My old gaming rig...Graphic card dead.

electricfirebolt

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2012
Well yesterday I switched my computer on to be given a nice black screen with the monitor saying "No signal", so I took the graphics card out to find that the onboard graphics worked. So im getting a new gaming pc shortly, well building one. Anyway im going to be purchasing a 8800gts, my old card was a 9600GT and has been in my old gaming pc for over 5 years... What is your oppinion on the 8800gts.

Hi

Is the 8800GTS going in your new gaming PC, or just a stop gap until you build your new gaming PC?

My opinion is that the 8800GTS will still play today's games fairly well at a resolution like 1280 x 1024 or similar. Its certainly going to struggle with the more demanding games like Metro 2033 and Battlefield 3, but it'll handle Call of Duty and other less demanding games just fine.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

hope ur not paying much for it like more than 30bucks, ive sold alot better and only got 50bucks on ebay

Anaximander

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Don't suppose you're willing to make an attempt at fixing it/Have a heatgun handy?
My video card did the exact same thing 2 years ago, still works after I did a reflow.

If theirs no visible physical problems apparent on the vid card (Bad/raised capacitors in particular) the video card's BGA GPU/RAM chips may have broken solder joints... you could remove the heatsink, cover the top of the card with tinfoil (3 sheets), cut out holes for the ram (If it's the square BGA chips) and gpu chips, then spend 20-30 minutes (First 10 on low setting, next 10 on high, last 10 on low) waving a heat gun 1-foot to 1/4 foot at it, gradually moving closer as you heat the chips up/further away after the 20 minute mark (So the chip/solder experiences a gradual increase then decline in temperature)...
Make sure to heat the board up in a heat-proof working area though. Also, you could google "BGA/Heatgun reflow" for some more info/videos giving a decent idea as to how to go about it.

you can consult the hierarchy chart here.
www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Its either on the same level or several below the 9600GT depending on which 8800GTS model it is. Other than that I don't have anything specific. I would consider a more modern card due to heat/power though. the 6670 would be good

electricfirebolt

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2012
Just thought id update you guys, I bought an 8800GTS 640mb earlier today also I took the fan and case of graphics card and gave it thorough clean, put it back together and switched computer on and to be amazement it worked! So im happy now. Now to focus back on my new build.