Graphics Card not working

dannonzzz

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Hello, i recently bought a computer offline. It was working fine until about a week ago when i lost the display in my monitor. I reseated the graphics card but that still didnt do anything. The fan on the card wasnt spinning. I tried the onboard video and that worked fine, the computer booted fine and all fans spun besides the graphics card. This was a powercolor 6850 card. I came to the conclusion that it must have been the card so I purchased the sapphire 6850 off newegg to replace it. The card came today and i tried to plug it in but still nothing. The fan doesnt spin on the card and i get no display. I have missplaced the screws so i did not screw it in, idk if that matters really. Also on the old card there was 2 pci express ports that were both plugged in and on the new card there is only 1, idk if that matters to why it isnt working now.

Please help!

My computer : I7 2500k
Gigabyte ga-z68ap-d3 mobo
8gb corsair vengeance ram
750 w corsair psu
1tb hdd
Asetek 550 liquid colling system

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Is it an i5-2500k or an i7-2600k? Just wondering, has nothing to do with your problem.

Anyway, sounds like its not getting power. Your PSU is probably bad. If not the whole PSU, the PCIe cables aren't giving enough power to the GPU. As long as you have it plugged in, right?

If you have spare Molex plugs and don't want to purchase a new PSU you can try buying the Molex to PCIe pigtail cables, or one may have been included with your new GPU. If it works then, the PCIe cables from the PSU are probably bad and your GPU is fine. You may want to purchase a new PSU anyways though.

randomkid

Distinguished

It may or may not but the card back plate needs to be in good contact with the chassis. So better put the screw in for security & protection.
Also, I hope the screw did not get lost in the motherboard as it may be shorting something out.

A 6850 with 2 PCIe power ports is odd. Is it an overclocked version of some kind? But it should not matter. As long as the PCIe power are connected, it should work fine. After all, your original did work for sometime. Let us know about the screws...

randomkid

Distinguished

The PSU powers the PC with when using the integrated graphics so at least it is not the whole PSU but it is worth inspecting of the PCIe cables have sign of burns. It think it will be unlikely but worth a try since it took just a small effort to do so.