GTX 670 4-WAY SLI Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Whats up guys. So i'm upgrading my rig in order to run my 3 Asus 27in 3D 120hz monitors in "3d Surround" or 5760x1080 @120hz.

Here are current specs: Other specs: i5 2500k @ 4.5 / Ripjaws 8gb 1600 CL8 / Crucial M4 256gb SDD / Spinpoint 2TB HDD / Corsair 1050w Pro / CM HAF X 942 / 3x Asus VG278H monitors (im selling my current EVGA 680)

So I was trying to wait for the 670 4gb versions to release(which they never did :fou: ) and i have my 3 Asus's here begging for power. I did see some benchmarks with 670sli and the extra 4gb did not help performance(not sure why)even with AA turned all the way up. So when the 670s came back in stock my trigger finger took over and got 3 of them for $399/ea. Then today i came across another amazing deal where i was able to get another EVGA gtx 670 for $250(of course i couldnt pass that one up!) Dont ask how, long story. And i plan to use the great EVGA set-up program to upgrade to the 4gb versions whenever the hell they come out and if benchmarks are good.

So my question is about placement of the 4 gtx 670 on my new mobo Gigabyte Z77 G1.SNIPER 3 http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-CrossFireX-NVIDIA-Motherboard-G1-SNIPER/dp/B007R21KAI
This is going to be my first time using 4 GPUs and by the looks of it they will sit right next to each other with no space in between. How will they get adequate cooling? I have seen similar setups with all the GPUs touching each other before, but never inquired about it. Two good things:
#1 the evga gtx 670 is almost completely enclosed with all exhaust coming out back vents out of case.
#2 my CM HAF X 942 case has amazing flow and a huge 240mm(i think) fan on side blowing fresh cool air right on the GPUs.
So will i have a problem with the GPUs being next to each other? Do i need to look for another method of cooling?

BTW i know 670s 3-way and 4-way SLI are still not working properly, i'm putting my trust into Nvidia to come through promptly!! But Nvidias driver team has always been top notch, so im not too worried.

Solution

A couple things you might want to know.

You may want to make a nice little Aero script to toggle it on and off, so you don't have to go to your themes, which an be very sluggish:
@echo off
sc interrogate uxsms | find "1062"
if %errorlevel%==0 goto :sc_start
sc stop uxsms
exit

:sc_start
sc start uxsms
exit

Put that in a .bat file. I created an extended toolbar on the taskbar for that and a few other useful...
Hi

I'd try out all four cards first of all and see what the temps are like, they may be acceptable (although possibly loud).

Most aftermarket coolers are either larger than 2 slots (so wouldn't be compatible with your setup) or they expel all the hot air inside your case which isn't ideal.

Have you considered watercooling?

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
too late 4 670s already being shipped. like i said i had just bought 3 670s and i was going to have some extra room, but then a 670 came up for $250 and i couldnt pass. but my Coolermaster case has tons of space. Are you positive i couldnt run the 4 670s on air even at stock speeds. the new 600 seried run pretty cool.

maxh22

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

They have already released it, Driver: 301.42 is the one that fixes the 4 way SLI isue :D

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Does that board have any connections below the bottom pci-e slot such as a USB or the power/reset/hdd led/internal speaker? If so, then you will need to bend all the wires over to the point of possibly breaking them to get the bottom card to fit. I have two motherboards with 4 double spaced pci-e slots and each one has that issue with the bottom pci-e slot. I tried running a 6990 and two 6970's with each card touching the other and even with rubber spacers inbetween the cards for airflow, they still ran almost 10 degrees hotter. With the stock cooler the 6990 ran at max 85 degrees at stock fan settings and it went up to 95 degrees when a 6970 was installed directly below it. Part of the problem was the back of a gpu is pretty hot to the touch and that heat really has nowhere to go but into the blower of the card above it. I even had a 230mm sidemount fan blowing down on the cards and it did not help much.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Yes I have the same 230mm side fan on the HAF X case. These new GTX 600 series cards run pretty cool from what I've seen. My GTX 680(which in selling) would only get up to 48 degree max temp at 100% full load with GPU OC 200mhz over stock speeds (1268mhz) to the core with fans @ 85%. So if 10 degrees is all it increases then I will be ok.

I do see what you are saying about the ports under the 4th card slot. I will have to try to work my way around it. The rubber spacers is a good idea, I will try that. Thanks.

peanut_316

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Hello sir

Nvidia Driver release does not put 670gtx to 4way sli if it did id be getting a 4th 570gtx :)

once all the parts come in use the 3way SLI bridge that comes with the mobo
Configure the 670s to 3way sli and use the 4th for PHysix

sry guy :(

When I installed my GTX 680's, I first tried them both in the x16 slots, which leave no space between the cards. I was hopeful due to the design of the cards where the back part tapers off a little, to create a little extra air space. It worked, however, I noticed that MSI Afterburner was reading the top card getting to about 90C and the fan got up to about 75-80%. Needless to say, it was fairly loud and I wasn't comfortable with the heat.

I switched the cards into a x16/x8 configuration with 3 slots of space between the cards. I lost about 3% performance, but the cards never go over 80C with 60% fan speeds, which is pretty quiet.

I'm sticking with the x16/x8 configuration. Noise matters to me.

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

3x 2GB cards =/= 6GB

3x 2GB cards still only = 2GB

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
"....my trigger finger took over and got 3 of them for $399/ea. Then today i came across another amazing deal where i was able to get another EVGA gtx 670 for $250(of course i couldnt pass that one up!) "

[-->$1447 gfx...damn!]

"BTW i know 670s 3-way and 4-way SLI are still not working properly, i'm putting my trust into Nvidia to come through promptly!! But Nvidias driver team has always been top notch, so im not too worried. "

--> The faith is strong in this one. If nvidia dosen't pull through can you send me 1 (or 2) ? ;)

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
When I crossfired some 4850s I was getting really high temps that forced my computer to restart. I bought some after market heat sinks (Zalman VF1000) which brought temps down dramatically.

If you don't want to go the water cooling route you could try some after market heat sinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.