New Mega Workstation Build

ViperJPB

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Building myself a new workstation to replace my seven year old Mac Pro. Grew up PC but went Mac when I started freelancing. Now it is time to return to Windows and build myself a workhorse workstation for the next 7 years that can update with the times. I work in Film Color Grading, Motion Graphics, and 3D. So I need a lot of horsepower and a lot of CUDA GPU power. Here's the breakdown and some photos of the first items to arrive! I will try to continue to document my build as it progresses.

Lian Li PCZ70 Silver Case
1 Asus Z9PE-D8-WS Mobo
2 Intel Xeon E5-2687W
2 Corsair H80s
32GB of ram
9 hard drives
2 SSDs
3 Galaxy GTX 680 4GB
1 Areca Raid card
1 Blackmagic DeckLink
1 Blu-ray burner
1 Enermax Maxrevo 1350 PSU

NewWorkstationCase.jpg by ViperJPB, on Flickr

MoboBox001.jpg by ViperJPB, on Flickr

MoboBox002.jpg by ViperJPB, on Flickr

MoboBox003.jpg by ViperJPB, on Flickr

May have to buy several Scythe Gentle Typhoons to silent her up. Also may mod a 120mm fan intake into the case side panel for extra cooling of the triple video cards if temps become a problem. Love to hear thoughts and tips s this build progress.

for the psu, id get a xfx 1250w psu instead. it has silent fan technology meaning the psu fan doesnt spin until you use more than 20% of rated output which is 250w.

for the gpu, id get a quadro card since they do much better in compute and workstation environments. or you can wait for nvidia to release new quadro cards. geforce cards suck in most things other than games

id prefer that if you do happen to get the h80, please slap some corsair sp120 quiet editions on it. stock fans are hair dryers under loads. corsair aftermarket fans on the other hand are actually good.

ViperJPB

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Thanks everyone for your responses. I will definitely have to look at that PSU. As far as the GPUs are concerned I would normally totally agree with the Quadros, however this is a specific setup. Im using DaVinci Resolve for color grading and the performance of the 580 and 680s for accelerating that software is more than 4 times faster than even a Quadro 6000. Actually a 580 is slightly faster than the 680 computationally despite the difference in CUDA cores. For Premiere the same has proven to be true with their Mercury Playback engine. Where the Quadros shine is in the 3D rendering department and advanced OpenGl functions. 

ViperJPB

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Yeah that was my predicament. I had been watching several auctions for 580 GTX 3GB cards but had missed my chance. Now I can only find the the rare new one for over $600, used, or Classified editions which are super noisy and suck a ton of power. When for less I could buy a 4GB GTX680 that only slightly under performs the 580 in DaVinci Resolve. Plus when rendering to 4K you need a minimum of 2GB per card and 4 should give me some overhead.

ViperJPB

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Sadly no. It does have some support for OpenCL, but the real muscle comes from it's CUDA algorithms. I'm hoping the slightly slower 680s (in comparison to the 580s) will compensate by their sheer numbers. 1 for the Monitors and than 2 dedicated for the GPU calculations.

ViperJPB

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
That's what I thought too. But the opposite I have found. Only new 580 3GBs I could find were going for over $600 or they were the overclocked versions which would be way too loud, hot, & power hungry. The 680 4GBs were easy to find and I found 3 of them for $570 apiece.

ViperJPB

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Yup the Galaxy GTX 680 4GB. Found them on Amazon. The reviews I have read say they can be clocked higher then the EVGA counterpart and run quieter. Was too good to be true I thought. So we shall see. If I don't like uhm I will send them back and snag some expensive 580s.

TRENDING THREADS