Gpu for 1440x900 gaming

kifilshah

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Hai friends,
I am planning to build my first gaming PC. Which GPU should i go for if I want to play all 2012 games in highest graphics settings?
i am considering an nvidia GTX 550 ti but is it necessary or would a low end gpu do the job?i have read that at low res, games depend less on GPUs.
I ll be getting an i3-2120 since i cant afford an i5.

PLEASE help me with this as i am really new to PC gaming and very very confused :( :(

kifilshah

Honorable
May 25, 2012
still i would prob try to get the i5 2500k
but it wouldn't future proof your system at all. I wouldn't consider anything under an HD 7770.

thanks guys :)

but i m just lookin at another 12 or 18 months..so i really dont need a future proof system since i ll be getting a gaming lapto after that, i just wanna play all 2012 games in high graphics. do i still need those gpus?

RESOLUTION IS IRRELEVANT

seriously dont know why people think you make a rig around or to support a resolution do you think a game from 10 years ago will will work the same as a modern game at the same given resolution? HELL NO

buy the best card you can afford or save up for a monster card and do it right

gaming laptop? unless your made of money there a joke

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
6870 dude, they're cheap, and will play every/anything at your res with ALLLL the eyecandy!

and an defo an i5, but man an i3 is still pretty damn good, I mean for your res at the moment, an i5 aint gonna make a *** difference, hell unless you use your Pc for video editing, you WILL NOTICE NOTHING between an i5 and an i3!

an i3 will suffice for 'high end' gaming, even at FullHD. Don't let the i5 fanbois make you spend your hard earned cash on something you don't (and won't) need sunshine.

But ***, it's your money, don't let any of us tell you how spend it, just listen and take advice, not instruction.

grumbledook

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Once again people have no concept about size and portability. Sure, a gaming laptop gives a lot worse performance per $ than a desktop but a desktop is a lot more hassle to move around and they're often big ugly towers. And how on earth is resolution irrelevant? That's got to be one of the strangest things I've read here. A monitor doesn't live 10 years now and you'll probably have changed your gpu twice by that time anyway.

a 550ti or a 6850 should be more than enough OP. The 2120 cpu is great btw, it gives excellent value and plays pretty much every game superbly.

grumbledook

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

Glad to see someone else not on the 2500k for everything bandwagon. Most people don't overclock and if you don't getting the K is meaningless, and if you do you'll need a better cooler and you'll also void your warranty (unless you get a more expensive OC warranty). The 2500k is the best value for the enthusiast high end gaming but not for most people. Hell, even the sub i3 pentium line is actually good these days.

Not sure how resolution is irrelevant. If you are gaming on a low resolution there is no need to buy the best card you can afford. Its wasted power. So apache_lives stop spouting bull$hit. Bout the dumbest thing ive seen posted here by someone "in the know". Can put the saved money towards other components if hes gonna stay at that resolution.

kifilshah

Honorable
May 25, 2012
thanks a lot guys :)
i think i ll go with an hd 6850 or 6770[ cozi heard i ll get a really good deal on this]

one more thing guys..

what motherboard should i go for [less than $100] with such a graphics card and an i3 2120 [with usb 3.0 preferably]

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

for low resolution gaming all the major work(in the sense all the processing) depends on CPU, so a hd 5770(old but very good) can do the job so go for hd 6850,6870, even sub $100 gpus do the job fine. and for the processor lot of people doesn't need the i5 unlocked processor.

the deference will appear in ultra high end games with ultra settings. like crisis war head so you can buy i3

:sol: