some questions about grouping/instances

As you might know I am quite new to the game. I just reached lvl18 by doing
the quests in the Rage Fire Chasm. I went in with a pickup group: 1 warrior,
2 druids (the other was lvl14), 1 mage, 1 roque (lvl9!). The other four were
on teamspeak, so it was a bit quite in the party chat. But it worked very
fine, I believe. Looting was great: everyone only rolled on things they
could use. No problems here.

But I came across some other questions:

- If I die within the instance, can I resurrect at the graveyard without
loosing the ability to enter the instance again? As I understand instances,
a maximum number of 5 people can be in it!?

- That was my first experience playing in a 5-people group. It was sometimes
very hard to select the enemy with all the group members around it. There is
the /assist command. But how exactly does it work?

- This instance is a labyrinth when first entering it. No (overview) map
there :( I saw the yellow spot where the "quest tauren body" was lying but
could figure out, how to get there. Then the group helped me to find that
thing - on another "layer" of the dungeon. These were really nice people.

- An interesting experience was my drop over the ridge into the lava stream
(in bear-form). For a second I saw the breath-bar and thought: great, maybe
I'll find my way out of it. Bang. Dead. Another long body-recovery-run.

- The mage did a great job in pulling the mob. Most of the time he managed
to get only one at the time. How exactly is pulling working? I could hit the
nearest enemy with moonfire to get him to me. But how do I prevent the
activation of the others?

- In the end I experienced something very strange. My character became
slower and slower. There were no enemies around (all dead). Do (near) full
bags determine how fast you can walk?

- And last but not least a kind-of-off-topic-question: In the "social
window" I could enter some information to my character, so my guild mates
know my profession. The quick-help says: Click on the message itself to
change it. Something like that. I clicked with every available mousebutton
with every rhythm I know but I cannot put some information into it... Help?

Thanks for listing/reading, guys :)

Walt

--
Komdorron - Tauren Druid on Sunstrider

Dave schrieb:
> Christian Stauffer wrote:
>
> > Even if all people leave the instance, it's still there. As I know, it's
> > supposed to reset when the group disbands, but not even that is working for
> > me. If I want to reset the instance, I have to log out and back in.
>
> Actually you not only need to disband, you also have to change the
> leader of the party to reset. Then it works fine.
>
> Cheers :)

Or u disband. one of u enter instance, leave instance and invite u all.
(always could be the same! no need to change leader then)

"Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> wrote:

> As you might know I am quite new to the game. I just reached lvl18 by doing
> the quests in the Rage Fire Chasm. I went in with a pickup group: 1 warrior,
> 2 druids (the other was lvl14), 1 mage, 1 roque (lvl9!). The other four were
> on teamspeak, so it was a bit quite in the party chat. But it worked very
> fine, I believe. Looting was great: everyone only rolled on things they
> could use. No problems here.

Congratulations!

> But I came across some other questions:
>
> - If I die within the instance, can I resurrect at the graveyard without
> loosing the ability to enter the instance again?

The instance is "bound" to the party (or more correct: to the party
leader). Some time ago while doing WC, one of our team decided to resurrect
at the XR graveyard and go to TB to trade in quests (!). No problem (well,
besides the social side effects :).

Even if all people leave the instance, it's still there. As I know, it's
supposed to reset when the group disbands, but not even that is working for
me. If I want to reset the instance, I have to log out and back in.

Having that said, the longer you wait the more likely it gets that the mobs
in the instance respawn.

> As I understand instances,
> a maximum number of 5 people can be in it!?

That's varying for the different instances.

> - That was my first experience playing in a 5-people group. It was sometimes
> very hard to select the enemy with all the group members around it. There is
> the /assist command. But how exactly does it work?

Never used it yet. I guess you will be attacking the same target as the
guy you assist. As I usually player healer or tank, I don't need it (and I
hate automations like that :eek:).

