why is nokia neglecting business users?

Last response: in Brands
July 25, 2004 4:35:06 AM

i was looking at the new nokia models on their site, and i noticed
that the only model that fits a business user, aside from the bulky
communicator, is the 6260 . ALL of their other models are either
low-end models or gaming & multimedia consoles. the 7610 even has
video editing, who wants to edit videos on a phone?

when i was buying my phone last year, i was interested in the nokia
6600 (the 6610 predecessor not the new big one) but ultimately went
for the siemens s55. it had all the nokia features plus loads more
such as voice recording, bluetooth, reads text files + u can upgrade
the software yourself without having to go to a service center, all in
an unbelievably compact model.

only now are nokia integrating bluetooth across most of their models,
and only the 6260 has the s55 features + the ability to read word &
powerpoint files. they really should offer more than one business
model, not everyone wants a clamshell phone.

even the communicator is too bulky compared to the P900 and other
similar phones.

just wondering if others feel this way too or is everyone looking only
for multimedia features in their phone? anyone else feel they offer
way tooo many models with few distinctions between them?
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 8:13:09 PM

xander_q@hotmail.com (Xander Q.) wrote:

>i was looking at the new nokia models on their site, and i noticed
>that the only model that fits a business user, aside from the bulky
>communicator, is the 6260 . ALL of their other models are either
>low-end models or gaming & multimedia consoles. the 7610 even has
>video editing, who wants to edit videos on a phone?

This discussion has pretty much been done to death.

I started a similar thread recently and got the impression than many
people *do* want all these extra features (or think they do).

There are a small core of users, of which I'm one, who basically want
a viable replacement for the 6310i, but it seems the market has moved
away from the business users who just want a phone to be... well.. a
phone!

Nokia have evidently lost the plot or lost interest completely in this
market sector. Hell, they even call the 6600 a business phone when
it's loaded to the hilt with "toys" (and looks like one!), for want of
a better word, is bigger/heavier than a business phone needs to be an
doesn't even have a port to support a proper hands-free car kit.

To be honest I wouldn't even class the 6260 as a business phone. I
think it's design would be too awkward and flimsy for regular use, it
includes all sorts of sh*te most serious users would be better without
(FM radio, MP3 player, camera, film recording ffs???) at the expense
of battery life which is less than half that of a decent business
phone.

--
>iv< Paul >iv<
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 9:58:36 PM

On 25 Jul 2004 00:35:06 -0700, xander_q@hotmail.com (Xander Q.) wrote:

>i was looking at the new nokia models on their site, and i noticed
>that the only model that fits a business user, aside from the bulky
>communicator, is the 6260 . ALL of their other models are either
>low-end models or gaming & multimedia consoles. the 7610 even has
>video editing, who wants to edit videos on a phone?
>
>when i was buying my phone last year, i was interested in the nokia
>6600 (the 6610 predecessor not the new big one) but ultimately went
>for the siemens s55. it had all the nokia features plus loads more
>such as voice recording, bluetooth, reads text files + u can upgrade
>the software yourself without having to go to a service center, all in
>an unbelievably compact model.

Hold on a second - you say you don't want 'toys' but then say you
were thinking of getting a 6600 but chose something with EVEN MORE
features instead?

Please define exactly what a 'toy' is, in your opinion.

Gav
July 26, 2004 4:44:45 AM

> Hold on a second - you say you don't want 'toys' but then say you
> were thinking of getting a 6600 but chose something with EVEN MORE
> features instead?
>
> Please define exactly what a 'toy' is, in your opinion.
>

> Gav

oops i messed up, i was actually talking about the 6610, the 6600
wasn't even out then! i chose the s55 over the 6610 cause it has more
*business* features, voice recorder which is very helpful for keeping
track of little to-do things and is a big help when someone is giving
u a number or directions over the phone. bluetooth for obvious
reasons. s55 also reads text files which makes it very helpful to keep
snippets of info on your cell. finally u can upgrade the software
yourself!

