Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Could Someone Look Over My Build Before I Order Please

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 19, 2012 2:15:53 AM

I am building my first computer soon, and I want some people to look over it before I order the parts. I am buying everything from newegg.com. Once I get everything up and running, I will order a few more less important items, such as case lighting. I have created an image that lists all the items. Since these forums don't let you put images in your posts, I have uploaded it to Photo Bucket, here is the direct link: http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq7/flyoffacliff/com... . Click on the image to zoom in once it loads. I have placed labels and notes in the image on the different parts. I would really like to get the price down a bit, but I don't know what to change. Thanks.

Here are the links to the different parts:
Main Components:
Case (Chassis): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Optical Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM (Memory): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Hard Drive (Solid State): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Power Supply (PSU): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OS (Windows 7): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Essential External Items:
Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Speaker System: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Keyboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Mouse: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
UPS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Wireless Card (NIC): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
DVI Cable: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Items Need For Assembly:
Hard drive bay adapter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2 X SATA Cables: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Zip-ties: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Anti-static Wrist Strap: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Tool Kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Free/discounted items:
Free Game: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2 X McAfee Internet Security 2012 (Half off): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Norton Antivirus 2012 (Half off): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A bunch of the items I selected disappeared, and I don't know if I reselected them all. I may have missed 1 or 2.

More about : build order

a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2012 2:32:39 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cuJL

You'll be far better off with this build than the one you listed. No offense, but alot of the stuff you listed is just a waste of money. All you'll need is a few zip ties, wireless adapter, and a phillips head screwdriver. No need for the huge tool set.

Also, the build I listed above is much more powerful than the other. This will run you about $1200. I even included a 500gb standard HDD for media storage and a 120gb SSD. You'll only want to use the SSD for a boot drive and a few games. I even gave you a better case in my opinion. However, you're more than welcome to change the case back to the antec 900. If you do go with the antec 1100, you'll want to grab around 5-7 extra case fans. These should work just fine...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Then mount 'em in the various points for maximum cooling. Not sure why only two exhaust fans are included.

The CPU and GPU I listed is also much faster than the one you listed. I tried to leave you enough for peripherals. $600 should be plenty for the monitor, mouse, and keyboard....as well as a copy of Win7 and the other extras such as cables.
July 19, 2012 3:47:00 AM

DeusAres said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cuJL

You'll be far better off with this build than the one you listed. No offense, but alot of the stuff you listed is just a waste of money. All you'll need is a few zip ties, wireless adapter, and a phillips head screwdriver. No need for the huge tool set.

Also, the build I listed above is much more powerful than the other. This will run you about $1200. I even included a 500gb standard HDD for media storage and a 120gb SSD. You'll only want to use the SSD for a boot drive and a few games. I even gave you a better case in my opinion. However, you're more than welcome to change the case back to the antec 900. If you do go with the antec 1100, you'll want to grab around 5-7 extra case fans. These should work just fine...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Then mount 'em in the various points for maximum cooling. Not sure why only two exhaust fans are included.

The CPU and GPU I listed is also much faster than the one you listed. I tried to leave you enough for peripherals. $600 should be plenty for the monitor, mouse, and keyboard....as well as a copy of Win7 and the other extras such as cables.


I have created a chart that compares the CPU and Videocard in your build and mine, I uploaded it here: http://www.filedropper.com/pccommponetvalue

After comparing using 2 popular benchmark services, I determined that the ones you selected are more powerful, but not as good of deals. I thought you said mine was not as good of a value. :??: 
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2012 4:07:32 AM

flyoffacliff said:
I have created a chart that compares the CPU and Videocard in your build and mine, I uploaded it here: http://www.filedropper.com/pccommponetvalue

After comparing using 2 popular benchmark services, I determined that the ones you selected are more powerful, but not as good of deals. I thought you said mine was not as good of a value. :??: 


For the price you're paying, it's not. You're better off to grab a 3570k and a gtx 670. They're faster, and I was still able to keep the price at around $1200 w/out peripherals. Don't let AMD feed you that "8 core" bullshiz. The i5 3570k is around the same price as the fx 8150. The 8150 supposedly has 8 cores, yet the quad core i5 performs better in games and benchmarks. o_O Yes, the gtx 670 is $400, but it's worth it. If you're gonna pay $1800 for a computer build, you may as well get great, quality parts. The FX 8150 is something you would put in a low end workstation build...definitely not for gaming. And the gtx 480 is a power hungry weakling. It eats up all your power, with nothing to show for it. May as well get a hd 7850 or 7870, perhaps even a 7950. Although, I'd still recommend a gtx 670 at your price point.