> - This instance is a labyrinth when first entering it. No (overview) map
> there :( I saw the yellow spot where the "quest tauren body" was lying but
> could figure out, how to get there. Then the group helped me to find that
> thing - on another "layer" of the dungeon. These were really nice people.

Get the atlas add-in, it has maps of most instances.

> - An interesting experience was my drop over the ridge into the lava stream
> (in bear-form). For a second I saw the breath-bar and thought: great, maybe
> I'll find my way out of it. Bang. Dead. Another long body-recovery-run.

Molten core light :)

> - The mage did a great job in pulling the mob. Most of the time he managed
> to get only one at the time. How exactly is pulling working? I could hit the
> nearest enemy with moonfire to get him to me. But how do I prevent the
> activation of the others?

You can't for sure. If there are enemies of the same "faction" nearby, they
will attack too. Same for linked mobs. Pulling the one mob with the least
number of friends around him is 90% of the whole deal.

Letting the mage pull is not the best thing I guess. Mages tend to grab
too much aggro anyway, so it's better to let those pull who can stand the
damage.

> - In the end I experienced something very strange. My character became
> slower and slower. There were no enemies around (all dead). Do (near) full
> bags determine how fast you can walk?

No, that was a bug most likely.

> - And last but not least a kind-of-off-topic-question: In the "social
> window" I could enter some information to my character, so my guild mates
> know my profession. The quick-help says: Click on the message itself to
> change it. Something like that. I clicked with every available mousebutton
> with every rhythm I know but I cannot put some information into it... Help?

I had the same problem with my newly created hunter yesterday. I guess it's
because of the rank (Sash Wearers seem to not be able to enter the message).

> Thanks for listing/reading, guys :)

Thanks for joining Sunstriders best guild :)

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (14) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

mikel

Christian Stauffer wrote:
> "Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> wrote:

<snip>

>> There is
>> the /assist command. But how exactly does it work?
>

> Never used it yet. I guess you will be attacking the same target as the
> guy you assist. As I usually player healer or tank, I don't need it (and I
> hate automations like that :eek:).

Try this:

1. Click the portrait of the party member you want to assist (or,
faster, use the appropriate key to select the party member)
2. hit the "F" key

Presto! Your target is that party member's target. Very handy for ranged
fighters assisting tanks, for example, especially when the good guys are
crowded around some bad guys.

<snip>

"mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote:

> Christian Stauffer wrote:
>> "Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> There is
>>> the /assist command. But how exactly does it work?
>>

>> Never used it yet. I guess you will be attacking the same target as the
>> guy you assist. As I usually player healer or tank, I don't need it (and I
>> hate automations like that :eek:).
>
> Try this:
>
> 1. Click the portrait of the party member you want to assist (or,
> faster, use the appropriate key to select the party member)
> 2. hit the "F" key
>
> Presto! Your target is that party member's target. Very handy for ranged
> fighters assisting tanks, for example, especially when the good guys are
> crowded around some bad guys.

Playing a tank, I wouldn't want people to assist me. Why? I work my ass
of to keep the mobs on me. I can focus on one mob (the one everyone
should be hitting) and keep his aggro even when all damage dealers are
after it, but I can only do a bit damage to all the other mobs to keep
them from attacking the healer. Sometimes I have to do burst damage on
mobs to keep them away from the healer, in that cases I wouldn't want
the damage dealers to also attack this mob. They should still focus on
the "main" mob to take him down.
I think it's good to declare one damage dealer as the main one, having
the others assist him, but the tank shouldn't be assisted. He's the
only one who has to switch between the mobs for aggro holding reasons.

Chris

--

Christian Stauffer wrote:
> "mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote:
>
>> Christian Stauffer wrote:
>>
>>> "Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> wrote:
>>

>> <snip>

>>> Never used it yet. I guess you will be attacking the same target as the
>>> guy you assist. As I usually player healer or tank, I don't need it
>>> (and I
>>> hate automations like that :eek:).
>>

>> Try this:
>>
>> 1. Click the portrait of the party member you want to assist (or,
>> faster, use the appropriate key to select the party member)
>> 2. hit the "F" key
>>
>> Presto! Your target is that party member's target. Very handy for
>> ranged fighters assisting tanks, for example, especially when the good
>> guys are crowded around some bad guys.
>

> Playing a tank, I wouldn't want people to assist me. Why? I work my ass
> of to keep the mobs on me. I can focus on one mob (the one everyone
> should be hitting) and keep his aggro even when all damage dealers are
> after it, but I can only do a bit damage to all the other mobs to keep
> them from attacking the healer. Sometimes I have to do burst damage on
> mobs to keep them away from the healer, in that cases I wouldn't want
> the damage dealers to also attack this mob. They should still focus on
> the "main" mob to take him down.
> I think it's good to declare one damage dealer as the main one, having
> the others assist him, but the tank shouldn't be assisted. He's the
> only one who has to switch between the mobs for aggro holding reasons.

Fair enough. Let's say it this way: it is common to have one person pick
the mob that is to be killed right now. When that's how you're doing it,
assist is very helpful.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:55:21 +0200, Walt <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> wrote:
> - That was my first experience playing in a 5-people group. It was
> sometimes very hard to select the enemy with all the group members
> around it. There is the /assist command. But how exactly does it work?

I don't use it... simply use TAB to switch your enemies. You don't need
the mouse if they are in range of your weapons.

--
Daniel Bleisteiner
....spielt WoW mit Mirandir (Dunkelelf-Jäger 23) auf Aman'Thul!

"mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote:

> Fair enough. Let's say it this way: it is common to have one person pick
> the mob that is to be killed right now. When that's how you're doing it,
> assist is very helpful.

Agreed :eek:) Just wanted to point out that the tank shouldn't be the person
to be assisted.

Chris

--

"Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> ytrede sig i
<42ad3b2e$0$10578$3b214f66@tunews.univie.ac.at> med dette:

>- That was my first experience playing in a 5-people group. It was sometimes
>very hard to select the enemy with all the group members around it. There is
>the /assist command. But how exactly does it work?

When you can't see the enemy, you can use the TAB button to select it.
Pressing that button more time shifts between the mobs. I find this
easier than using the assist command, but I'm playing either caster or
shammy, and as the latter I nearly always takes the job of keeping the
mobs of the casters.
--
Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
"When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he

> What happens if the damage dealer loses his target and assists
> the tank again to reacquire, but the tank has meanwhile switched
> targets to get aggro on a mob that was attacking the priest?
>
> The damage dealer ends up attacking the wrong mob, that's what

>From the perspective of playing a druid that done MA and Main Healer
duties, killing the mob that's killing your healer is never wrong. :-D

That said, you should be assisting the MA, not the MT. All the MT is
doing is trying to keep as many mobs beating on him and not the healers
and casters. The MA should be making the judgement calls on which mob
should get melted first. Obviously, those roles more clearly defined in
raids. In 5 man runs, the roles can get a bit muddied, but protecting
the healer is paramount.

Regards,
Noal

mikel

ASKF wrote:
> "Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> ytrede sig i
> <42ad3b2e$0$10578$3b214f66@tunews.univie.ac.at> med dette:
>

>>- That was my first experience playing in a 5-people group. It was sometimes
>>very hard to select the enemy with all the group members around it. There is
>>the /assist command. But how exactly does it work?
>

> When you can't see the enemy, you can use the TAB button to select it.

<snip>

This is a good solution. I just thought I'd mention that it's not always
ideal. There are instances in which there is a group of very
similar-looking mobs who are mostly obscured by friendlies, and where
TAB can realistically select a mob that you don't really want to be
attacking, and where it's a little hard to see that from where you are.
That's another situation where assist can help.

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:55:21 +0200, "Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> scribed
into the ether:

>But I came across some other questions:
>
>- If I die within the instance, can I resurrect at the graveyard without
>loosing the ability to enter the instance again? As I understand instances,
>a maximum number of 5 people can be in it!?

