Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help upgrading graphic card for HP p6214y

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 26, 2012 12:03:34 AM

Hello everyone. I've recently bought diablo 3 and experienced a lot of frame rate drops during gameplay. Right now I'm assuming that the only thing I need to probably upgrade is my video card. The PC I'm using is the HP p6214y and the specs are:

AMD Athlon™ II X4 quad-core processor 620 2.6GHz

8GB PC2-6400 DDR2

1TB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

NVIDIA GeForce 9100 graphics Features 256MB integrated shared graphics memory

with a 300 watt psu.

Can anyone recommend me the least expensive graphic card that would go well with my comp in order to run diablo 3 smoothly? I'm not really a graphic whore, I don't mind playing the game on the lowest settings as long as it doesn't lock up. I also want to make as little changes to the pc as possible. Please keep in mind that this is a pre-built pc so the space inside the case is pretty limited. If anyone needs any additional information or notice that I need to make more changes to my pc, please mention it. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have also listed the minimum requirements for diablo 3 to make things easier.

Intel Pentium® D 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4400+

NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800 GT or ATI Radeon™ X1950 Pro or better

1 GB RAM (XP), 1.5 GB (Vista/7)

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 12:15:22 AM

You have a pretty good processor for entry lvl gaming, so in that part you are good to go, but yes you need a Graphic card for all moderns games.

So Diablo 3 is not an heavy game that needs a moster GPU so with something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Will run the game pretty smooth, even at high detail...

There's a situation, your PSU is weak and that low wattage will make troubles if you get a really powerfull Card, so the top of you can get is that one i linked, you can find slower GPUS for about $60 or so that will move the game but those will use as much as power as this one.

So this card wins in situations like yours, that you have small powersuply but you dont want to spend tons of money on a new PSU and GPU.

BTW i didnt ask you, whats your budget? how much are you willing to spend for a GPU? if 110 bucks is too much theres other options for you. Also whats your monitor? how many inches does it have? or to be spesific at what resolution you want to play?
May 26, 2012 12:32:05 AM

Right now my budget is under $100 since I'm more of a console gamer and I'm not looking to invest that much on my pc. I'm currently playing on a 20 inch HD monitor. Whats an appropriate resolution to play on that screen size?

If you don't mind can you list out all the graphic cards compatible with a 300 watt psu. I want to look at all my options.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 12:43:33 AM

Here's the best card that has GDDR5 memory (my recommendation for gaming), is under $100, and would work on a 300w PSU.

Its not an awesome card, but it has plenty of bandwidth to feed the GPU with memory and it would perform much better than the integrated trash.

Your system looks to be a standard ATX case though so if you have money to upgrade the PSU and GPU, you could get a much better card. If not, that one I posted is probably your best option.

And you say 20 inch monitor, but that means pretty much nothing. What is the native resolution of it?
m
l
May 26, 2012 1:01:23 AM

Vettedude said:
Here's the best card that has GDDR5 memory (my recommendation for gaming), is under $100, and would work on a 300w PSU.

Its not an awesome card, but it has plenty of bandwidth to feed the GPU with memory and it would perform much better than the integrated trash.

Your system looks to be a standard ATX case though so if you have money to upgrade the PSU and GPU, you could get a much better card. If not, that one I posted is probably your best option.

And you say 20 inch monitor, but that means pretty much nothing. What is the native resolution of it?

Is the card you listed a better option than the HD7750 mentioned above? I also made a typo, my monitor is 22 inch if it makes much of a difference. The native resolution of my monitor is 1680x1055. I would rather just focus on upgrading the gpu at the moment since I am not an expert at tinkering with pc hardware. My main concern is that the graphic card would overheat or failed. I do have a low budget for a card but I'm also willing to pay more for a card that's more reputable. I would also like to get the most bang for my buck. Also, is there anything I should worry about when I change a gpu?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 1:06:20 AM

The 7750 has better performance and lower power consumption (28nm FTW). That would be a better option if you are willing to pay that much. I'd certainly get that.

Replacing isn't hard. Uninstall the nVidia drivers via Control Center. Then shut off your computer and unplug everything. Open up your computer on a hard surface (not carpet) to avoid static buildup. Find your open PCIe x16 slot and remove the back cover that blocks where the monitor hookups will be. Then simply pop the card in! Neither card requires and extra PCIe cable so you are good to go! Then put your side cover back on and boot up. Don't install drivers from the CD, simply navigate to AMD's website to get drivers (search "Radeon drivers"). Windows 7 is really good with compatibility so there should be no problems or conflicts.

I play at 1600x900, its not an ultra taxing resolution (and yours is only a little higher). But I have an HD6850.
m
l
May 26, 2012 1:33:37 AM

Vettedude said:
The 7750 has better performance and lower power consumption (28nm FTW). That would be a better option if you are willing to pay that much. I'd certainly get that.

Replacing isn't hard. Uninstall the nVidia drivers via Control Center. Then shut off your computer and unplug everything. Open up your computer on a hard surface (not carpet) to avoid static buildup. Find your open PCIe x16 slot and remove the back cover that blocks where the monitor hookups will be. Then simply pop the card in! Neither card requires and extra PCIe cable so you are good to go! Then put your side cover back on and boot up. Don't install drivers from the CD, simply navigate to AMD's website to get drivers (search "Radeon drivers"). Windows 7 is really good with compatibility so there should be no problems or conflicts.

I play at 1600x900, its not an ultra taxing resolution (and yours is only a little higher). But I have an HD6850.

