Solved

Intel i7 3770k Overclocking

I was able to grab a New i7 3770k for about $120 and I was wondering about overclocking it.

I read somewhere that with the i7s the cpu temp tends to get unstable when overclocking.
For example, the temps would randomly spike while doing many things, even when the computer is idle.
Is this a know issue? and if so is it bad enough to warrant buying another cpu?
Thanks in advance :D
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about intel 3770k overclocking
  1. I heard the temperatures rise more easily when overclocked (which involves tinkering with the voltages). As long as you have the CPU cooler to support the overclock and keep the voltage reasonable I don't see any issue.

    Consider the Hyper 212 if looking for a moderate overclock. If considering a very high overclock which is near the limit for the 3770k then go high end air cooling or maybe even custom water cooling if money is not a problem.
  2. socialfox said:
    I heard the temperatures rise more easily when overclocked (which involves tinkering with the voltages). As long as you have the CPU cooler to support the overclock and keep the voltage reasonable I don't see any issue.

    Consider the Hyper 212 if looking for a moderate overclock. If considering a very high overclock which is near the limit for the 3770k then go high end air cooling or maybe even custom water cooling if money is not a problem.


    I'm somewhat weary of water cooling, Would a CLS be enough i.e H100 for moderate overclocking.
  3. Best answer
    Certainly should be more than enough. If you are weary of water cooling then consider the high end air cooling.

    Take a look at this:
    http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1759/phanteks_ph-tc14pe_033.jpg

    As you see the H100 is closely trailed by some high end air coolers. One of them being this:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709001
  4. socialfox said:
    Certainly should be more than enough. If you are weary of water cooling then consider the high end air cooling.

    Take a look at this:
    http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1759/phanteks_ph-tc14pe_033.jpg

    As you see the H100 is closely trailed by some high end air coolers. One of them being this:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709001

    I have a 600T white and this would look sexy in ther :D, thanks for the respose man
  5. Best answer selected by sbudbud.
  6. sbudbud said:
    I have a 600T white and this would look sexy in ther :D, thanks for the respose man


    Hey no problem man, glad I was able to help. If you have any other questions send me a PM.
  7. socialfox said:
    I heard the temperatures rise more easily when overclocked (which involves tinkering with the voltages). As long as you have the CPU cooler to support the overclock and keep the voltage reasonable I don't see any issue.

    Consider the Hyper 212 if looking for a moderate overclock. If considering a very high overclock which is near the limit for the 3770k then go high end air cooling or maybe even custom water cooling if money is not a problem.


    I have the i7 3770K with a Cooler Master S524 and I don't understand why people say these chips run hot, they have a max of 105C, and mine stays under 80C even when I overclocked it to 4.7 GHz. You don't need to waste your money on a water cooling solution, just make sure you have high airflow through the computer case.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Intel i7 Product