Yes, you can use the spirit healer, and then run back to the instance and
enter it just fine. This is not an option for a lot of instances however,
as there is usually some dungeony aspect before the entrance to the actual
instance, and a live character (as opposed to a ghost) would have trouble
surviving the trip.

>- That was my first experience playing in a 5-people group. It was sometimes
>very hard to select the enemy with all the group members around it. There is
>the /assist command. But how exactly does it work?

You /assist person X, and then whatever person X has targeted becomes your
target as well. Lets you hit the same thing they are.

>- This instance is a labyrinth when first entering it. No (overview) map
>there :( I saw the yellow spot where the "quest tauren body" was lying but
>could figure out, how to get there. Then the group helped me to find that
>thing - on another "layer" of the dungeon. These were really nice people.

You get the mini-window, but not the "see the whole dungeon" view. Because
instances often have overlapping segments, the mini map is sometimes of
only dubious use.

>- An interesting experience was my drop over the ridge into the lava stream
>(in bear-form). For a second I saw the breath-bar and thought: great, maybe
>I'll find my way out of it. Bang. Dead. Another long body-recovery-run.

Lava bad.

>- The mage did a great job in pulling the mob. Most of the time he managed
>to get only one at the time. How exactly is pulling working? I could hit the
>nearest enemy with moonfire to get him to me. But how do I prevent the
>activation of the others?

If the others are linked, you don't. Pull one, pull all. If they are not
linked, then you can use tricks of proximity and facing to get
less-than-all. It takes lots of practice.

>- In the end I experienced something very strange. My character became
>slower and slower. There were no enemies around (all dead). Do (near) full
>bags determine how fast you can walk?

Sounds like lag.

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:41:00 +0200, "Christian Stauffer"
<wildcard666@bluewin.ch> scribed into the ether:

>"mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote:
>
>> Christian Stauffer wrote:
>>> "Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> Never used it yet. I guess you will be attacking the same target as the
>>> guy you assist. As I usually player healer or tank, I don't need it (and I
>>> hate automations like that :eek:).
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> 1. Click the portrait of the party member you want to assist (or,
>> faster, use the appropriate key to select the party member)
>> 2. hit the "F" key
>>
>> Presto! Your target is that party member's target. Very handy for ranged
>> fighters assisting tanks, for example, especially when the good guys are
>> crowded around some bad guys.
>
>Playing a tank, I wouldn't want people to assist me. Why? I work my ass
>of to keep the mobs on me. I can focus on one mob (the one everyone
>should be hitting) and keep his aggro even when all damage dealers are
>after it, but I can only do a bit damage to all the other mobs to keep
>them from attacking the healer. Sometimes I have to do burst damage on
>mobs to keep them away from the healer, in that cases I wouldn't want
>the damage dealers to also attack this mob. They should still focus on
>the "main" mob to take him down.

Assist does not float your target along with the person you are assisting.
If the tank changes targets, the damage dealer only changes targets if he
hits assist again.

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:17:22 +0200, "Christian Stauffer"
<wildcard666@bluewin.ch> scribed into the ether:

>"mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote:
>
>> Fair enough. Let's say it this way: it is common to have one person pick
>> the mob that is to be killed right now. When that's how you're doing it,
>> assist is very helpful.
>
>Agreed :eek:) Just wanted to point out that the tank shouldn't be the person
>to be assisted.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

In <birra1l4d51jvb51a0rdf183nspifo1d9j@4ax.com> Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> writes:

> Assist does not float your target along with the person you are assisting.
> If the tank changes targets, the damage dealer only changes targets if he
> hits assist again.

What happens if the damage dealer loses his target and assists the tank
again to reacquire, but the tank has meanwhile switched targets to get
aggro on a mob that was attacking the priest?

