Did my GPU just die? Got it 3 days ago...

armandjordan58

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I have a EVGA 670GTX. It seemed to die on me and I want to know why. I only got it 3 days ago. I filed for a RMA with EVGA, they were great about it.

But I have a 620w seasonic modular psu. Is that enough for the 670 gtx? Because I had green artifacts all over my screen resulting in a crash of my computer. I searched the forums and found out that could be because of my power supply.

Now I can't boot up my computer. I'm pretty sure it is due to my gpu because I get a green power standby light on my motherboard, and when I turn on I hear a beep. But also few seconds later 1 long beep followed by 4 short beeps.(I have a Asus p8z77-v) Also on my motherboard the Boot Device Led light stays on.

When I turn on the computer the monitor seems to get no signal, stays in standby. The video card fan spins.

I don't know what to do, which part is at fault. Everything was working fine until the crash with green artifacts and when I turn the power on again monitor has no signal.

Could it be my CPU? Gpu? Psu? Motherboard?

armandjordan58

Honorable
May 5, 2012
My specs are
CPU: Intel I5 3570-k Ivy Bridge
Motherboard:Asus p8Z77-v
Psu: Seasonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE
Hard drive: seagate barracuda 1TB 7200rpm SATA 6gb
RAM: G.Skill ripsaws series 8gb 240-pin ddr3
Heatsink: cooler master Evo 212
Case: in win buc

I checked the manual and 1 long beep and 4 short beeps at boot means hardware component failure. Which I guess it means one of my parts just died.

But don't know wht the boot device led stays on.

I can't even get on my computer to install Orr uninstall and drives monitor doesnt get a signal. Resulting in the monitor continuously being in stand by mode.

But before it crashed I had the latest drivers for my gpu.

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

hmmmmmm.....I am 90% sure you accidentally disconnected a Ram stick when you removed your graphics card. Try tightening every connection and reconnecting every cable/connector in your PC, I'm quite sure that will fix your problem.

~Coffee

armandjordan58

Honorable
May 5, 2012

But that doesn't answer the monitor not getting signal and being in standby mode.

The beep code indicates a component failure. It could be the graphics card or even the motherboard itself. I've even heard of a CPU cooling fan running too slow causing the same beep code.

armandjordan58

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Hmm I will re-check everything, but if there was a ram problem I think a light on my motherboard will indicate an error to my ram.

Could it be my CPU? I am a first time builder and I had trouble with installing the CPU, Heatsink, and thermal paste.

What could be the cause of the green artifacts crashing my computer?

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

That could range from anywhere from a Anomaly incident [extremely and very very very unlikely] to a bad card. Although... the top takers for artifacts are 1) bad card or 2) card is being starved of power 3) driver issues

~Coffee

armandjordan58

Honorable
May 5, 2012

I'm leaning towards the gpu failing, but how would I know if motherboard is dead or the CPU?

And I got all of these just 3 days ago, first time builder. Don't really know why a part would fail so soon.

I hope it was the gpu because it's so much easier to RMA with EVGA.

armandjordan58

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Oh yeah the CPU fan could be the cause of the beeps because when I built it the bios gave me a CPU fan error that the rpm was too low at 500 when in bios 600 was the minumum.

And I only used the speaker to motherboard after I realized monitor wouldn't get a signal.

But still don't know the cause of the problem.

If the motherboard was dead you wouldn't be hearing any beep codes and no LEDs would be lit. A component on the motherboard could have failed but not necessarily causing complete motherboard failure.

DOA and defective motherboards are not as rare as you seem to think.

Having a second known working system to troubleshoot with is always nice.

armandjordan58

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I heard the EVGA 670 sc version was being recalled. But I have the regular 670.
I do hear quite a few people who say they had troubles with the 670 resulting in RMA.

Is it the problem with my CPU? When I was installing it?

The computer was working for 2 days. And CPU temp was always under 50c.
If the CPU was dead(because of my fault) and the video card was working, I could still get into a boot and go to bios. And my monitor getting a signal right? If gpu was working?

armandjordan58

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Oh wow, I can get back on my computer now... and the beeps were because of the fans..

I don't have integrated graphics on my motherboard.

I guess it is a defective video card, after all. I already contacted EVGA earlier today for a replacement.

Thanks a lot guys, for helping me out. But its the gpu fault. Its just defective and tends to crash...

In your post of your specifications, above, you state that you have an ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard.

On the rear I/O panel you should have the following video ports:

1 x DVI-D
1 x D-Sub
1 x DisplayPort
1 x HDMI

Your Intel Core i5-3570K Processor has the Intel HD Graphics 4000 IGP.

So you definitely have use of an alternate graphics processor that you can use for now until your discrete graphics card is replaced.