Arcane Missles

Any mages having trouble with the arcane missle spells? Half the time I
just stand their in the pose and use up mana but no missles come out,
usually resulting in my death cause it screwed up my combos.
23 answers Last reply
More about arcane missles

    Yea i've had that problem a few times, some times it says the target is
    too far away when i'm obviously not, other times they just don't fire
    and my mana goes down. Annoying is a word i'd use.

    Diaboyos wrote:
    > Any mages having trouble with the arcane missle spells? Half the time I
    > just stand their in the pose and use up mana but no missles come out,
    > usually resulting in my death cause it screwed up my combos.

    Yes, I've always had that problem. I work around it by just avoiding the
    use of Arcane Missiles.

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:57:39 GMT, mikel <mikel@evins.net> wrote:

    >Diaboyos wrote:
    >> Any mages having trouble with the arcane missle spells? Half the time I
    >> just stand their in the pose and use up mana but no missles come out,
    >> usually resulting in my death cause it screwed up my combos.
    >
    >Yes, I've always had that problem. I work around it by just avoiding the
    >use of Arcane Missiles.

    Are you crazy? Arcane missiles are a crucial component of any mage's
    arsenal.

    But I to have the problem sometimes - we should not moan about it here
    - we should check the WoW tech forums and if not happy - log a bug
    report.

    Cheers

    Justin Thompson wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:57:39 GMT, mikel <mikel@evins.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Diaboyos wrote:
    >>
    >>>Any mages having trouble with the arcane missle spells? Half the time I
    >>>just stand their in the pose and use up mana but no missles come out,
    >>>usually resulting in my death cause it screwed up my combos.
    >>
    >>Yes, I've always had that problem. I work around it by just avoiding the
    >>use of Arcane Missiles.
    >

    > Are you crazy?

    Opinions vary.

    >Arcane missiles are a crucial component of any mage's
    > arsenal.

    Clearly not true, since it is not a crucial component of mine. Aside
    from the bug, the DPM is not so great anyway.

    > But I to have the problem sometimes - we should not moan about it here
    > - we should check the WoW tech forums and if not happy - log a bug
    > report.

    Here we agree.

    "Diaboyos" <diaboyos@aafa.net> wrote in message
    > Any mages having trouble with the arcane missle spells? Half the time I
    > just stand their in the pose and use up mana but no missles come out,
    > usually resulting in my death cause it screwed up my combos.

    It also happens to warlocks on the drain soul spell sometimes it casts but
    never leaves your hands just makes you glow really annoying as you use that
    spell last when the enemy is almost dead to create a soul shard.

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:31:39 GMT, "Diaboyos" <diaboyos@aafa.net>
    wrote:

    >Any mages having trouble with the arcane missle spells? Half the time I
    >just stand their in the pose and use up mana but no missles come out,
    >usually resulting in my death cause it screwed up my combos.

    Known bug, been there as long as I can remember (US open beta).

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    "Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:31:39 GMT, "Diaboyos" <diaboyos@aafa.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Any mages having trouble with the arcane missle spells? Half the time I
    > >just stand their in the pose and use up mana but no missles come out,
    > >usually resulting in my death cause it screwed up my combos.
    >
    > Known bug, been there as long as I can remember (US open beta).

    Yep - I bought the game 2 days after launch, and my 1st character was an
    undead mage - she had the same problem. Way to go, Blizzard, it's only
    been, what, 8 months?

    Pepperin

    pudj wrote:
    > "Diaboyos" <diaboyos@aafa.net> wrote in message
    >> Any mages having trouble with the arcane missle spells? Half the
    >> time I just stand their in the pose and use up mana but no missles
    >> come out, usually resulting in my death cause it screwed up my
    >> combos.
    >>

    > It also happens to warlocks on the drain soul spell sometimes it
    > casts but never leaves your hands just makes you glow really annoying
    > as you use that spell last when the enemy is almost dead to create a
    > soul shard.

    And to druids trying to cast wrath. But I always thought it was lag.

    Walt

    --
    Komdorron - Tauren Druid on Sunstrider

    Yeah as others have said it's a known bug, according to the Mage forums on
    worldofwarcraft.com it may have something to do with the terrain and the
    elevation of the mob in comparison to you.

    I usually find if I get the bug (which isn't THAT often I must admit) I
    usually just pop off a Fireblast, blink, and then arcane missiles again (and
    they work)

    Mat

    "Diaboyos" <diaboyos@aafa.net> wrote in message
    > Any mages having trouble with the arcane missle spells? Half the time I
    > just stand their in the pose and use up mana but no missles come out,
    > usually resulting in my death cause it screwed up my combos.

    But I to have the problem sometimes - we should not moan about it here
    we should check the WoW tech forums and if not happy - log a bug
    report.

    I logged a bug report the same day I posted here initially to see if I was
    the only one :-)

    "Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> wrote:

    > And to druids trying to cast wrath. But I always thought it was lag.

