Sign in with
Your question

Should I upgrade anything?

Last response: in Systems
July 19, 2012 1:59:39 AM

Hi,
I have $700 to spend and I was wondering if I should upgrade my PC. I mainly use games but I do like nice high settings. I plan to buy BF3 and Crysis 2 soon as well. I have done a lot of research but I'm still not sure if I need to upgrade anything. Maybe all I need is a CPU overclock? I'm not sure.

Here is my PC:

Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz - Not sure if I should OC to around 3.6Ghz...
4GB Corsair VS DDR3 1333Mhz RAM - I am thinking about getting 8 or 16GB Corsair Vengance 1600Mhz RAM.
Foxconn Inferno Katana GTI Motherboard
GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB GPU
Win 7 64bit
Silverstone 500W PSU
Samsung HD502HI SATA 500GB HDD

Any reccomendations for what I should update for better gaming and general performance? Will an SSD make any difference to the general speed of applications and games? I have heard a lot bad about SSDs through such as a short lifespan and complete failure losing all data...

More about : upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2012 5:44:20 AM

The single most effective upgrade for better gaming performance would be a beefier GPU like a GTX 670/HD 7970?
July 19, 2012 6:19:02 AM

Matey Moo said:
Hi,
I have $700 to spend and I was wondering if I should upgrade my PC. I mainly use games but I do like nice high settings. I plan to buy BF3 and Crysis 2 soon as well. I have done a lot of research but I'm still not sure if I need to upgrade anything. Maybe all I need is a CPU overclock? I'm not sure.

Here is my PC:

Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz - Not sure if I should OC to around 3.6Ghz...
4GB Corsair VS DDR3 1333Mhz RAM - I am thinking about getting 8 or 16GB Corsair Vengance 1600Mhz RAM.
Foxconn Inferno Katana GTI Motherboard
GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB GPU
Win 7 64bit
Silverstone 500W PSU
Samsung HD502HI SATA 500GB HDD

Any reccomendations for what I should update for better gaming and general performance? Will an SSD make any difference to the general speed of applications and games? I have heard a lot bad about SSDs through such as a short lifespan and complete failure losing all data...

For everything except gaming the biggest upgrade will be an SSD. Windows will load faster, applications will load and save faster, your machine will get quieter. It is a couple of years since SSDs were not reliable...though of course much depends on brand and model. Most of the machines where I work feature SSDs now, we depend on them being reliable and they are (we have *large* numbers of machines).

While games will load faster, an SSD will not change your framerate. As the other poster said, for gaming your best upgrade will probably be a 670 or 7970. Or you could buy a second 560ti and run them in SLI. That is cheaper than outright replacing your existing card and may run as fast (a web search should find you benchmarks)
Related resources
July 19, 2012 6:49:37 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'll think about a new GPU or maybe even SLI (although I would probably need better cooling and a better PSU for that). Would SLI add much performance or would it be stopped by my cpu? Would I be better to just wait a little while and get a better single GPU like one of the ones you mentioned?

I had a look at some SSD drives but I was put off due to people talking about 1 year lifespans and other problems. I guess they have improved since then though so I'm not sure.
July 19, 2012 7:18:06 AM

I would upgrade the motherboard and CPU. Get something Ivy Bridge based, and you will see a good increase in performance in everything you do.

The reason I would put upgrading the CPU over the GPU in this case is that the 560Ti is powerful enough to push most games to good settings.

So new CPU and mobo, 120/128GB SSD and you'll be good to go.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2012 7:58:11 AM

Depends on what resolution you're gaming on. If it's any less than 1080p, keep whatever you've got for at least another year. Else, just getting another 560ti and a quality 80+ 750 watt PSU will serve you fantastically well for a few more years.

Else as Batuchka said - getting a 670/7970 depending on your budget, you'll be served plenty well ;) 

If you wanna OC, it's not gonna drastically improve frame rates and you'll need to do a lot of research on both your board and your CPU. OC'ing your GPU will actually give you better results if anything.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2012 8:22:12 AM

You dont rally NEED an upgrade.Your PC is more than good enough for the majority of today's games.In my opinion you should buy a new SSD.If i remember correctly the Vertex 3's were very fast and are also very cheap now.You an pick one up for 55$ after rebate!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want better gaming performance you should overclock your CPU a bit.And you should also buy a new graphics card.Right now you can buy a HD7950 which is a pretty big upgrade from your 560 Ti for a little over 300$.Take a look at this one.

So... buy two of those and a new power supply like this one
You will have enough powerformance to max out every single game!
!