Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unable to work my network

Last response: in Networking
Share
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 3:50:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hi I've three machines on a lan via a Netgear DG814 router. This runs
XPpro, another XPhome and the one I really want to connect to at the
moment runs W98se with an Epson 440 printer. I want to use the printer
butI can't get this one to see the others after all my efforts and
struggling through the help files/wizards.

Each actions the net fine but wont see each other.
I'm obviously missing something.
The network icon says it's connected but how/what do I do from here?
Many thanks in advance.
Jim

More about : unable work network

July 19, 2004 3:50:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

"J L Williams" <j.l.williams@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:2004071823502675767@zetnet.co.uk...
> Hi I've three machines on a lan via a Netgear DG814 router. This runs
> XPpro, another XPhome and the one I really want to connect to at the
> moment runs W98se with an Epson 440 printer. I want to use the printer
> butI can't get this one to see the others after all my efforts and
> struggling through the help files/wizards.
>
> Each actions the net fine but wont see each other.
> I'm obviously missing something.
> The network icon says it's connected but how/what do I do from here?
> Many thanks in advance.
> Jim

Hi Jim,
That's a pretty broad topic, so here's a bunch a tutorials that will get
you started:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+se...

Then you can come back if you have a specific question.


(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 2:00:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

The message <10fm3ni29bh6v6b@corp.supernews.com>
from "Larry" <larry2@GUNKisomedia.com> contains these words:

> > The network icon says it's connected but how/what do I do from here?
> > Many thanks in advance.
> > Jim

> Hi Jim,
> That's a pretty broad topic, so here's a bunch a tutorials that will get
> you started:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+se...

> Then you can come back if you have a specific question.

Thanks Larry for those but I'm now boggle eyed and no further forth.
I've connected all three to the Netgear router. They all access the 'net
individually fine.
I ran the networking wizard on this XPpro machine. It says that the LAN
or high speed internet is Enabled> Device name :Linksys LNE 100TX Fast
Ethernet Adapter (LNE 100tx) v4 #2

It made a floppy for the others, so I ran that floppy in the W98se
machine which has the printer attached that I want to acess This is (I
assume) a new network not adding to an existing one as defined and
referred to in the tutorials listed above (they say don't use this
floppy in the latter instance)

On this (XPpro) machine:-
It says the Connection Status is 'connected'
In properties it has all the right bits showing like client for MS
networks, file and printer sharing etc. Show icon in notification area
----which it is.

Switching on the W98SE and clicking network neighbour gets me the torch
looking for something.
There I'm lost and the tutorials are not helpful. I just don't know
where to go from there. My W98 book Simplified doesn't cover this bit.
Cheers
Jim



> (¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)
Related resources
July 19, 2004 2:00:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

J L Williams wrote:
> The message <10fm3ni29bh6v6b@corp.supernews.com>
> from "Larry" <larry2@GUNKisomedia.com> contains these words:
>
>
>>>The network icon says it's connected but how/what do I do from here?
>>>Many thanks in advance.
>>>Jim
>
>
>>Hi Jim,
>> That's a pretty broad topic, so here's a bunch a tutorials that will get
>>you started:
>>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+se...
>
>
>>Then you can come back if you have a specific question.
>
>
> Thanks Larry for those but I'm now boggle eyed and no further forth.
> I've connected all three to the Netgear router. They all access the 'net
> individually fine.
> I ran the networking wizard on this XPpro machine. It says that the LAN
> or high speed internet is Enabled> Device name :Linksys LNE 100TX Fast
> Ethernet Adapter (LNE 100tx) v4 #2
>
> It made a floppy for the others, so I ran that floppy in the W98se
> machine which has the printer attached that I want to acess This is (I
> assume) a new network not adding to an existing one as defined and
> referred to in the tutorials listed above (they say don't use this
> floppy in the latter instance)
>
> On this (XPpro) machine:-
> It says the Connection Status is 'connected'
> In properties it has all the right bits showing like client for MS
> networks, file and printer sharing etc. Show icon in notification area
> ----which it is.
>
> Switching on the W98SE and clicking network neighbour gets me the torch
> looking for something.
> There I'm lost and the tutorials are not helpful. I just don't know
> where to go from there. My W98 book Simplified doesn't cover this bit.
> Cheers
> Jim
>
>
>
>
>>(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)
I'll take a quick stab ...

