Help my cut down the price of my build please.

Potato13

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Next month.

Budget Range: Just need to max out all games on 1680x1050 while using the least amount of money possible

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, typing up school assignments, web browsing.

Are you buying a monitor and OS: No

Preferred Websites for Parts: DirectCanada or other cheap Canadian websites.

Parts Preferences: No preferences

Overclocking: Depends if it's easy or not.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments: I want to keep the price as low.

Here is what I have so far:
2iuavqh.jpg

I want to cut down the price of this as much as possible. Do I really need a 7850 OC to max out things at 1680x1050? Do I really need a 700W PSU? Please help, thanks.

Solution
Pricing typically do not include HST and sometime shipping. Some stores pricematch component pricing and/or free shipping to my understanding. Memory Express does better...price beats...have $5 shipping too.

On that bundle, I wouldn't trust that power supply. IMO, you are better off choosing your components and building it yourself or have someone build it for you (usually a $50 fee for PC assembly and testing...at NCIX).

Dave
You shouldn't need a 700w PSU to power your components, a 550w should do just fine.

Also, a 7850 will kick any games butt at that resolution, however, it might be a little overkill considering the price of the card, and if you have no plans to upgrade your monitor in the future.

I know for a fact that a Radeon HD 6870 does great at 1680x1050 (personal experience), but I personally feel a little uncomfortable getting something that's a few years old.

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012

That a great build you got there! But i would change a few things.

For instance, I would change the mobo to either a gigabyte ud5h or an ASRock Extreme4. I have an Extreme4 and cannot recommend it enough, seeing as it has tons of internal I/O connectors and its pretty cheap. As another option, the gigabyte ud5h is a bit more expensive but has a nifty dual bios which can save your butt when overclocking.

As for your questions, a 7850 can max BF3 barely at 1920X1080 so it should be perfect for your monitor. Also I would suggest maybe picking up an HIS IceQ version and overclocking it yourself. Im pretty sure its cheaper and has a great cooler. Also, if you want to upgrade in the future the 700W ModXStream will be able to support crossfire, but if you do not plan on it you can get one with a wattage of around 500W

You power supply has good reviews but I would suggest getting a brand that makes better, reliable PSUs like seasonic, silverstone, PC Power and Cooling. They are a bit mkre expenisve but you never want to skimp on the power supply.

Potato13

Honorable
May 30, 2012

The Extreme4 is so expensive :( Any cheaper alternatives with crossfire support? Also, I don't think I will be overclocking because I really don't want to break anything and it will also open up much cheaper motherboard options too. Crossfire in the future does sound good if I change my monitor or if games get more advanced so that's one feature I want to have for sure. I guess I should change my cpu to the 3450 too, is there any advantage of having intel hd 4000 when you have a 7850? Like that lucid virtu thing?

Potato13

Honorable
May 30, 2012
2d9ydd4.jpg

Okay so, I changed the processor to i5 3450 and I took out the motherboard and the asus 7850, Now can someone please recommend a good 7850 or other video card as well as a motherboard for non-overclockers that still has crossfire/sli support? I also looking for a psu, how many Watts should I aim for if I crossfire two 7850's in the future?

guerrero

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

no need for an aftermarket cpu for the 3450 since no overclock

guerrero

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

I cant find out if that's the V2

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Grab one of these http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2316882&CatId=7387
Nice and cheap and should be able to max settings at your res

And one of these http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2276156&CatId=6976
A step down from the UD5H but still has tons of features and is Crossfire/Sli ready

Potato13

Honorable
May 30, 2012

Thanks, well this is my final build and I think the price is still too high even though I tried pretty hard to find the lowest priced parts. If any part is overkill or there's a better deal on the same thing, please tell me, I think I should downgrade to like a dual core i3 or something.. :( The total is $997.63 CAN. (With HST)

2gvogid.png

lycros

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Is there any reason not to get mATX? It's inexpensive, it has dual PCI-e 3.0 for sli/xfire, usb3, sata 6gb/s, and it's made with quality parts.

And sorry for xfire, the 650W will be good, though you could probably get by with a less powerful PSU, but 650W is a solid choice.

Potato13

Honorable
May 30, 2012

Thanks, the total price is lower now but I know that an Intel i5 build with a 7850 will not get much cheaper than this. What do you think I should downgrade in order to make this below $800 (with all the taxes)? Will an i3 decrease fps a lot?

Potato13

Honorable
May 30, 2012

Thanks! I have a question, I have never bought anything online, so when I purchase these things, does the 13% HST apply? (I live in Canada).

EDIT: I just checked DirectCanada and the total for the ram is like $65+ because of S&H and the 13% tax. As a result of that, the total will be well over $1000 so. How is this barebone kit? http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2580461&CatId=333 I don't even need to buy a video card because Intel Hd 4000 is good enough for most games on medium to low settings with this and the total is around $650 with rebates. I can always buy a graphics card later.

DavidY

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Pricing typically do not include HST and sometime shipping. Some stores pricematch component pricing and/or free shipping to my understanding. Memory Express does better...price beats...have $5 shipping too.

On that bundle, I wouldn't trust that power supply. IMO, you are better off choosing your components and building it yourself or have someone build it for you (usually a $50 fee for PC assembly and testing...at NCIX).

Dave

Solution