500W Tagan PSU

Hi Tomshardware peeps,

For the last few weeks there was a loud buzzing sound coming from the area of the PSU, I didn't think too much of it first but then I noticed when the buzzing would kick in and cut out - it got much much worse whenever there was a heavy graphical load on whatever game I was playing at the time - especially when there was heavy post processing taking place.

I replaced it with a new Sharkoon WPM600 600W PSU and the difference (to me) seems extraordinary, I swear fps are increased, no slow downs, incredibly 'snappy' responsiveness.

My question is: is it really possible for a new PSU to have such such effects, and equally, a PSU going bad to screw stuff up like that? Was it really worth swapping it out or am I imagining it?

My rig:

i5 2500k @ 4Ghz
8Gb RAM
80Gb SSD / 500Gb HD
Old 500W Tagan PSU replaced with Sharkoon WPM600

Thanks, Chris
3 answers Last reply
More about 500w tagan
  1. You did right by changing out the power supply unit, old unit could have done damage to other components. Have not had any experience with Sharkoon products so I can not comment on quality.
  2. The PSU powers your entire system. If it is not stable, it can affect..destroy parts. So yes, a bad PSU can do all kinds of bad stuff. Never skimp on the PSU.
  3. Yes. Computer parts often throttle when they do not have enough power from the PSU.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components