    Unless you experienced something else than I did, it is lag (the spell
    gets casted in the end, doesn't it?).

    Chris

    --
    [WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
    Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (14) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

    Christian Stauffer wrote:
    > "Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> wrote:
    >
    >> And to druids trying to cast wrath. But I always thought it was lag.
    >

    > Unless you experienced something else than I did, it is lag (the spell
    > gets casted in the end, doesn't it?).

    No.

    "mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote:
    > Christian Stauffer wrote:
    >> "Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> wrote:
    >>
    >>> And to druids trying to cast wrath. But I always thought it was lag.
    >>

    >> Unless you experienced something else than I did, it is lag (the spell
    >> gets casted in the end, doesn't it?).
    >
    > No.

    I was talking about the wrath thingie, I'm aware that this arcane
    missiles stuff is different and bugged (from what I've read here).

    Chris

    --

    Christian Stauffer wrote:
    > "mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Christian Stauffer wrote:

    >>> Unless you experienced something else than I did, it is lag (the spell
    >>> gets casted in the end, doesn't it?).
    >>

    >> No.
    >

    > I was talking about the wrath thingie, I'm aware that this arcane
    > missiles stuff is different and bugged (from what I've read here).

    Ah. My mistake.

    Christian Stauffer wrote:
    > "Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> wrote:
    >
    >> And to druids trying to cast wrath. But I always thought it was lag.
    >
    > Unless you experienced something else than I did, it is lag (the spell
    > gets casted in the end, doesn't it?).
    >
    > Chris

    You are right, they were casted in the end.
    Another interesting thing was: I threw about 6 mana consuming wraths at a
    kolkar and he dodge every one of them and did not aggro. Then he just
    vanished. Still wondering what was going on...

    Walt

    --
    Komdorron - Tauren Druid on Sunstrider

    "Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> wrote:

    > You are right, they were casted in the end.
    > Another interesting thing was: I threw about 6 mana consuming wraths at a
    > kolkar and he dodge every one of them and did not aggro. Then he just
    > vanished. Still wondering what was going on...

    Some kind of evade bug. Some months ago (boy, time flies) when my druid was
    doing the quests in the barrens, there was a bugged kolkar north west of
    XR (east of that encampment of ours and south of the oasis). Happens from
    time to time :o).

    Chris

    --

    "Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> wrote in message

    > You are right, they were casted in the end.
    > Another interesting thing was: I threw about 6 mana consuming wraths at a
    > kolkar and he dodge every one of them and did not aggro. Then he just
    > vanished. Still wondering what was going on...

    Mobs that are unable to path to you will enter a special flight mode, during
    which they both run away and automatically evade any attack used on them. To
    prevent someone from killing things from cliffs and rooftops and such.
    Occasionally a runner in this state will become bugged, and continue to
    attempt to flee even though it is unable to move.

    That is what you ran into. It's not too common, I've only seen it a few
    times.

    --
    Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)

    "We need a new Mario game, where you rescue the princess in the first ten
    minutes, and for the rest of the game you try and push down that sick feeling
    in your stomach that she's "damaged goods"... When Peach asks you, in the
    quiet of her mushroom castle bedroom "do you still love me?" you pretend to be
    asleep. You press the A button rhythmically, to control your breath, keep it
    even." - Joey Comeau on increased realism in gaming.

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:10:53 -0400, "Davian"
    <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:

    >Mobs that are unable to path to you will enter a special flight mode, during
    >which they both run away and automatically evade any attack used on them. To
    >prevent someone from killing things from cliffs and rooftops and such.
    >Occasionally a runner in this state will become bugged, and continue to
    >attempt to flee even though it is unable to move.
    >
    >That is what you ran into. It's not too common, I've only seen it a few
    >times.

    All correct, I just want to add that mobs that begin to evade regen to
    100% health instantly.

    Watch out for this, it can really mess you up if you start doing
    stupid things.
    Eg, Dire Maul north - as you come in you can walk down a ramp into a
    big rectangular courtyard. To avoid aggroing the mobs at the bottom it
    is common to jump onto the railing on the ramp and drop down the other
    side. However there is a ledge all around the side of the courtyard -
    it is about 1 tauren high = you can only get on it by dropping down
    from the ramp railing, and the mobs can't get to you there. Also in
    the courtyard are several packs of non-elite hyenas, whom you can AoE
    with great effect.
    Now imagine this: Party drops into the courtyard, but the warlock
    decides to be clever and jumps onto the ledge instead (to be asfe from
    hyenas). Party engages a pack of hyenas and the warlock, in accordance
    to plan, starts hitting them with Rain of Fire - this naturally makes
    most of the hyenas aggro on him, BUT since they cannot reach him on
    the ledge, they enter evade mode = most of the hyenas regen to full
    instantly and starts running round like mad and bumping into other
    hyena flocks (who then also aggroed on the warlock, couldn't get to
    him and entered evade mode).
    In the end the warlock jumped down, and was instantly sought out by
    10-15 angry hyenas that killed him before he had a chance to do
    anything. They then proceeded to rip the rest of the party apart like
    frail tissue paper :(

    Basically, if a mob aggroes on somebody and then give up on getting to
    him they enter evade mode - they _do_not_ just change to another party
    member. Outside mobs give up chase after a while and evade back to
    where you aggroed them from. Inside instances mobs _never_ give up
    chase, and will run around untill their prey loses aggro (dies, exits
    the instance, feign death, vanish, ...) or they become able to get to
    it.

