User Interface from Blizzard

IMO the default user interface that Blizzard gives us is lacking. Very
much so. It's lack of functionality astounds me. So I, like many others
that agree with me, go out & get user created interface mods. All well &
good in the beginning. Then a patch comes. Now the mod doesn't work. I
need a new one.

The other day my wife & I spent about 2 hours testing different mods till we
settled on one. It truly pisses me off that Blizzard can't toss some
resources at their own interface. Some people like the challenge of
creating mods & some like the challenge of getting hacked mods to work. I
do not.

Seriously here. Blizzard has a cash cow going, we pay them good money
every month. Give us a interface with the needed functionality that is
fully customizable to make as simple or as complicated as the user would
like. I do not want to have to find a working mod every single time we get
a big patch. Every error, frame rate issue, connectivity problem, & crash
gets blamed on the user created mods. So make a decent interface so I don't
have to use the mods!

The way I see it, Blizzard designed in a way to easily customize the
interface, left theirs a shell that obviously requires modifying, & left the
modifying to the users. Now they don't have to put resources into the
interface as users will do it for free. Next thing ya know they are going
to promote user created content! This is NOT Neverwinter Nights.

FIX THE INTERFACE PLEASE.

Also posting this on WoW's suggestion forum.

ender

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote in message

> IMO the default user interface that Blizzard gives us is lacking. Very
> much so. It's lack of functionality astounds me. So I, like many
> others that agree with me, go out & get user created interface mods. All
> well & good in the beginning. Then a patch comes. Now the mod doesn't
> work. I need a new one.
>
> The other day my wife & I spent about 2 hours testing different mods till
> we settled on one. It truly pisses me off that Blizzard can't toss some
> resources at their own interface. Some people like the challenge of
> creating mods & some like the challenge of getting hacked mods to work.
> I do not.
>
> Seriously here. Blizzard has a cash cow going, we pay them good money
> every month. Give us a interface with the needed functionality that is
> fully customizable to make as simple or as complicated as the user would
> like. I do not want to have to find a working mod every single time we
> get a big patch. Every error, frame rate issue, connectivity problem, &
> crash gets blamed on the user created mods. So make a decent interface so
> I don't have to use the mods!
>
> The way I see it, Blizzard designed in a way to easily customize the
> interface, left theirs a shell that obviously requires modifying, & left
> the modifying to the users. Now they don't have to put resources into the
> interface as users will do it for free. Next thing ya know they are
> going to promote user created content! This is NOT Neverwinter Nights.
>
> FIX THE INTERFACE PLEASE.
>
> Also posting this on WoW's suggestion forum.

The interface is good enough for basics and they gave the users the tools to
make something individual. What's the problem? We should be so lucky that a
company made it fully customizable!!!

Blizzard adds a few features from mods (i.e. side bars, additional bars on
bottom, pets of group members...)
They will do in future too...
And:
<snip>. Then a patch comes. Now the mod doesn't work. I
> need a new one.
<snap>

Just open the "toc" file in every Addon Folder and write new version in
(before last patch there was 1300 and now its 1500) and all addons work
(they do for me...)
AND u can just activate all Addons even if they seemed to be to old.. they
still work well..

Max Madach ytrede sig i <3h3e7eFf2tfiU1@news.dfncis.de> med dette:

>Blizzard adds a few features from mods (i.e. side bars, additional bars on
>bottom, pets of group members...)
>They will do in future too...
>And:
><snip>. Then a patch comes. Now the mod doesn't work. I
>> need a new one.
><snap>
>
>Just open the "toc" file in every Addon Folder and write new version in
>(before last patch there was 1300 and now its 1500) and all addons work
>(they do for me...)
>AND u can just activate all Addons even if they seemed to be to old.. they
>still work well..

Actually they don't, at least not all of them.

I got some mods that kept creating error messages. It was actually so
bad that I had to log out while in an instance, to disable the mod and
log back in again.

This was because Blizz changed something with the party member icons, so
the CT-mod showing party health/mana as numbers and percents status,
created an UI-error every time a partymember was hit.
--
Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
"When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he

hmm. i use CT_raidassist and all worked well.. perhaps u havent update it?
If blizzard makes a new patch, i download directly all newest mod
versions... with these all worked fine...

