Sign in with
Your question

Which 7850 Should I get?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 25, 2012 8:26:40 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Mid next week, probably around Wednesday May 30

BUDGET RANGE: Sub $300

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: For gaming I will mainly play D3 at first, then probably some Total War games and maybe try some new stuff out.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Don't care, but I am getting the rest of my parts from Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: No Preference

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, I've never done it, but I'm wanting to try!

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Not sure yet, don't have one

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Here is a link to approximately the build I am doing: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/346577-31-another-que... but my PSU and case are now this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

I've looked all around for recommendations on a 7850 and for a long time was considering 560ti/448, or 570's, but decided the extram VRAM would be better for future proofing and the card seems to oc well (something I've never done). I originally wanted nvidia because I was considering a 3D setup but have decided to postpone anything of that sort for a while and that the VRAM would be more likely to be beneficial.

Most of the threads of seen here and on anandtech are for 7850's I am not able to find. One question I have is are there really large differences between different reference cards? Second, the main advantage of buying a non reference card is because you KNOW it can overclock and it should have better cooling, correct?

These are the current cards on Newegg which I'm looking at, the first has 2 fans, no OC, the second 2 are OC:

1) $250 XFX Double D FX-785A-CDFC (non OC, 860MHz)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2) $260 PowerColor PCS+ AX7850 2GBD5-2DHPP (OC @ 1000MHz)

3) $260 GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-2GD (OC @ 975MHz)

4) Other options. There are some cards on Tigerdirect which Newegg doesn't have and I'm sure Amazon has more. Mainly I was considering Newegg so I could get all my parts together, but if there's something much better out there or a great price, I'll get it separately: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/sea...

Here are the rest of the options on Newegg in case I passed up something good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Really appreciate the help. I've been researching everything a ton and I'm almost done picking all my parts!

More about : 7850

May 25, 2012 8:51:00 PM

The powercolor PCS+ 7850 currently looks pretty sweet

MSI Power Edition 7850 also looks nice, though techpowerup had some disappointing OC results for it.

I'd get one of those two probably, and since the MSI isn't up on newegg last time I checked, I'd say go for the PCS+ 7850 :) 
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 9:05:45 PM

Look at the feedback on the Gigabyte card you'll find that too many users complain about audible fan noise, there should be no problem about the MSI card and overclocking differs from one card to another even they were the same.

Right now the most stable and non-issue HD 7850 is the Asus DC II it's out of stock from newegg but i highly recommend it followed by the Sapphire Double Fan.
m
l
Related resources
a c 1401 U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 9:06:38 PM

I would go with the XFX for their lifetime warranty and cheapest price.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 9:09:34 PM

cards, regardless of manufacture ( although there are brands I would NEVER buy or NEVER buy again ( palit ) - ).................... all have decent reliability. Get the one with the best cooling solution on it. I found it's the best way to go.
m
l
May 25, 2012 9:13:04 PM

as swifty said, all cards are essentially the same board. only difference will be manufacturer policies (return, warranty) and the cooler.
m
l
May 25, 2012 9:17:19 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.

Questions:
1) Is warranty void if you OC?
2) How do I determine the best cooling options? Just by looking at it? Is there data on this anywhere?
3) Is the main advantage of buying a non-reference card the fact that you know it can OC? Are they in general BETTER at OCing? Put another way, would the XFX and the PowerColor have the same chance of me getting them to 1200MHz or does the PC inherently have an advantage because it is picked out for being better at OCing?
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 9:24:23 PM

1- If they discover a damage due to heavy OCing, yes.
2- You can read reviews of each card you're seeking buying. All non reference designed cards are better in cooling and since they have a custom PCB so they OC better.
3- Non-reference designed cards are terrible in cooling, all cards are overclockable.

You wanna OC the HD 7850 to 1200 MHz? :o  That's too far from the stock speeds and will require a custom PCB with additional power phases and also a better cooling.

XFX were good @ the past, i don't trust them anymore, Powercolor is good but heard that they use a lot of recycled materials and low quality components. I could be wrong but that's the impression I have on Powercolor compared to the look of the other cards.

You can't go wrong with Asus, MSI or Sapphire. If you wanna OC the HD 7850 to 1200 MHz, you'd better get the HD 7870.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 9:26:37 PM

what's with all the OC questions............. ? no need to overclock anything. Cards will handle it stock........... my pick of the 3 listed up top is Gigabyte.
m
l
May 25, 2012 9:35:04 PM

ilysaml, I was just throwing out a number, I don't necessarily plan on OCing heavily.

Seems like there are many different opinions on the matter. I'll probably research a bit more and then just end up picking one of em :p 
m
l
May 25, 2012 9:43:09 PM

I own the ASUS 7850 and it has been a solid card. I overclocked it to 1Ghz without upping voltage and it ran fine. Its whisper quiet too.

Not sure what your monitor resolution is but mine is 1440x900. After running FRAPs and discovering I was getting 150 FPS plus in Mass Effect 3 (all settings max), and 50 to 60 FPS in Crysis 2 with the DX 11 Pack, the High Res Texture Pack and all settings maxed, I decided the overclock was pointless (i.e what is the benefit in going from 150 FPS to 155 FPS is Mass Effect 3) and went back to stock settings.

The coolers on many of the 7850s are longer than the cards, I think they are using excess coolers in inventory on these parts that were designed for the 6900s, and you will see Asus, MSI and others go to coolers that are the same length as the 7850's PCB once they burn off these excess parts. (Note this is pure conjecture).

m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 12:20:14 AM

Pawelek said:
ilysaml, I was just throwing out a number, I don't necessarily plan on OCing heavily.

Seems like there are many different opinions on the matter. I'll probably research a bit more and then just end up picking one of em :p 

So be careful when you OC the card.
Just told you, the best out there is the ASUS DC II followed by Sapphire. Sapphire is already on newegg.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 12:36:02 AM

ilysaml said:

XFX were good @ the past, i don't trust them anymore, Powercolor is good but heard that they use a lot of recycled materials and low quality components. I could be wrong but that's the impression I have on Powercolor compared to the look of the other cards.

Why don't you trust XFX anymore?
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 1:05:04 AM

70% of the HD 6950s/6970s had serious issues as reported by a lot of members here such as cooling, blank screens, no posting and so on....seems like to me that XFX lost credibility and covers that with lifetime warranty.
m
l
May 26, 2012 1:10:26 AM

asus has superior cooling and AMAZING customer service if anything where to go wrong, and the card is great.

sapphire are cheaper, have good cooling - im going with them
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 1:10:29 AM

Hmm well my last XFX card was a 4xxx series card, I bought a Sapphire when I got my HD6850 simply because nobody could beat the price. It does seem like XFX is priced a little higher than most others a lot of the time. Plug I wanted the Sapphire card because all the other 6850's had either a 2 pin or 3 pin fan (no PWM), and the Sapphire had a 4 pin. I looked at all the pics on Newegg to find one that had a 4 pin. I like quiet fans!
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 1:16:32 AM

iirc the 7850 OCs up to 1050 mhz on a stable speed. past that will need alot of tweaks
m
l
!