Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Power
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 19, 2012 7:28:18 AM

hi,

i have assembled a new pc

i plugged it in an d prssed the power button, with a two or three seconds delay, the system starts, but after some seconds everything turns off without any beep or sound. and this procedure repeats.

when i remove the ram and start the system i have a 3 short beep and my system shuts down and it repeats...

what should i do?
what is the problem?

More about : startup problem newly assembled

a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2012 8:30:20 AM

could be two things...missing a standoff..short of the mb...or the ram you used was not on the mb guild or the mb bios needs an update. with mb if they cant set the spd ram speed...they go into a reboot loop. try powering off your pc..pull the power from it and use just one dimm. if you have an asus mb with the ram ok button try it. look at the part # of your ram and see if it on the mb qal list...or the ram vendor qal it for your mb. (intel sb or ib system check that the ram is 1.5v or less. check the cpu guild for the mb...see that the mb will post with the stock bios and your cpu...some mb wont post till you uprev the bios. for a dead short..try taking the mb out of the case and see if it posts sitting on top of the mb box with just a power supply. also check that you have both the 24 pin atx and the 4/8 pin power plug plugged in. and your video card has both is power plugs in if it has two.
m
l
July 19, 2012 8:47:04 AM

Hi whats ur setup?
m
l
Related resources
July 19, 2012 9:03:34 AM

i took the mb out and test it, nothing changed, how can i test the ram and bios?
m
l
July 19, 2012 9:06:01 AM

foolman555 said:
Hi whats ur setup?

what is setup?

if i had understood right:

msi z68a-g45
i3 2120
msi r6850 cyclone
4 gb good ram ddr3 1600
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2012 9:19:12 AM

the mb and cpu should be fine. it the ib chips and the x68 that would need a bios update. i would try running the mb on the onboard video. pull the video card. look at your ram spec if it 1.65v or older ddr3 ram the mb may have an issue with it. if there a case speaker or mb speaker..try pulling the ram and see if the mb beeps at you. a lot of new builders forget to plug in the second power plug on the mb. it going to be a four or 8 pin white atx plug. the last thing would be to pull power from the pc..let the mb drain...then check that there no bent pins under the cpu and that you installed the cpu right.
m
l
July 19, 2012 9:31:54 AM

smorizio said:
the mb and cpu should be fine. it the ib chips and the x68 that would need a bios update. i would try running the mb on the onboard video. pull the video card. look at your ram spec if it 1.65v or older ddr3 ram the mb may have an issue with it. if there a case speaker or mb speaker..try pulling the ram and see if the mb beeps at you. a lot of new builders forget to plug in the second power plug on the mb. it going to be a four or 8 pin white atx plug. the last thing would be to pull power from the pc..let the mb drain...then check that there no bent pins under the cpu and that you installed the cpu right.

i have pulled out the video card in all this time.

when i start without ram, i have three long beeps, and every thing happens again.
i have plugged in all the power plugs, i'm sure.
the cpu is installed corrctly.

what should i do now?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2012 4:04:20 PM

the three beeps are saying ram failure so the mb is working..i would try another brand of ram..if you have a local micro center near you or best buy try another stick of ram. or see if a friend has a stick you can use for testing.
m
l