A few quick things to check:

Make sure the Workgroup name is the same on all three machines.
Make sure you have at least one folder shared on each machine.
Make sure you have shared the printer on the Win98 machine.
Report back.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 1:04:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

The message <40fbd162$1_1@newspeer2.tds.net>
from RonS <ronsteinerNO@SPAMtds.net> contains these words:

> > On this (XPpro) machine:-
> > It says the Connection Status is 'connected'
> > In properties it has all the right bits showing like client for MS
> > networks, file and printer sharing etc. Show icon in notification area
> > ----which it is.
> >
> > Switching on the W98SE and clicking network neighbour gets me the torch
> > looking for something.
> > There I'm lost and the tutorials are not helpful. I just don't know
> > where to go from there. My W98 book Simplified doesn't cover this bit.
> > Cheers
> > Jim

> >>(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)
> I'll take a quick stab ...

> A few quick things to check:

> Make sure the Workgroup name is the same on all three machines.

Yup, MSHOME

> Make sure you have at least one folder shared on each machine.

Yep, shared

> Make sure you have shared the printer on the Win98 machine.

Yes, shared with no password specified, cus we don't want one. I presume
that's ok?

> Report back.

Thanks
Jim
PS Have only bothered with these two machines, will add the third when
these work, if ever :( 
July 20, 2004 5:58:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

OK

Go to a command prompt on each machine and type the command 'ipconfig' (without
quotes ... if it doesn't work try 'winipcfg'). This will tell you the IP address
of the machine.

Go to another machine and from a command prompt type the command 'ping
VVV.XXX.YYY.ZZZ' where VVV.XXX.YYY.ZZZ is the address you got from the other
machine. This will let you know if this machine can see the other machine on the
network.

Report back.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 3:37:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

The message <40fd6abf$1_3@newspeer2.tds.net>
from RonS <ronsteinerNO@SPAMtds.net> contains these words:

Thanks for coming back to help :)  Much appreciated.

> OK

> Go to a command prompt on each machine and type the command 'ipconfig'
> (without
> quotes ... if it doesn't work try 'winipcfg'). This will tell you the
> IP address
> of the machine.

From XPpro machine called JIMS
C:\>ipconfig
(request from zone alarm on this machine to access the net....answered yes)

Windows IP Configuration:
Connectio-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Adress...........................................: 192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask.....................................: 255.255.255.0
IP Address.........................................: fe80: :
204:5aff:fe5f:3dcd%4
Default Gateway...............................: 192.168.0.1
Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interfeace:
Connection specific DNS Suffix....:
IP Adress..............................................:
3ffe:831f:4004:1956:07cf6:aefd:a90f
IP Adress...............................................: fe80: :
5445:5245:444f%5
Default Gateway...................................: : :

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
Connection -Specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Adress...............................................:
fe88:5efe:192.168.0.3%2
Default Gateway...................................:



From 2nd machine called FRED (W98se)
C:\ipconfig
Windows 98IP Configuration
0 Ethernet Adapter
IP Address.................: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask..............: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway........:

1 Ethernet Adapter....: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask................: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway..........:

2 Ethernet Adapter
IP Adress.......................: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask.................: 255.255.255.0
Deafault Gateway.........: 192.168.0.1


> Go to another machine and from a command prompt type the command 'ping
> VVV.XXX.YYY.ZZZ' where VVV.XXX.YYY.ZZZ is the address you got from the
> other
> machine.

I pinged 192.168.0.2 from this machine (switched off Zone Alarm)

>This will let you know if this machine can see the other machine on the
> network.

Yes it did without me having to trype it all out.......got 4 replies, 32
bytes <1ms TTL=128, no packets lost.
Repeated on the other machine (W98se) for 192.168.0.1 (Router?)
Same reply
Repeated on the W98se machine for 192.168.0.3 (XPpro?)
Same reply.

> Report back.

