Sign in with
Your question

First Build Review

Last response: in Systems
July 19, 2012 1:10:06 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next month or so.
Budget Range: $1000-1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, internet, minor video editing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.ca, Memory Express, Canada Computers

Overclocking: Maybe in the future once I'm more comfortable with the hardware/building

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Monitor I'm thinking of getting, ASUS VS248H-P

Additional Comments: Going to use it to play a few games, Anno 2070, NHL, and basic video editing.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Replacing a 7 year old laptop that is dying.

Here is the list I have so far. Are there any tweaks or parts I can swap out to reduce the cost a bit? I'm especially wondering about the PSU. And I want to add a wireless card that is built in, any suggestions on that?

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
PSU: Corsair TX750V2
Motherboard:ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Core I5-4570K Ivy Bridge
Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 OC
RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8GB Low Profile
CD/DVD Drive: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P
Wireless Card:???? Don't have any idea on a good one????

I know I could probably save a few dollars on a different hard drive but I want a fairly reliable one.

More about : build review

July 19, 2012 1:20:21 AM

azrie said:
Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next month or so.
Budget Range: $1000-1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, internet, minor video editing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.ca, Memory Express, Canada Computers

Overclocking: Maybe in the future once I'm more comfortable with the hardware/building

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Monitor I'm thinking of getting, ASUS VS248H-P

Additional Comments: Going to use it to play a few games, Anno 2070, NHL, and basic video editing.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Replacing a 7 year old laptop that is dying.

Here is the list I have so far. Are there any tweaks or parts I can swap out to reduce the cost a bit? I'm especially wondering about the PSU. And I want to add a wireless card that is built in, any suggestions on that?

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
PSU: Corsair TX750V2
Motherboard:ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Core I5-4570K Ivy Bridge
Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 OC
RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8GB Low Profile
CD/DVD Drive: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P
Wireless Card:???? Don't have any idea on a good one????

I know I could probably save a few dollars on a different hard drive but I want a fairly reliable one.

I literally would not change a thing. Great build! You can pick up a usb wireless thing anywhere for like 15 bucks.
July 19, 2012 3:16:30 AM

Great! Thanks for the look over. Anyone else want to add anything or suggest anything? Thanks!
Related resources
July 19, 2012 9:00:16 AM

If you're not going to add a second graphics card then you don't need as much as a 750W PSU.

Rosewill CAPSTONE 450W ($80 @ Newegg.ca)
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/rosewill-power-supply-c...

Antec High Current Gamer HCG-520M ($65 @ NCIX)
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/antec-power-supply-hcg5...

XFX Pro 550W Core Edition P1-550S-XXB9 ($70 @ NCIX / $10 rebate)
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550s...

Antec True Power New TP-650 ($75 @ Canada Computers)
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/antec-power-supply-tp65...

OCZ ZS Series 550W ($59 @ Canada Computers)
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/ocz-power-supply-oczzs5...

The Corsair TX650 V2 is cheap enough that it is also a good buy.

But the 650W version of the XFX unit above uses the same internal design as the TX650 V2 and is cheaper.

The Seagate and Samsung 1TB 7200RPM drives are just as reliable as the WD Caviar Blacks.

Cheaper RAM, the manufacturer is, if anything, more reliable than Corsair when it comes to memory:
Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 CAS9 1.5V BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00 ($45 @ Newegg.ca / $10 shipping)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
July 19, 2012 7:29:17 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm very unlikely to add another graphics card so a lesser power supply would probably do. Is there a way to calculate how much power my build would use? What is the smallest power supply I could use? Since I'm guessing smaller is less money. I'd still like a quality PSU are the listed above good choices?

And finally what is the difference in the ram?
July 19, 2012 9:04:15 PM

There should be no noticeable difference between those two RAM sets, just that one is ~$10 cheaper, might not seem like a large saving, but it is a saving nevertheless and there's almost no reason to spend $10 more on a set of RAM with exactly the same specs and performance.

HardOCP tested the graphics card you have chosen and measured the power consumption of the system at the wall. In the games they tested the power consumption reached 270W. So any PSU that can continuously provide at least 300W, for the occasions when power consumption does spike, will be enough.

So I think the Rosewill CAPSTONE 450W would be the best choice (it's what I'd buy) because it meets the power requirements of your build the best (if potential future upgrading doesn't increase the power consumption of your build). And it is the highest quality unit out of the ones I listed; voltage regulation is very good, ripple and noise suppression is very good, on top of that it is the most efficient and it is the quietest out of those listed.

All of the ones I listed are high quality, so none of them are really bad choices and I personally think that they are the best choices at their respective prices.
!