Fan VERY loud after CPU upgrade

conker1127

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Ok so I recently bought an Athlon 64 X2 5800+(the 89w version) for my dell Optiplex 740 Mini Tower. Today I installed it and I can start everything and boot up normally but the second I try to run even a regular program like mozilla or ccleaner is starts to speed up and sound like a freight train. It's starts up especially fast when you start up a game like mine craft.
So after trying to tighten the heat sink, reapplying thermal paste, and trying little tweaks it still runs like a jet engine.

At one point it even automatically shut down my computer.

So after getting frustrated with it I reinstalled my old Athlon 64 x2 4800+ and it runs perfectly fine, no problems with the fan.

According to speedfan, the temperatures are normal.

Is this a sensor problem, a driver problem? Do I need a newer heatsink? I'm just not sure what to do, so what better than to ask the toms hardware community.

Thanks in advance- Elijah

Other system specs
Radeon 6670 Graphics Card
4 gb ddr2 ram

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
If you are using your old heatsink and fan on your upgrade cpu I can see why the fan has an increase in speed, you are going from a 65 watt processr to a 89 watt processor, hence the greater need for cooling under load. Upgrade your heatsink and fan for the new cpu installed.