To me that seems to say that they see each other :)  ?
So what do I click to print via the printer on the older machine?
BTW the driver is on the older machine as it's out of date for XPpro.
It's an Epson Stylus Color 440
Many thanks
Jim
July 21, 2004 3:37:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

J L Williams wrote:
> The message <40fd6abf$1_3@newspeer2.tds.net>
> from RonS <ronsteinerNO@SPAMtds.net> contains these words:
>
> Thanks for coming back to help :)  Much appreciated.
>
>
>>OK
>
>
>>Go to a command prompt on each machine and type the command 'ipconfig'
>>(without
>>quotes ... if it doesn't work try 'winipcfg'). This will tell you the
>>IP address
>>of the machine.
>
>
> From XPpro machine called JIMS
> C:\>ipconfig
> (request from zone alarm on this machine to access the net....answered yes)
>
> Windows IP Configuration:
> Connectio-specific DNS Suffix . :
> IP Adress...........................................: 192.168.0.3
> Subnet Mask.....................................: 255.255.255.0
> IP Address.........................................: fe80: :
> 204:5aff:fe5f:3dcd%4
> Default Gateway...............................: 192.168.0.1
> Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interfeace:
> Connection specific DNS Suffix....:
> IP Adress..............................................:
> 3ffe:831f:4004:1956:07cf6:aefd:a90f
> IP Adress...............................................: fe80: :
> 5445:5245:444f%5
> Default Gateway...................................: : :
>
> Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
> Connection -Specific DNS Suffix . :
> IP Adress...............................................:
> fe88:5efe:192.168.0.3%2
> Default Gateway...................................:
>
>
>
> From 2nd machine called FRED (W98se)
> C:\ipconfig
> Windows 98IP Configuration
> 0 Ethernet Adapter
> IP Address.................: 0.0.0.0
> Subnet Mask..............: 0.0.0.0
> Default Gateway........:
>
> 1 Ethernet Adapter....: 0.0.0.0
> Subnet Mask................: 0.0.0.0
> Default Gateway..........:
>
> 2 Ethernet Adapter
> IP Adress.......................: 192.168.0.2
> Subnet Mask.................: 255.255.255.0
> Deafault Gateway.........: 192.168.0.1
>
>
>
>>Go to another machine and from a command prompt type the command 'ping
>>VVV.XXX.YYY.ZZZ' where VVV.XXX.YYY.ZZZ is the address you got from the
>>other
>>machine.
>
>
> I pinged 192.168.0.2 from this machine (switched off Zone Alarm)
>
>
>>This will let you know if this machine can see the other machine on the
>>network.
>
>
> Yes it did without me having to trype it all out.......got 4 replies, 32
> bytes <1ms TTL=128, no packets lost.
> Repeated on the other machine (W98se) for 192.168.0.1 (Router?)
> Same reply
> Repeated on the W98se machine for 192.168.0.3 (XPpro?)
> Same reply.
>
>
>>Report back.
>
>
> To me that seems to say that they see each other :)  ?
> So what do I click to print via the printer on the older machine?
> BTW the driver is on the older machine as it's out of date for XPpro.
> It's an Epson Stylus Color 440
> Many thanks
> Jim

Sounds like Zone Alarm may be getting getting in your way, since you had to turn
it off to get the pings through. Just for testing ... make sure it's off and
we'll get it back again once you're happily printing.

So now ... go to Windows explorer on JIMS and enter 192.168.0.2 in the address
bar. You should see the the folders and printers shared by FRED.

Report back.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 12:46:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

The message <40fdb8cb$1_1@newspeer2.tds.net>
from RonS <ronsteinerNO@SPAMtds.net> contains these words:

> > I pinged 192.168.0.2 from this machine (switched off Zone Alarm)
> >
> >
> >>This will let you know if this machine can see the other machine on the
> >>network.
> >
> >
> > Yes it did without me having to trype it all out.......got 4 replies, 32
> > bytes <1ms TTL=128, no packets lost.
> > Repeated on the other machine (W98se) for 192.168.0.1 (Router?)
> > Same reply
> > Repeated on the W98se machine for 192.168.0.3 (XPpro?)
> > Same reply.
> >
> >
> >>Report back.
> >
> >
> > To me that seems to say that they see each other :)  ?
> > So what do I click to print via the printer on the older machine?
> > BTW the driver is on the older machine as it's out of date for XPpro.
> > It's an Epson Stylus Color 440
> > Many thanks
> > Jim

> Sounds like Zone Alarm may be getting getting in your way, since you
> had to turn
> it off to get the pings through. Just for testing ... make sure it's off

Turned it of.

>and we'll get it back again once you're happily printing.

> So now ... go to Windows explorer on JIMS and enter 192.168.0.2 in the
> address
> bar. You should see the the folders and printers shared by FRED.

It said "This page cannot be displayed".
Cheers
Jim


> Report back.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 3:22:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

The message <2004072108465075767@zetnet.co.uk>
from J L Williams <j.l.williams@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:

> > Sounds like Zone Alarm may be getting getting in your way, since you
> > had to turn
> > it off to get the pings through. Just for testing ... make sure it's off

> Turned it of.