The damage dealer ends up attacking the wrong mob, that's what.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:52:35 +0000 (UTC), John Gordon <gordon@panix.com>
scribed into the ether:

>In <birra1l4d51jvb51a0rdf183nspifo1d9j@4ax.com> Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> writes:
>
>> Assist does not float your target along with the person you are assisting.
>> If the tank changes targets, the damage dealer only changes targets if he
>> hits assist again.
>
>What happens if the damage dealer loses his target and assists the tank
>again to reacquire,

How would he do that, exactly? Been playing for a while, I've never lost my
target (not in a situation where I'd still be expected to hit it again).
Maybe a druid in the group is targeting the priest...I guess. We'll leave
aside the million and one UI mods (it actually doesn't even need a mod, but
we'll go with the flow here) that allow you to do this without losing your
current target.

> but the tank has meanwhile switched targets to get
>aggro on a mob that was attacking the priest?

Then you hit your LastTarget button to go back to it.

In <dr6sa1lcin95511svnaqcu07ra5pul0ks9@4ax.com> Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> writes:

> >What happens if the damage dealer loses his target and assists the tank
> >again to reacquire,

> How would he do that, exactly? Been playing for a while, I've never lost my
> target (not in a situation where I'd still be expected to hit it again).

Fear, toad, sheep, charm.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:55:37 +0200, "Daniel Bleisteiner"
<news@da3x.de> wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:55:21 +0200, Walt <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> wrote:
>> - That was my first experience playing in a 5-people group. It was
>> sometimes very hard to select the enemy with all the group members
>> around it. There is the /assist command. But how exactly does it work?
>
>I don't use it... simply use TAB to switch your enemies. You don't need
>the mouse if they are in range of your weapons.

Sorry, but that's just not a good idea in higher-level instances.
Everyone should be hitting the same target, to take it out as quickly
as possible - because a mob that isn't dead is still dealing it out.
Cut the numbers, cut the damage.

Just tabbing from one to another isn't the fastest way of all being on
the same target, even if you consistently end up on the right one
(which I doubt). When things go hairy, the difference in overall
damage taken *will* be the difference between survival and a wipe.
The best approach by far is an "/assist fred" macro, with the name
hard-coded. One button push, and you're there.

Cheers - Ian

Ian Noble wrote:
> Sorry, but that's just not a good idea in higher-level instances.
> Everyone should be hitting the same target, to take it out as
> quickly as possible - because a mob that isn't dead is still dealing
> it out. Cut the numbers, cut the damage.

I aggre, with the caveat that it can make sense when there's a boss
and a subboss (center of Zul'Farrak, for instance) for one player--a
Shaman or Paladin is a good choice thanks to self-heaing--to keep the
subboss occupied while everyone else piles on the boss.

> The best approach by far is an "/assist fred" macro, with the name
> hard-coded. One button push, and you're there.

Why not just F[1-5] then f? Two keystrokes, but otherwise just as fast
and no need to rewrite macros when groups change.

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/> PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 1.8% us, 0.9% sy, 0.3% ni, 95.5% id, 1.4% wa, 0.1% hi, 0.0% si

On 13 Jun 2005 23:35:09 GMT, Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> scribed into the
ether:

>Ian Noble wrote:
>> Sorry, but that's just not a good idea in higher-level instances.
>> Everyone should be hitting the same target, to take it out as
>> quickly as possible - because a mob that isn't dead is still dealing
>> it out. Cut the numbers, cut the damage.
>
>I aggre, with the caveat that it can make sense when there's a boss
>and a subboss (center of Zul'Farrak, for instance) for one player--a
>Shaman or Paladin is a good choice thanks to self-heaing--to keep the
>subboss occupied while everyone else piles on the boss.

Which is off-tanking, not damage dealing. I don't think anyone will debate
the value of an off-tank for various fights.

>> The best approach by far is an "/assist fred" macro, with the name
>> hard-coded. One button push, and you're there.
>
>Why not just F[1-5] then f? Two keystrokes, but otherwise just as fast
>and no need to rewrite macros when groups change.