Bruin wrote:
> IMO the default user interface that Blizzard gives us is lacking. Very
> much so. It's lack of functionality astounds me. So I, like many
> others that agree with me, go out & get user created interface mods.
> All well & good in the beginning. Then a patch comes. Now the mod
> doesn't work. I need a new one.

<snip!>

What, exactly, do you think is so lacking in Blizzard's interface?

I mean, I use a ton of mods myself, but only after a slow accumulation
of new ones as I found new ways things could be streamlined. What I've
got now would be imho an absolute disaster if it was flung at a new
player as the default UI.

What "needed functionality" is missing that makes the UI "obviously
require modifying" ?

Cheers!
David...

"David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Bruin wrote:
>> IMO the default user interface that Blizzard gives us is lacking. Very
>> much so. It's lack of functionality astounds me. So I, like many
>> others that agree with me, go out & get user created interface mods.
>> All well & good in the beginning. Then a patch comes. Now the mod
>> doesn't work. I need a new one.
>
> <snip!>
>
> What, exactly, do you think is so lacking in Blizzard's interface?
>
> I mean, I use a ton of mods myself, but only after a slow accumulation of
> new ones as I found new ways things could be streamlined. What I've got
> now would be imho an absolute disaster if it was flung at a new player as
> the default UI.
>
> What "needed functionality" is missing that makes the UI "obviously
> require modifying" ?
>
> Cheers!
> David...

For one - the ability to move windows around and resize them!

I love my mods, but I don't see why Blizzard doesn't just make the UI with
all the changes you can have in the mods - ie. number of soul shards,
allinoneinventory etc etc - it would be fairly easy for them to implement...

Mette

"Max Madach" <maxnews01OHNEDASHIER@web.de> wrote in message
> Blizzard adds a few features from mods (i.e. side bars, additional bars on
> bottom, pets of group members...)
> They will do in future too...
> And:
> <snip>. Then a patch comes. Now the mod doesn't work. I
>> need a new one.
> <snap>
>
> Just open the "toc" file in every Addon Folder and write new version in
> (before last patch there was 1300 and now its 1500) and all addons work
> (they do for me...)
> AND u can just activate all Addons even if they seemed to be to old.. they
> still work well..

I will check it out but dang I got alot of add-on folders. Thx for your
reply.

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:20:55 +0200, "MGA" <mga_ssinjin@yahoo.dk.dk>
wrote:

>For one - the ability to move windows around and resize them!

I got this more or less by accident along with a mod I like - I would
disable it if I could...

>I love my mods, but I don't see why Blizzard doesn't just make the UI with
>all the changes you can have in the mods - ie. number of soul shards,
>allinoneinventory etc etc - it would be fairly easy for them to implement...

I don't want to know my number of soul shards (don't play warlock) nor
do I want to lose my individual bags - I would be seriously unhappy if
Blizzard forced any of the mods that make you happy on me.

Fortunatly Blizzard recognized that you can never make everybody
happy, and thus made a very basic but useable interface _and_ added
the ability for players to modify it in pretty much any way they want.

I for one would rather get a small, fast and not-bloated-all-to-hell
interface that I can build on, than some huge, slow, all-in-one blob
where I will start out disabling half from the get go.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

"Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:20:55 +0200, "MGA" <mga_ssinjin@yahoo.dk.dk>
> wrote:
>
>>For one - the ability to move windows around and resize them!
>
> I got this more or less by accident along with a mod I like - I would
> disable it if I could...
>
>>I love my mods, but I don't see why Blizzard doesn't just make the UI with
>>all the changes you can have in the mods - ie. number of soul shards,
>>allinoneinventory etc etc - it would be fairly easy for them to
>>implement...
>
> I don't want to know my number of soul shards (don't play warlock) nor
> do I want to lose my individual bags - I would be seriously unhappy if
> Blizzard forced any of the mods that make you happy on me.
>
> Fortunatly Blizzard recognized that you can never make everybody
> happy, and thus made a very basic but useable interface _and_ added
> the ability for players to modify it in pretty much any way they want.
>
> I for one would rather get a small, fast and not-bloated-all-to-hell
> interface that I can build on, than some huge, slow, all-in-one blob
> where I will start out disabling half from the get go.
>
> --
> Regards
> Simon Nejmann

It would be nice to have the OPTION for others. Many don't use ANY mods,
but I can only assume that they have never played a game with a superior
interface & don't know what they are missing. In your case you may have &
didn't like it. I would rather that it had more functionality that people
like you could turn off that to not have it & people like myself go without
or use user created hacks.

