Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Gtx 480 SLI vs Gtx 670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 3:26:23 AM

A friend of mine wants to know whether or not a pair of 480's would outperform a 670.

basically A pair of NEW 480s would cost him $380, while a 670 would be $400.

I told him the 480's would be better performance wise.

What do you guys think??

More about : gtx 480 sli gtx 670

a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 3:34:38 AM

yes the 480s will perform slightly better. but i would go with the 670 because its much cooler and uses 1/3 of the power
Score
0
a c 186 U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 3:35:57 AM

The answer is no the 480 are as good as 570 but 670 i think not also 480 is loud and runs really hot don't get me wrong the 480 is a beast in it's own right and deserves mad respect but it simply not on par with 670 hope this answers your friends question good luck!
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 3:36:39 AM

IMO spend the 20$ more and go with the 670 and then that way you get excellent modern hardware with alot of OC over head.

Additionally you will have the option to SLI the 670s down the road should you choose to.

IMO 480s would be a waste of money.
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 3:43:54 AM

maxh22 said:
A friend of mine wants to know whether or not a pair of 480's would outperform a 670.

basically A pair of NEW 480s would cost him $380, while a 670 would be $400.

I told him the 480's would be better performance wise.

What do you guys think??


Your right, two GTX 480s will definitely outperform a single GTX 670; assuming the gaming in question has SLI support.
However, the mere 10-20% performance gain also comes w/ a lot of.... drawbacks;


1) two GTX 480 at max power draw is 500W [250w x2] while a GTX 670 only has a max power draw of 170W
2) Higher power consumption also translates to more heat which translates to more noise since fans will have to spin faster to dissipate the heat [higher RPM = more noise]
3) What is your friend's Power Supply??? Because he/she would need at LEAST a 750W Corsair PSU to run two 480GTX in SLI; even that is RISKY as a 850W is recommended. On the other hand, a mere 650W Corsair PSU can run a GTX670 without breaking a sweat; might even be possible to run it on a 550W but that would be pushing it.

In Conclusion, tell your friend to go w/ the GTX 670 unless he has priority on performance over all else. However, do keep in mind that if a certain game doesn't support SLI, then it's only a single GTX480 that's doing work when said game is being played.

Card Specs:
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=627&card2...


~Coffee
Share
a c 186 U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 3:51:54 AM

I misread understood your question i thought you were asking two 670 in sli vs two 480 in sli sorry i understand what your asking now you mean two 480 in sli against a single 670 correct if so the 2 480 if mild oc in sli well then they will violently murder the 670 lol it's not a very fair match two against one
Score
0
May 26, 2012 4:11:04 AM

I really like the opinion of buying a 670 so you can sli it in the future - incredibly ironic.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 1:10:14 PM

Best answer selected by maxh22.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 1:12:47 PM

coffeecoffee said:
Your right, two GTX 480s will definitely outperform a single GTX 670; assuming the gaming in question has SLI support.
However, the mere 10-20% performance gain also comes w/ a lot of.... drawbacks;


1) two GTX 480 at max power draw is 500W [250w x2] while a GTX 670 only has a max power draw of 170W
2) Higher power consumption also translates to more heat which translates to more noise since fans will have to spin faster to dissipate the heat [higher RPM = more noise]
3) What is your friend's Power Supply??? Because he/she would need at LEAST a 750W Corsair PSU to run two 480GTX in SLI; even that is RISKY as a 850W is recommended. On the other hand, a mere 650W Corsair PSU can run a GTX670 without breaking a sweat; might even be possible to run it on a 550W but that would be pushing it.

In Conclusion, tell your friend to go w/ the GTX 670 unless he has priority on performance over all else. However, do keep in mind that if a certain game doesn't support SLI, then it's only a single GTX480 that's doing work when said game is being played.

Card Specs:
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=627&card2...


~Coffee


He has an ocz 1000 watt PSU and for him, power draw makes no difference.

Especially since he has solar panels on his roof LMAO.

I told him to get a 670, wait a while then get another one when they are cheaper or he finds a good deal on one :D 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 1:14:12 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I misread understood your question i thought you were asking two 670 in sli vs two 480 in sli sorry i understand what your asking now you mean two 480 in sli against a single 670 correct if so the 2 480 if mild oc in sli well then they will violently murder the 670 lol it's not a very fair match two against one


I know but the reason why i compared it is because they were similarly priced.
Score
0
a c 273 U Graphics card
May 26, 2012 7:17:28 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!