Ties up 5 keys unnecesarily, and also doesn't work when you are with more
than one group and the MT is in the other one.

wrote:

>- That was my first experience playing in a 5-people group. It was sometimes
>very hard to select the enemy with all the group members around it.

Two things I've found helpful. Try them, and see whether they suit
you.

1) hit the "V" key to toggle a health bar over each nearby mob's head.
You can often see these when you can't see the mob itself, and you can
click on them. Plus you can see which mobs are being hit, and
concentrate your attack without needing to use "assist" - useful for
casual groups.

2) If things are really busy, go into the "interface" menu option and
uncheck the "player names" button for the duration of the instance -
you'll be surprised by how much more you can often see. I've only
ever done this in raid groups, but when it helps, it *really* helps.

>There is
>the /assist command. But how exactly does it work?

If you "/assist fred", you acquire the same target as fred - as if
you'd clicked on the same mob as him. In the "Interface" options
menu, near the top, you can choose whether or not you also want to
attack that target by default or not (ie whether "assist" acts like a
right click or a left one).

There are lots of ways to use assist, and the lower instances are the
places to try them out. Personally I quickly got fed up of trying to
work out who to assist in the heat of the fight - if you *need* to
assist, the last thing you want is to have to work out who to assist
and then remember how to do it. I go for the easiest, no-brain one of
having "attack on assist" turned on, and a macro with the name
hard-coded. Push one button, I've just right-clicked on the same
target as (whoever). When I'm expecting to melee, I just stick to
fred like glue and hit the key whenever my current target goes down -
bingo, I'm on fred's next target, and hacking into that. For ranged
stuff, I don't move - just hit the macro button then fire the weapon
or spell.

My two prefered macro varients:

With "attack on assist" on:

/assist fred

The equivalent with "attack on assist" turned off:

/assist fred
/script attackTarget();

You can get a lot more subtle, but those two are both simple and
tactically effective. Note that macros are at least partially
case-sensitive; you need to type them correctly (and there are plenty
of mis-typed examples out there, just to be annoying).

>- This instance is a labyrinth when first entering it. No (overview) map
>there :( I saw the yellow spot where the "quest tauren body" was lying but
>could figure out, how to get there. Then the group helped me to find that
>thing - on another "layer" of the dungeon. These were really nice people.
There's a UI mod called Atlas that will give you in-game maps of these
places, if you want them.
http://www.curse-community.com/mod.php?addid=539

>- The mage did a great job in pulling the mob. Most of the time he managed
>to get only one at the time. How exactly is pulling working? I could hit the
>nearest enemy with moonfire to get him to me. But how do I prevent the
>activation of the others?

You don't. Experience helps in deciding which mob to go for first, to
unpick things in the easiest, least painful way, which is probably
what you saw.

Pulling aims to get mobs to move away from the pack; once they're
away, the others are less likely to wander into range and join in, or
to get triggered because, say, someone got too close in the heat of
battle. But if another mob is in range of the first, you get both
(and maybe more, in a chain reaction). More tactics are needed as
things get hairier, to try to keep the second/third etc mobs out of
the fight for as long as possible (rogues may sap or kidney-punch
them; mages may "sheep" them; a hunter may drop a trap to hold them
for a while; and so forth). When, as happens most of the time, you're
expecting (or get) more than one mob at a time, THE standard party
practice is a "tank" - someone such as a warrior who can (a) take lots
of damage, and (b) deliberately keep as many of the mobs angry with
HIM rather than the rest of the party (if he kills lots of them,
that's a bonus, but it's NOT his job). Which leaves someone else (the
guy I called fred above, often called the "main assist") to pick the
targets to take down. If someone's doing that role, *that's* the guy
you should have hard-coded into your macro. Fred hits something,
everyone assists fred, the mob dies in quick order, and fred moves
on.The mobs go down one by one like skittles, and the total damage
they deal out is a LOT less than if everyone just picks a target at
random and hits it.

