Yesterday and today (password prompt window no longer auto..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello,

Yesterday, when life was good, when I booted up my laptop, it would
display my username *and* the password prompt window associated with
it. I entered the password, and I login. Just what I want (I have it
setup so it requires entering a password to login.)

However today, when I boot up my laptop, it no longer automatically
displays the password prompt window. I have to click on my user name
first to bring up the password prompt window. So there's an added
step to the process -- a small but aggravating annoyance, made even
more annoying in that I don't know what caused this change.

There's still just one user shown on the login window, and checking
through the users configurations (e.g., via 'control userpasswords2')
I don't see what's changed -- I don't see any "ghost" users (there
might have been some subtle changes, but what I'm not sure.)

So, what must I do to automatically bring up the 'password prompt'
window on login for a single user login configuration?

Thanks.

Mark
6 answers Last reply
More about yesterday today password prompt window longer auto
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Mark wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Yesterday, when life was good, when I booted up my laptop, it would
    > display my username *and* the password prompt window associated with
    > it. I entered the password, and I login. Just what I want (I have it
    > setup so it requires entering a password to login.)
    >
    > However today, when I boot up my laptop, it no longer automatically
    > displays the password prompt window. I have to click on my user name
    > first to bring up the password prompt window. So there's an added
    > step to the process -- a small but aggravating annoyance, made even
    > more annoying in that I don't know what caused this change.
    >
    > There's still just one user shown on the login window, and checking
    > through the users configurations (e.g., via 'control userpasswords2')
    > I don't see what's changed -- I don't see any "ghost" users (there
    > might have been some subtle changes, but what I'm not sure.)
    >
    > So, what must I do to automatically bring up the 'password prompt'
    > window on login for a single user login configuration?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mark

    Turn off the Welcome Screen.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Mark wrote:
    > Yesterday, when life was good, when I booted up my laptop, it would
    > display my username *and* the password prompt window associated with
    > it. I entered the password, and I login. Just what I want (I have it
    > setup so it requires entering a password to login.)
    >
    > However today, when I boot up my laptop, it no longer automatically
    > displays the password prompt window. I have to click on my user name
    > first to bring up the password prompt window. So there's an added
    > step to the process -- a small but aggravating annoyance, made even
    > more annoying in that I don't know what caused this change.
    >
    > There's still just one user shown on the login window, and checking
    > through the users configurations (e.g., via 'control userpasswords2')
    > I don't see what's changed -- I don't see any "ghost" users (there
    > might have been some subtle changes, but what I'm not sure.)
    >
    > So, what must I do to automatically bring up the 'password prompt'
    > window on login for a single user login configuration?

    Change to Classic Logon:

    How to change the logon window and the shutdown preferences in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291559

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi Mark,

    Open the User Accounts applet in Control Panel. Under "Pick a Task", click
    on the link for "Change the way users log on or off". If "Use the Welcome
    Screen" has been enabled, click in the checkbox beside it to clear the
    checkmark, then click on the Apply Options button.

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Mark" <mark@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Yesterday, when life was good, when I booted up my laptop, it would
    > display my username *and* the password prompt window associated with
    > it. I entered the password, and I login. Just what I want (I have it
    > setup so it requires entering a password to login.)
    >
    > However today, when I boot up my laptop, it no longer automatically
    > displays the password prompt window. I have to click on my user name
    > first to bring up the password prompt window. So there's an added
    > step to the process -- a small but aggravating annoyance, made even
    > more annoying in that I don't know what caused this change.
    >
    > There's still just one user shown on the login window, and checking
    > through the users configurations (e.g., via 'control userpasswords2')
    > I don't see what's changed -- I don't see any "ghost" users (there
    > might have been some subtle changes, but what I'm not sure.)
    >
    > So, what must I do to automatically bring up the 'password prompt'
    > window on login for a single user login configuration?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mark
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi Mark,

    This will only happen if you have no other users listed on the Welcome
    Screen, including the System Admin account and the Guest account. The Guest
    account must be disabled.

    You can use TweakUI for XP to uncheck accounts on the Welcome Screen under
    Logon that may not be visible to you. http://tinyurl.com/h8zs

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Mark" <mark@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Yesterday, when life was good, when I booted up my laptop, it would
    > display my username *and* the password prompt window associated with
    > it. I entered the password, and I login. Just what I want (I have it
    > setup so it requires entering a password to login.)
    >
    > However today, when I boot up my laptop, it no longer automatically
    > displays the password prompt window. I have to click on my user name
    > first to bring up the password prompt window. So there's an added
    > step to the process -- a small but aggravating annoyance, made even
    > more annoying in that I don't know what caused this change.
    >
    > There's still just one user shown on the login window, and checking
    > through the users configurations (e.g., via 'control userpasswords2')
    > I don't see what's changed -- I don't see any "ghost" users (there
    > might have been some subtle changes, but what I'm not sure.)
    >
    > So, what must I do to automatically bring up the 'password prompt'
    > window on login for a single user login configuration?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mark
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

    >This will only happen if you have no other users listed on the Welcome
    >Screen, including the System Admin account and the Guest account. The Guest
    >account must be disabled.

    Only one user is listed on the Welcome Screen (the one I login to).
    The Guest account is disabled.

    >You can use TweakUI for XP to uncheck accounts on the Welcome Screen under
    >Logon that may not be visible to you. http://tinyurl.com/h8zs

    As my original message noted, I am running TweakUI. It, along with
    Computer Management, does not show any "Ghost" users. I don't have a
    ASP .NET ghost account, either.

    Mark
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hmmm! Check here: Start/Run/Regedit

    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

    (note there is a space between Windows and NT).
    --

    > "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>This will only happen if you have no other users listed on the Welcome
    >>Screen, including the System Admin account and the Guest account. The
    >>Guest
    >>account must be disabled.
    >
    > Only one user is listed on the Welcome Screen (the one I login to).
    > The Guest account is disabled.
    >

    >>You can use TweakUI for XP to uncheck accounts on the Welcome Screen under
    >>Logon that may not be visible to you. http://tinyurl.com/h8zs
    >
    > As my original message noted, I am running TweakUI. It, along with
    > Computer Management, does not show any "Ghost" users. I don't have a
    > ASP .NET ghost account, either.
    >
    > Mark

Configuration Login Microsoft Windows XP