Status
Not open for further replies.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hello Guys,

I had purchased the Palit GTX 580 used one from a guy but the guy later turned his back saying that he did not have the box. He had also claimed that he had a factory overclocked card but when I installed it I got to know that it was a stock card (no accessories given by him as well). Now I am returning the card back to him as a refund.

Now my question is I have got two more deals for a new Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB and the other is a used Asus DCII GTX 580 (1 year used, 2 more year warranty available) for the same price. No difference in price. I dont care about power consumption.

Now just tell me which one do you think would be better a new 7870 or a used 580. I game at only 1080p single screen.

Solution
The 580 is a higher performing card overall, closer to a 7950 in performance. The Asus Direct CU II has custom PCB design, upgraded components, and a really good cooler.

If you check around at various threads regarding drivers, Nvidia really hit a home run with its latest 301.42 WHQL drivers, which are a big leap for providing smooth gaming. You also get the added bonuses of PhysX, Adaptive VSync, and FXAA. The Asus GTX 580 Direct Cu II is a really good choice that will be a very quiet and cool card with great overclocking capability.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

I can get the Asus GTX 580 for $50 cheaper. Now do you still suggest going with the Sapphire 7870

well different fanboys will say different things they will hunt endless to find benchmarks that favor their choice and of course they will find them i however won't get baited into this so to put it simple if you don't care about power consumption and it's going to be 50 dollars cheaper . i would go with the Asus DCII GTX 580 it a straight beast of a GPU ;)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Everyone has their opinions. mine is however driver related.

Get the gtx580.

Both have had bad runs with drivers, i will admit that. But thus far, Nvidia have better drivers at the moment.

Amd are up to driver version 12.4, and a lot of people are rolling back to older versions because of poor performance in some games.

Do some research first in the games you play. google driver related questions from either company and the games you want to play before dumping money in a product you may have to troubleshoot/workaround for.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

U know its a used GTX 580 right? I mean its been used for a year but two more years of warranty is still available.

Kippa

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
It depends on what you use your gfx card for. I have invested in a 7970 for two reasons. The first is it is a relatively good gaming gfx card, although I admit that it isn't probably as good as nvidia 680, but secondly it is great for opencl which I will use for rendering purposes and other stuff in the "long term".

If you have the money and are soley a gamer then go for an nvidia card. If you want your gfx card for mulitple purposes like rendering /opencl and gaming then go for amd card.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

But is it a good deal. Its only $50 cheaper than the new HD 7870 Sapphire an that too a used one? I am purely a gamer. No other stuff.

Yes i am aware you mentioned it used however isn't the 7870 used as well if the answer is yes and you can get the 580 50 dollars cheaper my answer remains the same ;)

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

the 7870 is a new one and not used. Only the Asus GTX 580 is a used one.

Then get the 7870 both are very powerful GPU so either way you can't lose there really no good answer either will do but i personally like gpu made by asus and msi better so i would chose the 580 but it's your choice not mine :)

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

I now I can overclock both of the cards. say if I overclock GTX 580 to 850 Mhz and the 7870 to 1200Mhz, which of these would be faster at 1080p?

I suppose if you don't pay for you power, it doesn't matter, but just for edification:

The 7870 saves you 180 watts at load over the 580, and 20 at idle.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/24.html

My computer is probably on about 80 hours a week (~12/day), , and I game for about 15 of those. Electricity is $0.07 / kwh where i live, which I believe is below the national average in the U.S..

At that usage, the 7870 would save me $14.50 a year over the 580. That might not seem like much, but cost-to-own is part of what the video card will cost you, in addition to the purchase price. I would add $14.50 into the cost of the 580 for every year I planned on keeping it.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

I told you guys earlier, I am not worried about the power consumption. Pure performance is what I am looking at. So if I overclock both of those cards then which one would be faster?

To bad a stock 580 with mild overclock can not be caught by a 7870 unless there is a heavy overclock (lots of work) but the asus dcu is a much better buy at 50 less than the 7870 way better buy actualy even used. As for the stock card you have now if you can not get back your money who cars it is still a better gaming card despite the extra power

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

The stock card that I have now did not come with a box. The seller did not give me the box and the card is from Palit. So I am a little concerned if I will be covered by the warranty if I do not have the box and the service from Palit as well. I can get the Asus card for a lesser price than this one.

+1 :lol:

The 580 is a higher performing card overall, closer to a 7950 in performance. The Asus Direct CU II has custom PCB design, upgraded components, and a really good cooler.

If you check around at various threads regarding drivers, Nvidia really hit a home run with its latest 301.42 WHQL drivers, which are a big leap for providing smooth gaming. You also get the added bonuses of PhysX, Adaptive VSync, and FXAA. The Asus GTX 580 Direct Cu II is a really good choice that will be a very quiet and cool card with great overclocking capability.

Solution

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

Do you mean that the newer drivers implement Adaptive VSync on GTX 580 as well. I have the Palit GTX 580 stock card without box but I have the bill (5 months used). 2.5 years of warranty is still available. I would like to know if the warranty would be available even without the box.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Do you mean that the newer drivers implement Adaptive VSync on GTX 580 as well. I have the Palit GTX 580 stock card without box but I have the bill (5 months used). 2.5 years of warranty is still available. I would like to know if the warranty would be available even without the box.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

I actually opted out for a refund for the stock palit 580. I am getting the Asus DCII GTX 580 now for about $50 cheaper than what I paid for the palit 580. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.