Are parts from a Vpro machine salvageable?

mpdahaxing

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Hello, I'm hunting for a core 2 upgrade for my HTPC on craig's. Some dudes are selling their machines for mad cheep too. The only concern I have is that many of the systems are Vpro systems. Does this mean that if I take the CPU from the Vpro machine and dropped it into the HTPC, will the Vpro on the CPU prevent it from working (due to the other components not being recognized by Vpro as the "original" system components)? Furthermore, will Intel use the Vpro's location tracker mechanism to find my house and then press charges upon me for theft?

Solution
For peace of mind, ask if they can supply original sale receipt and if you buy, get a bill of sale. Using the CPU in another machine is fine, Vpro can be disabled from with the motherboard bios.

+1 das stig

Are the systems Desktops or laptops? Laptop will have some additional features to protect against data lose like shutting down from the Bios. However if it is a desktop the main features are remote access for the business IT. There is some software that allow them to log on and access other system within the network and update drivers, Bios and check system configurations.

mpdahaxing

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
The systems for sale are all desktops. originally, I just intended to find a Core 2 duo/quad to replace the one in my HTPC, as the former is too weak to handle blu-ray movies.
Seeing these systems on sale for so cheap, I'm thinking of swapping the CPUs between the HTPC and the purchased system so that I have
1) A stronger HTPC
2) A computer which my mother can use for her errands.

My hesitation comes from my ignorance of Vpro. I only really know that it is designed to not work if there is a detected change in components, and enables tracking of components despite whether or not the machine they are in is turned on.
Are my deductions about Vpro precise? Or am i far from the truth? I just don't want to have the headache of buying the part/ system, then having the upgrades not work and me banging my head on the wall trying to figure out what's wrong. I don't have as much spare time as I'd like to either.

TRENDING THREADS