> >and we'll get it back again once you're happily printing.

> > So now ... go to Windows explorer on JIMS and enter 192.168.0.2 in the
> > address
> > bar. You should see the the folders and printers shared by FRED.

> It said "This page cannot be displayed".

On re-reading that after posting....there is no firewall on FRED.
Cheers
Jim

> Cheers
> Jim


> > Report back.
July 21, 2004 5:32:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

J L Williams wrote:
> The message <2004072108465075767@zetnet.co.uk>
> from J L Williams <j.l.williams@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:
>
>
>>>Sounds like Zone Alarm may be getting getting in your way, since you
>>>had to turn
>>>it off to get the pings through. Just for testing ... make sure it's off
>
>
>>Turned it of.
>
>
>>>and we'll get it back again once you're happily printing.
>
>
>>>So now ... go to Windows explorer on JIMS and enter 192.168.0.2 in the
>>>address
>>>bar. You should see the the folders and printers shared by FRED.
>
>
>>It said "This page cannot be displayed".
>
>
> On re-reading that after posting....there is no firewall on FRED.
> Cheers
> Jim
>
>
>>Cheers
>>Jim
>
>
>
>>>Report back.
Sorry.. I should have said to enter \\192.168.0.2 in Windows explorer on JIMS.
The \\ tells it to browse for a computer, not a website.
July 21, 2004 5:39:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

J L Williams wrote:

> The message <2004072108465075767@zetnet.co.uk>
> from J L Williams <j.l.williams@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:
>
>
>>>Sounds like Zone Alarm may be getting getting in your way, since you
>>>had to turn
>>>it off to get the pings through. Just for testing ... make sure it's off
>
>
>>Turned it of.
>
>
>>>and we'll get it back again once you're happily printing.
>
>
>>>So now ... go to Windows explorer on JIMS and enter 192.168.0.2 in the
>>>address
>>>bar. You should see the the folders and printers shared by FRED.
>
>
>>It said "This page cannot be displayed".
>
>
> On re-reading that after posting....there is no firewall on FRED.
> Cheers
> Jim
>
>
>>Cheers
>>Jim
>
>
>
>>>Report back.
Also try it from FRED to JIMS ... \\192.168.0.3 on FRED.
July 21, 2004 5:43:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

RonS wrote:

>
> Also try it from FRED to JIMS ... \\192.168.0.3 on FRED.

Also try \\FRED from JIMS and \\JIMS from FRED.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 3:25:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

The message <40feb620$1_1@newspeer2.tds.net>
from RonS <ronsteinerNO@SPAMtds.net> contains these words:

> Sorry.. I should have said to enter \\192.168.0.2 in Windows explorer
> on JIMS.
> The \\ tells it to browse for a computer, not a website.

It says that windows cannot find the 192.188.0.2
Check the spelling and try again.
Jim
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 3:25:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

The message <40feb7cf$1_3@newspeer2.tds.net>
from RonS <ronsteinerNO@SPAMtds.net> contains these words:

> >
> >>>Report back.
> Also try it from FRED to JIMS ... \\192.168.0.3 on FRED.

It says that "This page cannot be displayed"
Jim
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 10:20:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

The message <2004072123250075767@zetnet.co.uk>
from J L Williams <j.l.williams@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:

> The message <40feb620$1_1@newspeer2.tds.net>
> from RonS <ronsteinerNO@SPAMtds.net> contains these words:

> > Sorry.. I should have said to enter \\192.168.0.2 in Windows explorer
> > on JIMS.
> > The \\ tells it to browse for a computer, not a website.

> It says that windows cannot find the 192.188.0.2
> Check the spelling and try again.
> Jim

Ooops......that should have been "192.168.0.2"
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 3:01:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Thanks to all that responded to my pleas, it is now working.

Why? How? What? I don't really know.
This morning after booting I thought I'd have another go and double
check all the steps that everyone had said check/do. It was all
correct.....of course. I'd done this before several times.

But this morning when I went to print summat on Fred it found the
printer! Surprise surprise!
But it said the driver was not the correct one.
Well I know it is but I'm operating XPpro and Fred's is W98se. Well I
downloaded the 'selected' driver via Jims for Fred and the blinking
thing worked first time!

Marvelous everyone. Many thanks.
Jim (now printing like a good'un :) 
!