Hope this helps :) 
July 19, 2012 4:46:51 PM

I selected the FX 8120, not the FX 8150. The 8120 was reviewed better than the 8150, and a better value.

___________________________________________________________

Quote:
The FX 8150 is something you would put in a low end workstation build...definitely not for gaming.


One of the benchmark sites ranked it the 76th most powerful CPU and the 3570k was ranked 66th. As you can see by my chart, the 3570k is not ranked that much better. And it was only 250watts. I calculated it will cost $132 per year to operate, if it runs all the time using max wattage.

___________________________________________________________

Quote:
And the gtx 480 is a power hungry weakling. It eats up all your power, with nothing to show for it.

One of the benchmark sites ranked the gtx 480 the 9th most powerful graphics card, the other benchmark site ranked it 12th. I know the gtx 670 is ranked 2nd. I just don't know if it is worth it for almost double the price. The score is not that much better.

___________________________________________________________

Also, what else in my build do I not really need, besides the tool kit.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2012 5:19:46 PM

FX 8120 benchmark...gonna have to look low for it...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

The 2500k is basically the same thing as a 3570k in the above benchmark. You can't just look at ranks; you have to look at real world performance (such as gaming benchmarks) (more importantly, games that you'll be playing). The gtx 480 these days is a low to, if it's lucky, a mid range card at best. The radeon hd 7850 is more efficient and is pretty much on par with the gtx 480. I'd recommend that you at least grab a radeon hd 7870. Or perhaps, if you're a nvidia fan, a gtx 570.

The gtx 670 has that rank, simply because of it's efficiency, overclocking potential, and raw power. If the gtx 670 is too expensive, I'll list a few alternatives below...

hd 7850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
hd 7870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
gtx 570
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 19, 2012 6:14:33 PM

Thanks for the help. I selected my CPU/Graphics Card combination on the game requirement check here: http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/game_requireme...

It said my Graphics Card exceeded the minimum and recommended requirements for all the listed games (over 100).

And my CPU exceeded the minimum requirements for all the listed games, and the recommended requirements for all except 2 (Dirt 3 and Final Fantasy XIV). I will definitely not be playing Final Fantasy XIV. I may play Dirt 3, if I do I will just turn down the quality a little. It easily passed the minimum requirements.

Do you really think I need to upgrade? Sorry if it sounds like I am questioning you.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2012 6:31:16 PM

Quote:
Do you really think I need to upgrade? Sorry if it sounds like I am questioning you.


That is completely up to you. You don't necessarily need the upgrade, per say. However, I would strongly recommend it. This will help future proof your computer for upcoming titles or other graphically intense games you may want to play. Recommended requirements are typically associated with medium to high settings. If you don't really care about running your games at ultra, then I wouldn't worry about the GPU as much.

You're more than welcome to question my suggestions. It's your build; you're entitled to your opinion. For the budget you presented me with, I tried my best to give you more bang for the buck options. Good luck! And if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :) 
July 19, 2012 8:13:34 PM

DeusAres said:
Quote:
Do you really think I need to upgrade? Sorry if it sounds like I am questioning you.


That is completely up to you. You don't necessarily need the upgrade, per say. However, I would strongly recommend it. This will help future proof your computer for upcoming titles or other graphically intense games you may want to play. Recommended requirements are typically associated with medium to high settings. If you don't really care about running your games at ultra, then I wouldn't worry about the GPU as much.

You're more than welcome to question my suggestions. It's your build; you're entitled to your opinion. For the budget you presented me with, I tried my best to give you more bang for the buck options. Good luck! And if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :) 



Okay, thanks. But every thing I have selected should work together, right? :) 
July 19, 2012 8:22:09 PM

Fly, you need to listen to Deus here. If I ever heard of somebody putting in a Crappy FX-8150 into a $1800 machine, I would laugh.

GO Intel. Run a i5-2500k with a corresponding Mobo. Buying the 8150, youll be dissapointed.

Your fine with the GTX 480. Keeps up with all video cards today and is a Top 5-10 card even it being old. Is it power hungry? yes. Does it have good performance? Yes. A GTX 480 will run all games on ultra no problem. Your 8150 will not. Especially CPU intensive games like MMOGs. Like Deus said... 8 core BS means nothing. Games barely utilize more than 2 cores at the moment.

So in conclusion:

Mobo: Pick a Z77 Board that is $120+ And it should have everything you need.
CPU: i5-2500k
GPU: GTX 480
a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2012 8:32:56 PM

flyoffacliff said:
Okay, thanks. But every thing I have selected should work together, right? :) 


Yes, everything is compatible.
!