"David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote in message
> What, exactly, do you think is so lacking in Blizzard's interface?

At launch, they didn't even have extra toolbars. That was the most grievous
shortcoming of the Blizzard UI. Now they do have extra toolbars, but they
don't have binding labels and range indicators like CT does. I still use CT
hotbar mod for this reason. This is what I consider to be BASIC input
functionality, and Blizzard didn't put it in their game. Unintelligent
self-casting is also a major annoyance. If I'm soloing and I click Bandage,
WHO THE HELL do you think I want to cast it on? These are the little things
that make the difference between playing a game and clicking buttons. Prior
to CT I felt like the challenge was in issuing commands rather than fighting
the actual monsters.

Then there is the total absence of map/buddy notes and other forms of player
journaling.

I don't think I need to say anything about raid monitoring. The default UI
simply dumbs down your raid group into five localized players, which I find
totally unacceptable. Thank god for CTRA.

> I mean, I use a ton of mods myself, but only after a slow accumulation
> of new ones as I found new ways things could be streamlined. What I've
> got now would be imho an absolute disaster if it was flung at a new
> player as the default UI.

As is the current state of Cosmos. Seemingly random collections of unrelated
and oftentimes redundant mods, many of which are built for specific classes
or purposes, is confusing and overwhelming to a new user. However, a
generalized mod suite like CT provides extended, needed functionality and
the learning curve is very smooth. Blizzard should aim for a UI such that
people do not need to get CT. As is, CT or a similar addon package is
required for any half-serious player.

> What "needed functionality" is missing that makes the UI "obviously
> require modifying" ?

By your own admission you use a ton of mods, so you tell me.

"Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote:

> FIX THE INTERFACE PLEASE.
>
> Also posting this on WoW's suggestion forum.

???

Am I the only one who has no idea what the interface is lacking
in your opinion after reading your post? What do you expect
Blizzard to do when you post something like "FIX THE INTERFACE"
on their forum? Should they guess what you're talking about?

Having that said, the base UI is good. For me, nothing's really
lacking there. I have some mods for comfort reasons, but I could
live without them. Fact is that blizzard implemented a very
powerful engine that allows people to write their own interface
extensions, and that is WAYS better than writing an extended
interface that some people like, and others can't stand.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (29) on DE Proudmoore [PvE]

> Am I the only one who has no idea what the interface is lacking
> in your opinion after reading your post?

To me, it's obvious. Although I did post when angry. Providing a list of
needed functionality would be more effective rather than just bitching.

>Fact is that blizzard implemented a very
>powerful engine that allows people to write their own interface
>extensions, and that is WAYS better than writing an extended
>interface that some people like, and others can't stand.

How could requiring a hobby to do the scripting necessary be "WAYS better"
than providing an "extended interface" that is fully customizable to make as
simple or as complicated as the user would like? The "others that can't
stand" it could turn it off.

Every error, frame rate issue, connectivity problem, & crash
gets blamed on the user created mods. Having some the ability to customize
is fine. Requiring it for some basic functionality (self cast, range
indicators on hotbuttons, player notes, a decent quest log for a few
examples) is what I have a problem with.

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

ASKF <nospam@askf.dk> stared blankly into space for a short while
before writing:
> Max Madach ytrede sig i <3h3e7eFf2tfiU1@news.dfncis.de> med dette:
>
>> Blizzard adds a few features from mods (i.e. side bars, additional
>> bars on bottom, pets of group members...)
>> They will do in future too...
>> And:
>> <snip>. Then a patch comes. Now the mod doesn't work. I
>>> need a new one.
>> <snap>
>>
>> Just open the "toc" file in every Addon Folder and write new
>> version in (before last patch there was 1300 and now its 1500) and
>> all addons work (they do for me...)
>> AND u can just activate all Addons even if they seemed to be to
>> old.. they still work well..
>
> Actually they don't, at least not all of them.
>
> I got some mods that kept creating error messages. It was actually
> so
> bad that I had to log out while in an instance, to disable the mod
> and log back in again.

I had exactly the same problem with the CT mod. But I've found that I
can live without it anyway :)

--
Doc
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with beer...

