Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading PC and need advice

Last response: in Components
Share
November 29, 2012 11:18:16 PM

Hello,
I am thinking of adding 2x4 gb memory and perhaps a ssd which altogether would cost about $110. I used to play WOW but currently do not game at all. I do some photo editing with GIMP. Otherwise I just browse the Internet. I don't want to spend much on my PC if I can help it but it seems pretty slow.
PC:
Intel I5-650 3.2ghz
HD-320gb sata II 3gb 16mb 7200rpm
2gb ddr3/1600 mhz x2 memory
evga intel p55 tr p55v sli/crossfire mb
700 watt power supply
ati radeon 5770 1 gb ddr video card
windows 7 64 bit
Hope this is enough info.
Thanks everyone!

More about : upgrading advice

November 29, 2012 11:27:06 PM

An SSD upgrade will make most any system feel impressively faster in most ever task. Also 2GB of RAM is not enough in today's day and age where an average win7 system will idle around 1.2GB leaving you only .8 GB to work with leaves something to be desired. I would say both upgrades would well worth it.
m
0
l
November 29, 2012 11:46:31 PM

cmi86 said:
An SSD upgrade will make most any system feel impressively faster in most ever task. Also 2GB of RAM is not enough in today's day and age where an average win7 system will idle around 1.2GB leaving you only .8 GB to work with leaves something to be desired. I would say both upgrades would well worth it.

Actually, I have 4 gb memory (2x2) and am thinking of adding 8 gb (4x4) in the two available slots on MB.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 29, 2012 11:58:29 PM

^That won't work. Most likely the extra ports will show up as 2GB usable. So you'd end up with 8 either way.
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 1:04:30 AM

I ran a system scan from Crucial.com and that showed I could add 2x 4gb memory. Should be compatible.
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 1:10:49 AM

Ram is cheap these days with 2x4gbs going for around $30 so you can probably get it for cheap. A SSD upgrade is also decent and will bring you a much more responsive computer so I'd say go for SSD and more memory and maybe even overclock the i5-650 a bit.
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 1:26:50 AM

Bilou said:
I ran a system scan from Crucial.com and that showed I could add 2x 4gb memory. Should be compatible.

Yes, but that's not what I said... You can put it in your system, and you'd have two sticks of 4gb each... or you can put it in your system WITH what's already there, but it'd register as four sticks of 2GB each. So either way, you wouldn't get 12GB ram, only 8.
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 1:45:04 AM

lilotimz said:
Ram is cheap these days with 2x4gbs going for around $30 so you can probably get it for cheap. A SSD upgrade is also decent and will bring you a much more responsive computer so I'd say go for SSD and more memory and maybe even overclock the i5-650 a bit.

Ok. Thanks for that.
m
0
l
!