Current build.
2 x Crucial M4 128gb Raid 0

1X sapphire 5870 2gb link

Phenom II x6 1090T

MSI 890FXA-GD70 link

cooler master V8

1050w psu

16gb corsair vengeance 1600

I pretty much just play main stream pc games wow, d3, sc2 etc.

Maybe a little AutoCAD and light photoshop

My question: should I upgrade to the new AMD FX cpus? Like the 4300 or the 6300? Is the single threaded processing better? Is it worth doing with my current chipset? I have never used this cpu to its true full potential so i guess my question is do the new series cpus do the little things better than the old phenoms. Also. I use 2 24" monitors. Is it worth using something like a 7750 to drive the second monitor and just keep the 5870 dedicated to the main gameplay monitor? I tried this before with a quadro 600 but the drivers eventually caused havoc on my system.

Hi :)

To be honest you dont really need to do anything...

Your cpu is big and fast with 6 true cores (I run 1100Ts)

You graphics card is very powerful ( Those were the rare 2 gb versions , which I run a pair of in crossfire)

If you could find another 2gb 5870 to crossfire I would but if not that rig is fine :)

All the best Brett :)

jessepage1989

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
thanks for the response. I've looked for another 5870 on ebay but they still go for alot of money Link. $115 with 4 days left. Apparently the 58xx series is really good for this thing called bitcoin farming which is some silly form of currency. Anyway that's why these cards still fetch high prices being 2+ years old. I was wondering if it were just worth getting a dedicated gpu for the second screen to maximize the life of my 5870. I just can't see spending what will most likely be $200 for a 2 year old video card thats used and not guaranteed to work. Anyway if you thing the current setup is fine ill probably stick with it. I just have the urge to tinker with the system and get upgrades i guess lol.

I own computer shops in the UK , and we build a lot of custom gaming machines....

In your position, I would buy that card in a heartbeat... my two cost well over £1000 new....pay by Paypal and you cannot lose your money....

jessepage1989

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Thanks for the advise ill see where the price is in a couple of days. Also do you overclock your 1100T at all? i have my 1090t at 3.6ghz which is pretty much just running at turbo all the time so not a true overclock.

Nope I don't bother, never found any need to, I run Turbo but that's it...

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Ya you got a descent rig as it is and are at the point where minimal upgrades would be far from cost effective, Paying to much for to little increase. That 190t in my opinion is a stronger CPU than any BD and just very slightly behind Pildriver. The old phenoms have better IPC.....

I say wait another 6 months and go for a good solid cost effective upgrade:)

acasel

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Could not agree more..

My suggestion is to overclock your processor and GPU to its limit then see for yourself if you need an upgrade..

If you are not into mulit display PC. Your PC is still great..

Wait For Haswell.. The next big thing

I have an Ivy Bridge and Its too fast for my daily needs..