Max Madach ytrede sig i <3h3ikeFer41bU1@news.dfncis.de> med dette:

>hmm. i use CT_raidassist and all worked well.. perhaps u havent update it?
>If blizzard makes a new patch, i download directly all newest mod
>versions... with these all worked fine...

The point was that it's needed to update the mod, and not just change
the version number.

I have downloaded the new version now, and it works fine for me too.
--
Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
"When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he
can hear you only through the filter of the paradigm he holds."
-Myron Tribus

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Bruin <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:
> another. Nothing game breaking but a couple of the mods were
> quite necessary & at the time I posted I had just wasted 2 hours
> finding working mods & was angry.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I executed WoWtoc after the
patch all of my 20-odd mods worked perfectly. (except for the
CT_partyhealth mod, which was completely broken by the patch, and which
I can live without anyway :)

WoWtoc is a small .exe that changes the version number on all your
add-ons to the current patch. You can get it here if you want...

http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php?addid=216

HTH

--
Doc
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with beer...

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:46:05 +1000, "Doc"
<the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:

>I don't know what all the fuss is about. I executed WoWtoc after the
>patch all of my 20-odd mods worked perfectly. (except for the
>CT_partyhealth mod, which was completely broken by the patch, and which
>I can live without anyway :)
>
>WoWtoc is a small .exe that changes the version number on all your
>add-ons to the current patch.

Please don't use WoWtoc. It is a quite unnessasary tool that destroys
version checking.
Everything it does can be done faster and better by ticking the "Load
out of date addons" checkbox you find in the upper left corner of the
addons window, which appear when you push the "Addons" button (lower
left corner) at the character selection screen.
The only difference is that your addons are still listed as "out of
date", but if they still would have worked after using WoWtoc, they
will also still work by telling WoW to load old addons.

Why anybody went to the effort of making this tool escapes me, when
Blizzard already had a feature that allowed you to do effectively the
same, but in a better way. In any case this tool is a complete waste
of download.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Simon Nejmann wrote:
> Please don't use WoWtoc. It is a quite unnessasary tool that destroys
> version checking.
>
> Why anybody went to the effort of making this tool escapes me, when
> Blizzard already had a feature that allowed you to do effectively the
> same, but in a better way. In any case this tool is a complete waste
> of download.

Was it perhaps developed before Blizz added the "load out-of-date
addons" checkbox to the interface? I agree it's certainly useless now,
well, worse than useless actually. I like seeing the "out-of-date"
message after a patch, it reminds me to go and see if there is a new
version of an addon with exciting new features. :)

Cheers!
David...

"Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote:

> Beating a dead horse here.... I was letting this go, letting you have the
> last word, because we agree more than disagree

Ok :eek:)
I just wanted to point out, that as a game developer, you can either
implement all features (and have a ton of options, a lot of feautures noone
uses, and you're still not covering every feature), or only those you
think are really useful. And deciding which of them are useful is not
easy.

> but these 2 points are bugging me:
>
>>> range indicators on hotbuttons
>>
>> This is only missing on the additional ("new") hotbars, and I'd call
>> this a bug.
>
> I don't have any range indicators in the game on any hotbars without a mod.
> Is there an option somewhere I need to turn on?

I don't remember I ever turned it on. The numbers/keys on the main action
bars are white when you're within the range to use the ability, and red
when you're out of range or too close. This is missing on on the additional
bars, because the shortcuts aren't displayed on them.

>>> a decent quest log.
>>
>> I'm not sure whether blizzard wants everybody to see the quests levels.
>
> I could care less if a quest is color coded for levels or showing the
> levels.

Ok, I thought that was the point.

> It's not about seeing the levels (which we already can see by
> color). It's usability, visibility. The current quest log (like the
> crafting menus) is horrible! Once you get it over half full it's difficult
> to find & follow various quests. The mods I use improve it somewhat, with
> collapsible/expandable items by areas

That's doable with the standard UI, or did I misunderstand you?

> & check marks to display what you need on screen while you hunt.

Same here, they implemented this a while ago.

> Plus part tracking telling me what my group
> members need/have, but only if they also have the mod. It's a start,
> there could be more. Check out EQ2s quest log. Party quests show for
> all, complete history of quests, easier to search & read...

Agreed. However, it's not easy to say: Yes, this is something everyone
would want to have. Because there are also people who want their quest
log as simple as possible.

