Sign in with
Your question

Pentium G860 or wait for piledriver?

Last response: in Systems
July 18, 2012 10:31:59 PM

I am looking at putting together a cheap system for games development. And a little game-playing (I like to call it "market research"...)

Intel Pentium G860 Boxed
Samsung EcoGreen F2 HD103SI, 1TB
Cooler Master Elite 360
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Noiseblocker XL1 120MM, 120mm
Thermalright Chill Factor 3
Antec VP550P
Corsair CMV8GX3M2A1333C9 (8MB)
Asus ENGTX550 Ti DC TOP/DI/1GD5
Asus P8H67-M Pro

The Asus MB has USB 3 ports and lots of HDD connections. The pentium is the most money I want to spend on a processor and will upgrade it eventually. The Antec PSU looks really good. The 550 Ti is good without being over-the-top.

At least that's my reasoning! :-)

My other thought is that I could get a piledriver-based system (when they are available) as compilation, archiving and so on would all benefit from the higher number of cores on AMD chips (I know that single-core and for most tasks they are slower than Intel).
July 18, 2012 10:52:49 PM

What sort of games will you be developing? Will you be doing any of the graphics work on the new games?

If you're doing any sort of graphical work beyond 2D sprites, I'd scratch the idea of doing a budget build of any sort. The rendering times alone will eat you alive - this is what high end hardware was really made for.
July 20, 2012 3:38:12 PM

Yes the system is not ideal but is well ahead of my current system (Pentium DualCo 1.8GHz)... My theory is that there are upgrade options in the socket 1155 motherboard to a strong i7 later on.

Just wondering - is it pssible to get PCIe 3.0 slots on 1155 motherboard? Or is this anoth point in favo of piledriver?

By the way I develop Java games. Good graphical work is always the main problem.
July 20, 2012 7:04:21 PM

Ags1 said:
Yes the system is not ideal but is well ahead of my current system (Pentium DualCo 1.8GHz)... My theory is that there are upgrade options in the socket 1155 motherboard to a strong i7 later on.

Just wondering - is it pssible to get PCIe 3.0 slots on 1155 motherboard? Or is this anoth point in favo of piledriver?

By the way I develop Java games. Good graphical work is always the main problem.

Ivy Bridge supports PCIe 3.0 so most Z77 boards should.
!