Sign in with
Your question

Better CPU or GPU for gaming

Last response: in CPUs
November 29, 2012 9:36:44 PM

Currently I'm running a 2.5 ghz pentium dual core, and i want to upgrade either this computer or make a new one on a budget for some moderate gaming. My current motherboard only supports 4gb ddr2 but seems to have a pcie x16 slot. Would i be better off keeping this cpu and getting a good graphics card, or get the amd a10 without a graphics card (I would upgrade later). Much appreciated.

More about : cpu gpu gaming

a b à CPUs
November 29, 2012 9:56:13 PM

If your Pc has a PCI-E slot, you can fit any modern GPU, but keep in mind that your CPU can bottleneck the GPU, and you wouldn't get an optimal performance.
Maybe you can do some mid gaming, but no more because of your CPU.

What resolution are you planing to play games ?
m
l
November 29, 2012 10:05:31 PM

Realistically 720p. My mobo can support up to core2 quad, which i thought would be good but it seems i would have to settle for core2 duo, if that is an upgrade from pentium, because the quads are only on sale used. Would the a10 by itself be worse than say a core2 duo with a gtx 560?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2012 10:24:12 PM

marclaf said:
Realistically 720p. My mobo can support up to core2 quad, which i thought would be good but it seems i would have to settle for core2 duo, if that is an upgrade from pentium, because the quads are only on sale used. Would the a10 by itself be worse than say a core2 duo with a gtx 560?

The A10 has a great IGP, but is not comparable to a dedicated GTX 560, so the GTX and the C2D its better for gaming.
m
l
November 29, 2012 10:26:54 PM

Great, thank you, I will probably do that.
m
l
!