That's why I said it's better to have a fully programmable UI engine.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

"Christian Stauffer" <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
> "Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote:
>
>> Beating a dead horse here.... I was letting this go, letting you have the
>> last word, because we agree more than disagree
>
> Ok :eek:)
> I just wanted to point out, that as a game developer, you can either
> implement all features (and have a ton of options, a lot of feautures
> noone
> uses, and you're still not covering every feature), or only those you
> think are really useful. And deciding which of them are useful is not
> easy.
>
>> but these 2 points are bugging me:

>>> This is only missing on the additional ("new") hotbars, and I'd call
>>> this a bug.
>>
>> I don't have any range indicators in the game on any hotbars without a
>> mod. Is there an option somewhere I need to turn on?
>
> I don't remember I ever turned it on. The numbers/keys on the main action
> bars are white when you're within the range to use the ability, and red
> when you're out of range or too close. This is missing on on the
> additional
> bars, because the shortcuts aren't displayed on them.

>>> I'm not sure whether blizzard wants everybody to see the quests levels.
>>
>> I could care less if a quest is color coded for levels or showing the
>> levels.
>
> Ok, I thought that was the point.
>
>> It's not about seeing the levels (which we already can see by color).
>> It's usability, visibility. The current quest log (like the crafting
>> menus) is horrible! Once you get it over half full it's difficult to
>> find & follow various quests. The mods I use improve it somewhat, with
>> collapsible/expandable items by areas
>
> That's doable with the standard UI, or did I misunderstand you?
>
>> & check marks to display what you need on screen while you hunt.
>
> Same here, they implemented this a while ago.

Now dangit! I disable my mods, all of them, & attempt to find where this is
implemented by Blizzard in the standard interface & I do not see it. Also,
I can't get any range indications on my "charge" without a mod. Plus
"simple" or not, wouldn't most people like a button that could be pushed to
show a quest history log?

>> Plus part tracking telling me what my group members need/have, but only
>> if they also have the mod. It's a start, there could be more. Check
>> out EQ2s quest log. Party quests show for all, complete history of
>> quests, easier to search & read...
>
> Agreed. However, it's not easy to say: Yes, this is something everyone
> would want to have. Because there are also people who want their quest
> log as simple as possible.
>
> That's why I said it's better to have a fully programmable UI engine.

Regardless if people want things as simple as possible it would be quite
doable to make it default to "simple" & be able to add on what you want, for
those that want more. Player made mods are fine but I would prefer a LOT
more functionality in the "official" interface. One that won't require
extra work after every patch.

This is where we totally disagree. Player made mods require too much
maintenance for me.

"Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote:

> Now dangit! I disable my mods, all of them, & attempt to find where this is
> implemented by Blizzard in the standard interface & I do not see it.

Shift-click a quest in the log and its trackable objectives will appear on
the screen.

> Also,
> I can't get any range indications on my "charge" without a mod.

The main action bar has indicators. The keys for them are displayed in
white OR red.
Can't talk about charge, but "feral charge" works with those indicators,
just as any other spell/ability I use on my main action bar.

>> Agreed. However, it's not easy to say: Yes, this is something everyone
>> would want to have. Because there are also people who want their quest
>> log as simple as possible.
>>
>> That's why I said it's better to have a fully programmable UI engine.
>
> Regardless if people want things as simple as possible it would be quite
> doable to make it default to "simple" & be able to add on what you want, for
> those that want more. Player made mods are fine but I would prefer a LOT
> more functionality in the "official" interface. One that won't require
> extra work after every patch.
>
> This is where we totally disagree. Player made mods require too much
> maintenance for me.

We don't disagree at all. There's a guy at blizzard who decides what
functionality the basic UI implements. Your problem is this guy doesn't
have the same preferences as you. If he had, he wouldn't have the same
preferences as me. Do you want that the basic UI looks like YOU want it
to look? Buy blizzard. Until you do that, someone else will decide
what belongs to the basic UI. And this will differ from what YOU think
is important. Whoever designs the basic UI, there will be people who
want more functionality than you or this guy decides to put in the basic
UI, and they are damn happy there's a programmable interface. That's the
point. If you want more functionality in the basic UI, contact blizzard
and HOPE they implement it because some people asked for it (because you
aren't the center of their universe) or buy the company. Until then, you
should be happy to have the programmable engine so you can use features
that obviously the majority of people have no use for.

EOD for me, after I wrote the same thing for about 5 times now.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (51) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]