Dual core uses both cores for a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowReturns

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
hey,

i run battlefield 3 on my computer with a dual core (lowest res,and graphics) and still get 20fps, i was thinking of upgrading to an i3 but i just want to make something clear, when i play my game with my dual core does it use both the cpus or only one? and secondly what is hyperthreading? does it mean that both cores can be used on one task?

Solution
Battlefield 3 personally will use as many cores as it can find, in your case, yes 2 cores it uses. Hyperthreading is a virtualization of another core which doesn't really exist physically, adding a bit of performance but not as much as an actual physical core.

To my knowledge hyperthreading does not apply to games.

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
Battlefield 3 personally will use as many cores as it can find, in your case, yes 2 cores it uses. Hyperthreading is a virtualization of another core which doesn't really exist physically, adding a bit of performance but not as much as an actual physical core.

To my knowledge hyperthreading does not apply to games.

Solution

ShadowReturns

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

thanks for quick reply ill go for an i5

+1 for Headbomb

Right now most of the main stream or high end games are using around 3 threads (only a few are using more than this). Game programmers are getting multi-threaded performance by spliting the performance in to physic, graphics and sound. Hyper-threading is used last since it doesnt have the performance of the full core. So on an Intel Core i3 you might see the hyprer-threading being used more than you would on the Intel Core i7 since it has 4 full cores to be used first.

Status
Not open for further replies.