these are all features that help me out in the course of my work or
general life. while it is nice to have a cam, it's not necessary.
neither is an fm radio or mp3 player. specially if they bulk up the
size of the phone.

and they really should simplify their naming schemes. its getting way
too confusing: 6610, 6600, 6260, 6620! they should have series with
distinct features. kinda like mercedes have the S-class, E-Class or
BMW have 3-series, 5-series... maybe they already do and i just don't
get it.
July 26, 2004 5:14:45 PM

Yea, OK, so it's got a camera, a radio and a MP3 player, but the 6230 seems
to me to be a fairly business oriented phone. It's got all the connectivity
you should need, bluetooth, IR, GPRS, WAP etc.
It looks business like, muted dark grey/silver design, no funny shapes or
weird keyboards, and its pretty small and neat. Fits comfortably in my back
jeans pocket or a shirt pocket.

I must confess however that I'm not a business user, just my 2p worth.

Cheers,

ChrisM.

"Xander Q." <xander_q@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> i was looking at the new nokia models on their site, and i noticed
> that the only model that fits a business user, aside from the bulky
> communicator, is the 6260 . ALL of their other models are either
> low-end models or gaming & multimedia consoles. the 7610 even has
> video editing, who wants to edit videos on a phone?
>
> when i was buying my phone last year, i was interested in the nokia
> 6600 (the 6610 predecessor not the new big one) but ultimately went
> for the siemens s55. it had all the nokia features plus loads more
> such as voice recording, bluetooth, reads text files + u can upgrade
> the software yourself without having to go to a service center, all in
> an unbelievably compact model.
>
> only now are nokia integrating bluetooth across most of their models,
> and only the 6260 has the s55 features + the ability to read word &
> powerpoint files. they really should offer more than one business
> model, not everyone wants a clamshell phone.
>
> even the communicator is too bulky compared to the P900 and other
> similar phones.
>
> just wondering if others feel this way too or is everyone looking only
> for multimedia features in their phone? anyone else feel they offer
> way tooo many models with few distinctions between them?
July 26, 2004 10:43:10 PM

t630 :)

"Xander Q." <xander_q@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>i was looking at the new nokia models on their site, and i noticed
> that the only model that fits a business user, aside from the bulky
> communicator, is the 6260 . ALL of their other models are either
> low-end models or gaming & multimedia consoles. the 7610 even has
> video editing, who wants to edit videos on a phone?
>
> when i was buying my phone last year, i was interested in the nokia
> 6600 (the 6610 predecessor not the new big one) but ultimately went
> for the siemens s55. it had all the nokia features plus loads more
> such as voice recording, bluetooth, reads text files + u can upgrade
> the software yourself without having to go to a service center, all in
> an unbelievably compact model.
>
> only now are nokia integrating bluetooth across most of their models,
> and only the 6260 has the s55 features + the ability to read word &
> powerpoint files. they really should offer more than one business
> model, not everyone wants a clamshell phone.
>
> even the communicator is too bulky compared to the P900 and other
> similar phones.
>
> just wondering if others feel this way too or is everyone looking only
> for multimedia features in their phone? anyone else feel they offer
> way tooo many models with few distinctions between them?
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 12:31:05 AM

Xander Q. wrote:
> i was looking at the new nokia models on their site, and i noticed
> that the only model that fits a business user, aside from the bulky
> communicator, is the 6260 .

If you consider the 6260 as a business model, how come 6600/6620 (the latter
in the U.S. markets) or 6630 don't qualify as business models?

I'd also consider the 62xx and 68xx as business models, even though they
don't offer smartphone features (which most people won't miss).

> just wondering if others feel this way too or is everyone looking only
> for multimedia features in their phone? anyone else feel they offer
> way tooo many models with few distinctions between them?

I think cameras and imaging features are becoming a de facto feature set in
business models too.

--
Tero Lehto
http://lehto.net/tero/