GTX 650 OC and Q6600 on a 460W noname PSU

Hi - That GPU will run on 460w (some mfg rec 400w, some don't), the issue is:
what caused your last card to get "fried"? Without further details, I would suspect the PSU.
Generally, the PSU's you get in prebuilt systems is not very good, and myself personally
would look to replace the PSU with a quality brand/model.

I don't know what quality PSU HP puts into the PC you have. Hopefully, someone who does know
will see this thread.

Tom

karlaleksander

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Brb going to open up my PC. @toyftw I honestly don't know what caused the graphics card to go out, because the first time the GFX card went it went under warranty and I got it replaced (I had a 9800GT and the card that went now was a HD4850 ).

Ah, 2 GPU's have blown. You need to find out why before you put another one in.

I still suspect the PSU, but can't 100% sure on that. There's a chance
it's sumthing else.

In any event, you should upgrade that PSU.

Tom

karlaleksander

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Thanks for the tips! I opened the case and the PSU was made by a company called Delta Electronics. My HP laptop has a power adapter from the same company ( I'm not a fan of HP, actually I kind of hate them ). When my GPU went out it showed weird colors on the screen and when I rebooted I saw the BIOS screen was f**** up. The cards vent runs just fine, at a good speed and its not noisy. Is there anything else that could've ruined the card?

Karl

Hi Karl - yes - there could be other reasons(short circuit(s) on mobo) for frying your GPU's,
but I'm not tech-savvy enough to tell you how to find another cause.

Hopefully, someone that is techie or geeky enough will see this and help.

You could also post this in the Graphics Card forum, possibly there are
people there to help as well.

Tom

Oh - Delta is an OEM, and makes a lot of Antec's better PSU's. However, they will
make based upon the specs and/or design of the brand contracting the production.
In this case HP.

karlaleksander

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
The temps were not so bad actually, i've gotten around 30-40 on idle and 60-70 while playing games like BF3 and GTA 4. Is it possible to fit a different PSU in that case? Is Fortron a decent company or should I look at brands like OCZ, Gigabyte and Corsair?
I found a 750W PSU for a suitable price nearby by Fortron.

PS! Off-Topic, I know, but would a GTX 560 ( which seems pretty huge on the picture ) fit into that case? As I mentioned before, I had a HD4850 and a 9800GT in the same case, so will it fit or should I look for something smaller?

Hi - the gtx560 will fit in the case, the hd4850 might actually be a little longer(9.0" vs 8.25"), at least on the models
I checked, so should not be an issue. Worst thing that could happen is you'd have to move
you hdd up or down(I had to with mine,but my card was 10.25"L), which you shouldn't have to do as you already had
the 4850 in that slot.

Tom

Nukedpanda

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
if i was you, i wouldnt go cheap on the psu (coolermaster, ocz, corsair make some quality ones). whichever one you get should at least be 80 plus certified, but thats my opinion.

Coolermaster generally offers "CRAP" PSU's (only a few silent pro models are good):

Cooler Master
MODEL WATTS PROBLEMS AND ISSUES REVIEWS
Elite Power 350 Lousy efficiency. Does not have two +12volt rails as advertised. No Over Current Protection as advertised. No Over Power Protection as advertised. Hardware Secrets
Elite Power 400 Poor efficiency. Noise and ripple levels very high. Hardware Secrets
Elite Power 460 Not 460 watt as advertised. Identical to Elite Power 400 watt model. No over current protection as advertised. Hardware Secrets
Extreme 2 475 Not 475 watt as advertised. Voltages drop below minimum allowed. Ripple and noise increase above minimum allowed. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 400 Very Poor efficiency. Ripple and Noise above maximum allowed. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 460 Not a 460 watt power supply as advertised. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 500 Very Poor efficiency. Ripple and Noise above maximum allowed. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 550 Burned during load tests. Not 550 watt as advertised. Could only deliver 500 watts. Very Poor efficiency. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 600 Burned during load tests. Not 600 watt as advertised. Could only deliver 450 watts. Voltages regulation out of spec. Very Poor efficiency. Hardware Secrets
GX-650 650 Failed efficiency rating. Failed load testing. Medicore voltage regulation. Poor DC output quality on 3.3V rails. Outdated design. Hard OCP
GX-750 750 Cannot handle heat at 750 watts. Ripple issues on the 3.3V rail. Noise level on +3.3V and +5VSB above maximum allowed. Questionable capacitor quality. Poor Voltage Regulation. Efficiency lower than advertised. jonnyGURU, Hardware Secrets, Hardware Heaven