and Gaming from the PS3 already and I do not want to backslide

I want to watch 3D Blu-rays and play games in 3D at 1080p over HDMI 1.4a from the couch the card is I picked is does that right? Its also better than the cards rumored for the new game systems listed below so it should all be good enough for that right? I am new to this multi gpu era of PC building and gaming

PS4 Rumored Specs
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/04/04/sources-detail-the-playstation-4s-processing-specs
Xbox 720 Rumored Specs
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/24/xbox-720-will-be-six-times-as-powerful-as-current-gen

Graphics in consoles is very different from graphics in desktops for performance. Consoles are far more optimized and can do a lot more with weak hardware than a PC can and regardless of that, those are only rumors. The 7770 is not going to manage 1080p in Civ 5 with high quality settings, I'm not sure of how well it will do in the others and would need to check.

sajid005

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Remove the side panel of your case. Take a house or desk fan- turn on HIGH and blow air into your case. Run your benchmarks, game, Fold, encode video, etc…see what your temps are. Compare with the temps you get with your case side on, and no fan. If the temps drop 5C or more, you have a case airflow issue inside your case that should be addressed before ever replacing an air cooler with another air cooler. Watercooling might help, but depending on your desired temp ranges and budget,

Status
Not open for further replies.