Pulling also gives you, in extremis, the option to run like hell, and
(if all else fails) to die in a place where you can reincarnate, be
resurrected or whatever without stiring up the mobs again - because
they'll have gone back to where they were when the pull started. Ie:
when things go pear-shaped - try to find a good spot to be killed.

>- In the end I experienced something very strange. My character became
>slower and slower. There were no enemies around (all dead). Do (near) full
>bags determine how fast you can walk?

Not that I've ever noticed. Sounds like a bug.

>- And last but not least a kind-of-off-topic-question: In the "social
>window" I could enter some information to my character, so my guild mates
>know my profession. The quick-help says: Click on the message itself to
>change it. Something like that. I clicked with every available mousebutton
>with every rhythm I know but I cannot put some information into it... Help?

The message is correct but misleading; you need to have the
appropriate guild authority to actually be able to change it.

Cheers - Ian

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:18:09 +0000 (UTC), John Gordon <gordon@panix.com>
scribed into the ether:

>In <dr6sa1lcin95511svnaqcu07ra5pul0ks9@4ax.com> Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> writes:
>
>> >What happens if the damage dealer loses his target and assists the tank
>> >again to reacquire,
>
>> How would he do that, exactly? Been playing for a while, I've never lost my
>> target (not in a situation where I'd still be expected to hit it again).
>
>Fear, toad, sheep, charm.

Hi, "LastTarget".

"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:41:00 +0200, "Christian Stauffer"
>>
>>Playing a tank, I wouldn't want people to assist me. Why? I work my ass
>>of to keep the mobs on me. I can focus on one mob (the one everyone
>>should be hitting) and keep his aggro even when all damage dealers are
>>after it, but I can only do a bit damage to all the other mobs to keep
>>them from attacking the healer. Sometimes I have to do burst damage on
>>mobs to keep them away from the healer, in that cases I wouldn't want
>>the damage dealers to also attack this mob. They should still focus on
>>the "main" mob to take him down.
>
> Assist does not float your target along with the person you are assisting.
> If the tank changes targets, the damage dealer only changes targets if he
> hits assist again.

Ow great. You mean when you hit assist on me while I'm hitting a mob who's
on the healer you'll continue hitting him when I switch back to the main
mob? Congratulations, you'll soon catch aggro over me and I have to waste
a 10 seconds cooldown taunt to get the mob away from you. Way to go.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (14) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:29:19 +0200, "Christian Stauffer"
<wildcard666@bluewin.ch> scribed into the ether:

>"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:41:00 +0200, "Christian Stauffer"
>>>
>>>Playing a tank, I wouldn't want people to assist me. Why? I work my ass
>>>of to keep the mobs on me. I can focus on one mob (the one everyone
>>>should be hitting) and keep his aggro even when all damage dealers are
>>>after it, but I can only do a bit damage to all the other mobs to keep
>>>them from attacking the healer. Sometimes I have to do burst damage on
>>>mobs to keep them away from the healer, in that cases I wouldn't want
>>>the damage dealers to also attack this mob. They should still focus on
>>>the "main" mob to take him down.
>>
>> Assist does not float your target along with the person you are assisting.
>> If the tank changes targets, the damage dealer only changes targets if he
>> hits assist again.
>
>Ow great. You mean when you hit assist on me while I'm hitting a mob who's
>on the healer you'll continue hitting him when I switch back to the main
>mob? Congratulations, you'll soon catch aggro over me and I have to waste
>a 10 seconds cooldown taunt to get the mob away from you. Way to go.

The theory being that you are ALREADY ON THE RIGHT TARGET before the tank
switches...

I really don't quite understand why you people are objecting so heavily to
the assist command. It's an incredibly useful tool, particularly as WoW has
no creature collision of any sort, and it is trivially easy for multiple
mobs to get stacked in a very small space, making tab or mouse targeting
problematical at best.