Whats the difference between a 50hz and 60hz PSU?

Most modern power supplies convert the ac into rectified dc & filter it. The switch mode power supply then Chops it up and converts it back down to 3.3v, 5v, 12v....
The frequency and voltage level of the incoming power is of little importance to modern power supplies.
-Bruce

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
I see that the power Supply you linked specifies its input power requirement as 230vac, 5A @ 60 hz. That means that it is designed to be sold and used in a country that supplies 230vac @ 60 hz to your wall socket in your house. 230vac @ 50 hz is used in most countries in Europe as well a several other countries around the world. In what country do you live? The link indicates that the PSU is coming from the UK. Is that where you live?

I would suggest that you find one that specifies its input requirement as 100-250vac @ 50-60hz. Such a power supply is capable of using nearly any input from any country simply by changing the AC power cable to one that matches the socket in your country of residence. No expensive transformer required. In other words if you travel from the UK (230vac @50hz) to the US (115vac @ 60Hz), the only thing you need to plug in your computer to the existing wall power is a low cost socket adapter.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Modern PSU's automatically can handle 100-250v from the wall and switch automatically. If the PSU has a manual switch, don't purchase it. That's an old style PSU.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished

The frequency and voltage do matter on that particular power supply. It clearly specifies that it requires 230vac, 5A @ 50hz. Don't buy it. It is probably a cheap supply and may actually cause more trouble than it's worth. I suggest somthing from Seasonic or Corsair. Such as this:

Corsair CMPSU-500CXV2UK Builder Series CX500V2 - 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPSU-500CXV2UK-Builder-Series-CX500V2/dp/tech-data/B005851O16/ref=de_a_smtd

It costs a little more but the last thing you want to skimp on is the power supply.