    Another example is attacking a spellcaster from an inaccessible ledge
    - as long as he has mana and can shoot bact all is fine, the second he
    runs out and tries to run into hand-to-hand combat he enters evade
    mode.

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    "mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote in message
    > Justin Thompson wrote:

    >>>Yes, I've always had that problem. I work around it by just avoiding the
    >>>use of Arcane Missiles.
    >>

    >> Are you crazy?
    >
    > Opinions vary.
    >
    >>Arcane missiles are a crucial component of any mage's
    >> arsenal.
    >
    > Clearly not true, since it is not a crucial component of mine. Aside from
    > the bug, the DPM is not so great anyway.

    Really? At my measure (at L23) it is about equal with fireball for DPM
    (1.06 vs 1.07) and DPS (37.5 vs 36.4), and beats fireball when you consider
    that it never gets interrupted by damage. The only thing that beats it is
    frostbolt and that is only by small amount (1.06 vs 1.2). Then again AM
    beats frostbolt in DPS (37.5 vs 30). Does this balance change in higher
    levels? If so, how?

    "Diaboyos" <diaboyos@aafa.net> wrote in message
    > Any mages having trouble with the arcane missle spells? Half the time I
    > just stand their in the pose and use up mana but no missles come out,
    > usually resulting in my death cause it screwed up my combos.

    I noticed this for the first time last night. I was killing dragon whelps
    in SW redridge. I read in the bug forum that some are saying that it
    happens when you are different height from your target.

    "Christian Stauffer" <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
    > "Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> wrote:
    >
    >> And to druids trying to cast wrath. But I always thought it was lag.
    >
    > Unless you experienced something else than I did, it is lag (the spell
    > gets casted in the end, doesn't it?).

    I can say in the case of arcane missiles it does not. Mana gets used, but
    combat log shows no damage done. I thought at first that it might be a
    graphics glitch, but it really isnt doing anything.

    Yeah that's happened to me....rare but often enough to irritate.

    Adam Russell wrote:
    > "mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Justin Thompson wrote:

    >>>Are you crazy?
    >>
    >>Opinions vary.
    >>

    >>>Arcane missiles are a crucial component of any mage's
    >>>arsenal.
    >>
    >>Clearly not true, since it is not a crucial component of mine. Aside from
    >>the bug, the DPM is not so great anyway.
    >

    > Really? At my measure (at L23) it is about equal with fireball for DPM
    > (1.06 vs 1.07) and DPS (37.5 vs 36.4), and beats fireball when you consider
    > that it never gets interrupted by damage. The only thing that beats it is
    > frostbolt and that is only by small amount (1.06 vs 1.2). Then again AM
    > beats frostbolt in DPS (37.5 vs 30). Does this balance change in higher
    > levels? If so, how?

    As your level rises, the DPS of Fireball remains better, and the DPM
    improves relative to Arcane Missiles.

    Early in the game Arcane Missiles provide good DPM compared to Fireball,
    though the DPS is not as good. By level 30, though, Fireball is a better
    deal in both areas, even without considering the damage-boosting effects
    of Fire talents.

    At level 60, DPM of Fireball is something like 12% better than for
    Arcane Missiles, neglecting talent boosts. The best damage boosts for
    Arcane are equally applicable to Fire if you choose a 31/20 Arcane/Fire
    build, so, while you can get better damage from your Arcane Missiles,
    you can by the same method get better damage from your Fireballs.

    By the way, the protection against interruption sounds a bit better than
    it actually is. If you spend five points in Improved Arcane Missiles
    then *damage taken during channeling* will not interrupt the Missiles,
    but that doesn't mean they can't be interrupted. They can be interrupted
    by all sorts of things -- a warrior's Shield Bash, another Mage's
    Counterspell, a priest's Silence, a Rogue's Kick, etc. etc.

    There are still times when I use Arcane Missiles at level 60. They are
    not enough worse than Fireball that it's a terrible idea to use them,
    and sometimes you want to be sure that the melee people at the front of
    the pack know they are getting supporting fire. Arcane Missiles are good
    for this because they cast fast and provide continuous fire. Also, there
    are bad guys that resist the heck out of fire spells (Fire Elementals,
    for example), but are vulnerable to Arcane Missiles. (There are mobs
    that are totally immune to all spells, but we won't go there <shudder>).

Warcraft Games Video Games