internet connection icon missing from tray

My computer crashed one morning and stated to install the XP CD and select
"r" at the setup. I only replaced the file:
c:\windows\system32\config\system, and now the icon that shows my internet
connection, is missing from the taskbar. How do i get that icon back? The
only way to disconnect from the internet is to reboot my computer.

Thank you,
Maxine
5 answers Last reply
More about internet connection icon missing tray

    [Start]
    Settings
    Network Connections
    Right-click on your internet connection
    Click Properties
    Check the box next to "Show icon in notification area when connected"
    Click [OK]

    Austin M. Horst

    Austin,

    Thank you for your reply. I seemed to have lost that folder "NETWORK
    CONNECTIONS" somewhere. I did a search and my computer can't seem to find it
    either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Maxine

    "Austin M. Horst" <anonymous@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > [Start]
    > Settings
    > Network Connections
    > Right-click on your internet connection
    > Click Properties
    > Check the box next to "Show icon in notification area when connected"
    > Click [OK]
    >

    > Austin M. Horst

    Sorry I don't have the solution to this problem but I wanted to let you know
    that this happened to a friend of mine and I will be watching to see if
    anyone comes up with the answer.. it may not be relevant but at the same
    time my friend lost all functionality from windows defragmenter, could you
    check to see if this has happened to you too as it will help you to find a
    solution and help my friend too.

    cheers

    Andy

    "Maxine" <max@adiis.net> wrote in message
    > Austin,
    >
    > Thank you for your reply. I seemed to have lost that folder "NETWORK
    > CONNECTIONS" somewhere. I did a search and my computer can't seem to find
    > it either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Maxine
    >

    > "Austin M. Horst" <anonymous@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> [Start]
    >> Settings
    >> Network Connections
    >> Right-click on your internet connection
    >> Click Properties
    >> Check the box next to "Show icon in notification area when connected"
    >> Click [OK]
    >>

    >> Austin M. Horst

    It's usually in Control Panel...do you have it there?

    Keith

    "Maxine" <max@adiis.net> wrote in message news:OVB$o5VOFHA.2532@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Austin,
    >
    > Thank you for your reply. I seemed to have lost that folder "NETWORK
    > CONNECTIONS" somewhere. I did a search and my computer can't seem to find it
    > either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Maxine
    >

    > "Austin M. Horst" <anonymous@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > [Start]
    > > Settings
    > > Network Connections
    > > Right-click on your internet connection
    > > Click Properties
    > > Check the box next to "Show icon in notification area when connected"
    > > Click [OK]
    > >

    > > Austin M. Horst

    Hi all,

    Try: Restore Volume and Net Icon to Notification Area (Line 320)

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Andrew Bailey" <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry I don't have the solution to this problem but I wanted to let you
    > know that this happened to a friend of mine and I will be watching to see
    > if anyone comes up with the answer.. it may not be relevant but at the
    > same time my friend lost all functionality from windows defragmenter,
    > could you check to see if this has happened to you too as it will help you
    > to find a solution and help my friend too.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Andy
    >

    > "Maxine" <max@adiis.net> wrote in message
    >> Austin,
    >>
    >> Thank you for your reply. I seemed to have lost that folder "NETWORK
    >> CONNECTIONS" somewhere. I did a search and my computer can't seem to find
    >> it either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Maxine
    >>

    >> "Austin M. Horst" <anonymous@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> [Start]
    >>> Settings
    >>> Network Connections
    >>> Right-click on your internet connection
    >>> Click Properties
    >>> Check the box next to "Show icon in notification area when connected"
    >>> Click [OK]
    >>>

    >>> Austin M. Horst

Configuration Computers Internet Connection Windows XP