Sign in with
Your question

DVI cable connection confusion

Last response: in Components
November 29, 2012 11:49:41 AM

I'm a bit confused on the flavors of DVI connection.

I have an Eizo CE240W monitor. According to the diagrams I've reviewed, it has a Dual-Link DVI-I input. However, it came with a Single-Link DVI-D cable, which worked fine on my old computer.

I've build a new PC with a GTX 670 video card that has both a DVI-I and a DVI-D port. It works okay if I connect to the DVI-D port but I get a degraded display if I use the DVI-I port.

So, if it works, what's my problem?

I have to buy a new cable because the current one is not long enough for my new setup. Almost all of the ones at the store are Dual-Link DVI-D and they didn't work - didn't even get a display on the monitor. Buying online, I can get whatever I need. Should I try to get another Single-Link DVI-D cable or should I opt for a Dual-Link DVI-I cable?

I just can't crack the code on what's compatible with what. I have a call into Eizo, but they are not known for their service after the sale.

What is the compatibility between the four versions: Single-Link and Dual-Link DVI-I and DVI-D?

November 29, 2012 11:57:52 AM

whats your resolution for the monitor?
Single link DVI supports resolutions up to 1920x1080 while dual link supports 30" resolution which is 2560x1600 i think

DVI I = Digital Video Interface Integrated meaning it can send DVI D (digital) and DVI A (analog) depending on your needs

also make sure when you have to monitor on to have the display mode set to PC and not TV when tinkering in monitor's settings
m
l
November 29, 2012 1:06:14 PM

Thanks, Alvine.

Resolution is 1920x1200 on a 24-inch monitor. If the ports on the monitor are DVI-I (Dual Link), why does a DVI-D (Single Link) cable work and a DVI-D (Dual Link) cable not work and would a DVI-I (Dual Link) work better?
m
l
!