The wireless network icon from hell (can't be removed; won..

April 3, 2005 8:58:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello,

I just got a new laptop, running XP, with wireless network capability.
The wireless is managed by an Intel application, not by the default
Windows application.

Thus, I want to remove the Windows wireless network connection icon
from the tray bar (or now known as the notification area -- the Intel
application has its own icon.) Should be simple, right? Wrong.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to remove it. Unchecking the
"show icon in notification area when connected" in the advanced
settings doesn't do the trick. That icon refuses to leave (probably
because most of the time it is not connected to a wireless network.)

So, resigned to not being able to remove that icon entirely, I decided
to at least "always hide" it, using the customization feature of the
taskbar properties, where I can set it to "always hide".

Unfortunately, it doesn't stay that way. After one or two reboots
Windows inexplicably switches it back to "hide when inactive" (and it
is never inactive -- it simply displays in the tray bar with the fat
red x on it.)

So, what must I do to remove (or at least reliably always hide) this
icon from hell?

Note that I also use TweakUI, and nothing I set there seems to help,
either.

Thanks.

Mark
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 8:58:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

What if you renamed the Windows wireless application and rebooted?

"Mark" <mark@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I just got a new laptop, running XP, with wireless network capability.
> The wireless is managed by an Intel application, not by the default
> Windows application.
>
> Thus, I want to remove the Windows wireless network connection icon
> from the tray bar (or now known as the notification area -- the Intel
> application has its own icon.) Should be simple, right? Wrong.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to remove it. Unchecking the
> "show icon in notification area when connected" in the advanced
> settings doesn't do the trick. That icon refuses to leave (probably
> because most of the time it is not connected to a wireless network.)
>
> So, resigned to not being able to remove that icon entirely, I decided
> to at least "always hide" it, using the customization feature of the
> taskbar properties, where I can set it to "always hide".
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't stay that way. After one or two reboots
> Windows inexplicably switches it back to "hide when inactive" (and it
> is never inactive -- it simply displays in the tray bar with the fat
> red x on it.)
>
> So, what must I do to remove (or at least reliably always hide) this
> icon from hell?
>
> Note that I also use TweakUI, and nothing I set there seems to help,
> either.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mark
April 4, 2005 5:16:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Either remove the card or disable it via the Device Manager.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Mark" <mark@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I just got a new laptop, running XP, with wireless network capability.
> The wireless is managed by an Intel application, not by the default
> Windows application.
>
> Thus, I want to remove the Windows wireless network connection icon
> from the tray bar (or now known as the notification area -- the Intel
> application has its own icon.) Should be simple, right? Wrong.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to remove it. Unchecking the
> "show icon in notification area when connected" in the advanced
> settings doesn't do the trick. That icon refuses to leave (probably
> because most of the time it is not connected to a wireless network.)
>
> So, resigned to not being able to remove that icon entirely, I decided
> to at least "always hide" it, using the customization feature of the
> taskbar properties, where I can set it to "always hide".
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't stay that way. After one or two reboots
> Windows inexplicably switches it back to "hide when inactive" (and it
> is never inactive -- it simply displays in the tray bar with the fat
> red x on it.)
>
> So, what must I do to remove (or at least reliably always hide) this
> icon from hell?
>
> Note that I also use TweakUI, and nothing I set there seems to help,
> either.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mark
Related resources
April 4, 2005 6:38:31 PM

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

>Either remove the card or disable it via the Device Manager.

What if I don't want to uninstall wireless? As I've noted, I'm using
an Intel application to control the wireless. All I want to do is to
remove the Windows wireless networking icon from the tray, or at least
"always hide" it (it won't stay "always hide").

Mark
April 5, 2005 3:27:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Mark,

I understand. Check within the application itself and not Windows.

--

!