Asus P8Z77-V HELLP!

dekkars

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Building a system for the fist time. Have an Asus P8Z77-V MObo and an i5-3570k chip. Pushing down on the chip is a big no no, I know that. However when trying to close the cpu cover (metal thing) I get some resistance and hear a metal crinkly noise. Naturally i'm freaking out.

Help/Tips? Is this normal or did I screw something up... I'm looking at the manual but I have everything as I think its supposed to be...

Solution
I have a P8z77-V Pro MOBO and almost wet myself putting that damn hatch down. I also received a creeking noise as I tightened it down, and despite the directions telling me to leave the plastic cover on while installing (before adding the heat sink obviously), about halfway down the plastic cover shot across the room. At that point, I just decided it was all or nothing and cranked the damn thing down and it all seemed fine. Rushing to get everything else set up to do an external boot was a torturous experience, but fortunately it appeared that there was no damage to the processor or socket. Just make sure you have the CPU installed correctly with the slots/arrows and what not. Some creeking and some resistance are normal, at least...

chugot9218

Honorable
I have a P8z77-V Pro MOBO and almost wet myself putting that damn hatch down. I also received a creeking noise as I tightened it down, and despite the directions telling me to leave the plastic cover on while installing (before adding the heat sink obviously), about halfway down the plastic cover shot across the room. At that point, I just decided it was all or nothing and cranked the damn thing down and it all seemed fine. Rushing to get everything else set up to do an external boot was a torturous experience, but fortunately it appeared that there was no damage to the processor or socket. Just make sure you have the CPU installed correctly with the slots/arrows and what not. Some creeking and some resistance are normal, at least they were in my case.

Side question for anyone reading, would bending a single pin (preventing contact with the cpu/mobo) result in the CPU not working at all, would performance degrade, or would you find errors during specific tasks?

Solution