Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dual core uses both cores for a game?

Last response: in CPUs
November 29, 2012 3:11:32 PM

hey,

i run battlefield 3 on my computer with a dual core (lowest res,and graphics) and still get 20fps, i was thinking of upgrading to an i3 but i just want to make something clear, when i play my game with my dual core does it use both the cpus or only one? and secondly what is hyperthreading? does it mean that both cores can be used on one task?

More about : dual core cores game

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 29, 2012 3:15:31 PM

Battlefield 3 personally will use as many cores as it can find, in your case, yes 2 cores it uses. Hyperthreading is a virtualization of another core which doesn't really exist physically, adding a bit of performance but not as much as an actual physical core.

To my knowledge hyperthreading does not apply to games.
November 29, 2012 3:20:41 PM

Best answer selected by ShadowReturns.
Score
Related resources
November 29, 2012 3:23:27 PM

BuddiLuva said:
Battlefield 3 personally will use as many cores as it can find, in your case, yes 2 cores it uses. Hyperthreading is a virtualization of another core which doesn't really exist physically, adding a bit of performance but not as much as an actual physical core.

To my knowledge hyperthreading does not apply to games.

thanks for quick reply ill go for an i5
Score
November 29, 2012 4:01:37 PM

Get a i5-3570k. Unlocked and great for gaming.
Score
a c 190 à CPUs
November 29, 2012 4:29:47 PM

Headbomb said:
Get a i5-3570k. Unlocked and great for gaming.

+1 for Headbomb

Right now most of the main stream or high end games are using around 3 threads (only a few are using more than this). Game programmers are getting multi-threaded performance by spliting the performance in to physic, graphics and sound. Hyper-threading is used last since it doesnt have the performance of the full core. So on an Intel Core i3 you might see the hyprer-threading being used more than you would on the Intel Core i7 since it has 4 full cores to be used first.
Score
!