Gargling with marbles on mobile-to-mobile calls

Last response: in Network Providers
August 17, 2005 4:10:25 AM

Since my offices switched from SPCS to Cingular/ATTWS (we're in Oregon, and the
plant here was all ATTTWS), we've noticed sound quality is atrocious in one
particular instance; when calling from one C/ATTWS GSM handset to another
C/ATTWS GSM handset. Sounds like we're gargling with a mouf full of marbles.

GSM-TDMA is fine. Cingular-SPCS, Cingular-Verizon, Cingular-TMobile and
Cingular-landline is fine. It just seems to be in-net calls which are horribly
processed.

Some of our handsets are RAZRs, most are Treo650s and there's even a v551 and a
v180 in the mix. I've been on the other side of the call with a couple of
Nokias as well as a SonyEricsson, and the other side sounds as bad.

Is this a known problem?

How can it be resolved?

The firmware upgrade to the Treo 650 didn't help, at all, BTW.

Your kind assistance would truly be appreciated.

--
John Bartley K7AAY USBC/DO PDX OR USA
"This is a carburetor," Hank tells his son. "Take it apart, put it back together; repeat until you're normal." - KOTH

> You've been Cingularized !!!!
>

> All my calls are like that, when I can make a call or get a incoming call.

Funny, I have no calls like that, incoming or outgoing..
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 3:58:28 PM

John Bartley K7AAY telcom admin, Portland OR wrote:
> Since my offices switched from SPCS to Cingular/ATTWS (we're in Oregon, and the
> plant here was all ATTTWS), we've noticed sound quality is atrocious in one
> particular instance; when calling from one C/ATTWS GSM handset to another
> C/ATTWS GSM handset. Sounds like we're gargling with a mouf full of marbles.
>
> GSM-TDMA is fine. Cingular-SPCS, Cingular-Verizon, Cingular-TMobile and
> Cingular-landline is fine. It just seems to be in-net calls which are horribly
> processed.

Sounds like the audio is getting "cooked." In other words, the vocoders
for m2m calls are just enough out of sync to bring out the worst
possible characteristics in digitzing speech. I believe the technical
term is "excessive quantization error."

> Is this a known problem?

Only in theory, never seen it in practice. Someone may have been
careless with setting up M2M call handling in your area.

> How can it be resolved?

Well, Cingular has to fix it. :)

> The firmware upgrade to the Treo 650 didn't help, at all, BTW.

Not likely taht it would, it sounds like it's definitely a network issue.

> Your kind assistance would truly be appreciated.

I think you're going to need to take two of the offending handsets into
a Cingular store and desmonstrate the issue to a tech and see what is said.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
August 20, 2005 6:26:32 PM

In <11g9c15mmf5mqea@corp.supernews.com> on Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:58:28 -0400,
Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:

>I think you're going to need to take two of the offending handsets into
>a Cingular store and desmonstrate the issue to a tech and see what is said.

I know of no Cingular store (in this area at least) that actually has a "tech"
-- I think you're pretty much stuck with calling in.