Sorry if I'm asking so many noob questions, but does the brand of the gpu model really matter? I've been looking at reviews and the HIS' version of the HD7750 comes with the "icooler" and supposedly the card runs cooler and faster. So is there much of a difference between this card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and this card

and this card

http://www.amazon.com/HIS-H775F1GD-Displayport-Express-...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 1:36:25 AM

@donutxjai Listen to VetteDude he just said everyting i was going to say lol

Indeed for under 100 bucks theres some cards powerful enough to run Diablo 3 at excellent FPS.

But for money/performance/power needs the HD7750 is just the best card around. But Hey! I would recomend you to explore a little more PC gaming dude, its pretty awesome, i sold my PS3 just to upgrade my pc, and I play in my TV 32" 1080 excellent games at a higher detail than all consoles can do. But whem im surfing internet and kind of I use my 19" 1600x900 LCD monitor. You should try PC gaming :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 1:48:43 AM

donutxjai said:
Sorry if I'm asking so many noob questions, but does the brand of the gpu model really matter? I've been looking at reviews and the HIS' version of the HD7750 comes with the "icooler" and supposedly the card runs cooler and faster. So is there much of a difference between this card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and this card

and this card

http://www.amazon.com/HIS-H775F1GD-Displayport-Express-...

ASUS cards have great cooling, and cooling will not be a problem on the 7750, trust me. It runs so cool, 28nm chips so so much less power than the older 40nm chips.

Amazon doesn't list specs but I put the card number into Newegg and found the specs. The Asus is clocked 20 Mhz faster so it will actually be SLIGHTLY faster than the HIS card. Here's the Newegg link to it BTW, same price as Amazon:

I don't buy PC parts from Amazon, they don't post enough specs on their pages.

And yes, I play on both PC and PS3 and Call of Duty 4 on PC (2008 game) has better graphics by FAR than MW2 and MW3 on PS3. MUCH better.
m
l
May 26, 2012 1:49:29 AM

horaciopz said:
@donutxjai Listen to VetteDude he just said everyting i was going to say lol

Indeed for under 100 bucks theres some cards powerful enough to run Diablo 3 at excellent FPS.

But for money/performance/power needs the HD7750 is just the best card around. But Hey! I would recomend you to explore a little more PC gaming dude, its pretty awesome, i sold my PS3 just to upgrade my pc, and I play in my TV 32" 1080 excellent games at a higher detail than all consoles can do. But whem im surfing internet and kind of I use my 19" 1600x900 LCD monitor. You should try PC gaming :) 

Well I'm a huge gamer in general. I haven't completely abandon the PC, its just that there aren't many games coming out for the platform and typically games get release for the consoles before the PC. Another point is that every other games that comes out on PC is an MMO and I'm not into that genre. I do play a lot of indie games on the pc though, but most of them aren't so demanding in the graphic department. I'll stop here before I go any more off topic.

Thank you to both Horacipoz and VetteDude for helping me make my decision. The only thing I have left to decide is which brand of the HD7750 to buy. If anyone else have any more tips or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
m
l
May 26, 2012 2:03:39 AM

Vettedude said:
ASUS cards have great cooling, and cooling will not be a problem on the 7750, trust me. It runs so cool, 28nm chips so so much less power than the older 40nm chips.

Amazon doesn't list specs but I put the card number into Newegg and found the specs. The Asus is clocked 20 Mhz faster so it will actually be SLIGHTLY faster than the HIS card. Here's the Newegg link to it BTW, same price as Amazon:

I don't buy PC parts from Amazon, they don't post enough specs on their pages.

And yes, I play on both PC and PS3 and Call of Duty 4 on PC (2008 game) has better graphics by FAR than MW2 and MW3 on PS3. MUCH better.

I hate to sound like a jew, but is it that much worst to get the HIS card from Amazon over the Asus card, since I don't have to pay for tax/shipping and I have plenty of credit stocked there. I also prefer Amazons customer support over neweggs.

I'm not going to argue that graphics on the pc arent superior to consoles, but i pay more attention to games with innovated gameplay. If its something fresh and new, it'll grab my attention. I mean Crysis and Rage looks pretty damn good, but it's just another first person shooter no matter how you look at it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 2:07:16 AM

You can certainly buy from Amazon, I just used Newegg to find specs. And I was correcting the error that the HIS card was faster when it is in fact 20Mhz slower.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 2:24:15 AM

donutxjai said:
I hate to sound like a jew, but is it that much worst to get the HIS card from Amazon over the Asus card, since I don't have to pay for tax/shipping and I have plenty of credit stocked there. I also prefer Amazons customer support over neweggs.

I'm not going to argue that graphics on the pc arent superior to consoles, but i pay more attention to games with innovated gameplay. If its something fresh and new, it'll grab my attention. I mean Crysis and Rage looks pretty damn good, but it's just another first person shooter no matter how you look at it.

We are recommending, dude. We are not saying "hey ! put aside your console and play PC games!" its just a recommendation, and yes a true gamer will be hooked by the gameplay more than how it looks like,but gorgeous graphics are always a plus :) 

Asus in GPUS shines only with their DirectCuII technology at the top end tier in my opinion. HIS i have used used in my past 2 builds and im starting have my preference over HIS than any other brand, only XFX takes my attention for its warranty, double life time and stuff but thats also for higher tiers of GPUs.

So dude, for me you should go with the HIS, they build pretty good cards and their cooling methods have proven (to me) really efective, my card runs 65 at max load in my country (venezuela/south american country/tropical/ warm/ hot every day, every time, all year) while the ambient temperature comes sometiems over 40° C and the thermal sensation is about 60°C. Lol :sol: 

m
l
May 26, 2012 7:35:07 AM

Best answer selected by donutxjai.
m
l
!