Hardware to run 3 monitors

catukf

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Hello, hi ive just purchased this computer
Gaming Computer i7 2600k 8GB DDR3 GTX 550Ti 500GB WIFI Asus PC Windows 7 HP64
and I 'd like to buy & set up 3 monitors to go with it. I,m not sure exactly what I'd need to do this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
If your motherboard has a connection for integrated graphics you can plug 1 monitor in to that, and 2 in to the video card.

But my understanding is that you cannot extend your display across 3 monitors with that video card. Nor does it really have the umph to do that anyway at any kind of acceptable resolution.

In the first option you would just need the appropriate cables, then set it up in Windwos or the Nvidia software.

catukf

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Update: Recently spoken to a technician and he's wondering how to connect 3 monitors to 2 video outputs?

catukf

Honorable
May 25, 2012

HI . I'm not sure if the first option is possible and if not could i combine the graphics card that comes with it with a second nvidia card to work with 3 monitors?

catukf

Honorable
May 25, 2012
I'm not sure the first option is possible. Could I purchase a 2nd Nvidia card and would it run the 3 monitors well?

randomkid

Distinguished

If your intention is to play games at 3 monitor, Yes, you need to purchase another GTX 550Ti to support 3 monitors. This is nVidia way for series 5XX cards. But even 2x550 Ti will not play smoothly on triple monitor. You need more powerful cards with large VRAMS (2GB preferably more ).

Triple monitor can be supported by single nVidia 6XX cards but it should be at least 670 to run smoothly.
AMD options should be at least 2x6950 or single 7950 but you will also need special adaptors or display ports in your monitors.

How much is your budget for both the video cards upgrade & the 3 monitors?