Sign in with
Your question

First ever build. Opinions, feedback, and advice wanted.

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 18, 2012 4:04:02 PM

Hello all,

This will be my first ever "from scratch" build. I'm looking to build a nice gaming PC for around $1,000. I would like it to be able to play recent games (Crysis, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, etc.) on the highest settings. I like to think that I have a fairly good background in technology, but I've never built my own system before, so I'm looking at this not only as an opportunity to build a kick ass system, but as a learning opportunity as well, since I don't really keep up with the latest and greatest in the hardware out there. I've been a laptop guy my entire life, so seeing the amount of options and configurations is just overwhelming to say the least. This also means I don't have the basics like a monitor and case. Anyway, for my build I would like to focus on future upgradability, bang for the buck, and ease. I've tried to do a little research and come up with a build on my own, and would just like some honest opinions, feedback, and advice on how I can make the system better fit my needs. Also, I'm not in a huge rush to get this done (maybe in the next 6 months or so) so let me know if I should hold off a bit longer on the purchase or if it is safe to pull the trigger. Another note: While I would like to keep it within the $1,000 range, my three points of upgradability, bang for the buck, and ease take precedence to price. THANKS in advance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($197.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($168.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On ihes112-04 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($48.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1285.76
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

More about : build opinions feedback advice wanted

July 18, 2012 4:12:58 PM

I don't think I would spend that much on a motherboard and PSU in that kind of a budget. However, I will say that it's a bad idea to spread buying parts for a build over that length of time - you never know if something is not going to work, and by the time you get it completed the 60 day return policy of most stores will be gone, so you'd be SOL.

For $1K I'd switch up that whole build. Go with something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($132.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1034.78
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Gives you a way more powerful GPU, better case, more suitable PSU, and everything else.
July 18, 2012 4:28:39 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I wasn't planning on spreading the build out, what I was saying was that I was planning on buying a system within the next 6 months. If I should buy it now, or wait for better hardware coming in that time frame. I was trying to give my system some upgradability which is why I chose the higher end motherboard and PSU. The motherboard seemed to have every single port out there plus some, and the PSU could handle future upgrades of video cards if I wanted in the future to do Crossfire or upgrade to a new system completely.
July 18, 2012 5:07:33 PM

diddypat67 said:
Thanks for the quick reply! I wasn't planning on spreading the build out, what I was saying was that I was planning on buying a system within the next 6 months. If I should buy it now, or wait for better hardware coming in that time frame. I was trying to give my system some upgradability which is why I chose the higher end motherboard and PSU. The motherboard seemed to have every single port out there plus some, and the PSU could handle future upgrades of video cards if I wanted in the future to do Crossfire or upgrade to a new system completely.

Oh OK - if you wait I don't think there's anything major coming down the pipeline right now. All the new CPUs and GPUs have been released except for the GTX 660TI but unless that's as good as the 670 is I don't know if it will be worth waiting or not.

The PSU will handle just about any video card right now since the new ones are more energy efficient than ever.

That motherboard is an excellent bang-for-buck option which is why it's so heavily recommended.
!