Your question
Solved

Does sli or crossfire make you graphics twice as good

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 25, 2012 11:44:13 AM

does sli or crossfire make you graphics twice as good
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 12:14:58 PM

Not really. It makes some significant difference but the scaling is not 100%. You can check out online for benchmarks using SLI/Crossfire and you will notice the difference
m
l

Best solution

a c 143 U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 12:47:18 PM

Yes it can reach 100%, double the performance.
Since the rise of the HD 4000 series, scaling became as good as 50% increase and maybe more.
HD 5000 series, scaled well up to 86%. HD 6000 series including HD 6950/6970 reached 100% in some games.
So most of the latest generations from AMD & nVidia scaled well, depending on the drivers, games that support CF/SLI.

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 1:15:16 PM

I wasn't aware that Crossfire/SLI had already reached 100% scale. Learned something today. Thank you for correcting me
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 3:16:54 PM

Twice as fast doesn't necessarily mean twice as good. Depends on your scale lol.

Basically it's a rather vague question.

But yeah if the OP meant how does it scale? Then it's anywhere from 70-100% depending on the specific system, cards, and games.
m
l
a c 261 U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 3:33:33 PM

Some games do not respond to cf/sli. For them, it is not twice as good.

There is also the issue of microstuttering, particularly with low end cards.
Read this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

Compared to a single stronger card, sli/crossfire will require a stronger psu, and create more case cooling issues.
m
l
May 25, 2012 3:38:28 PM

brocookie said:
does sli or crossfire make you graphics twice as good

Definitely not. You may or may not find the difference significant but you won't find the cost insignificant. Personally, I doubt most people can tell the difference without an oscilloscope. My advice is to spend your money on something paying dividends like a larger/better PSU.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 3:42:11 PM

ram1009 said:
Definitely not. You may or may not find the difference significant but you won't find the cost insignificant. Personally, I doubt most people can tell the difference without an oscilloscope. My advice is to spend your money on something paying dividends like a larger/better PSU.

This doesn't make sense. Getting a second card = performance increase. Getting a better PSU = no gains anywhere. Plus you don't even know what he's running.

And nobody uses an oscilloscope to measure... graphics? What does that even mean? If your game goes from choppy to smooth, it's noticeable. Also if your game was always smooth but you can increase the resolution and graphic settings, then again it's a notieceable gain without needing any sort of measurements.
m
l
May 25, 2012 3:49:53 PM

depends on the game, ur motherboard CFX/SLI configuration (x4 or x8) and also on the resolution.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 4:02:01 PM

Largely depends on the game and drivers for the particular game... but you can get double the performance...

Single 6990:

Double 6990:

Figuring the #'s I got close to 93% scaling across 4 GPU's.
m
l
May 25, 2012 5:35:33 PM

wolfram23 said:
This doesn't make sense. Getting a second card = performance increase. Getting a better PSU = no gains anywhere. Plus you don't even know what he's running.

And nobody uses an oscilloscope to measure... graphics? What does that even mean? If your game goes from choppy to smooth, it's noticeable. Also if your game was always smooth but you can increase the resolution and graphic settings, then again it's a notieceable gain without needing any sort of measurements.

Your ignorance is showing.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 5:42:50 PM

No, Actually you haven't said anything right in your first post. I'm also trying to figure out what you said but I still can't. :pfff: 
m
l
May 26, 2012 10:59:49 AM

Best answer selected by brocookie.
m
l
!