removing past owners information

i was given a computer from a friend, how do i remove their information from
the computer, i am the administrator, but it still shows their name at
start-up and various other places, like when i download a file, it wants to
place the file by default into their folder. thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about removing past owners information

    In news:C0C83841-C67D-4C13-90A8-EF8D54F5352C@microsoft.com,
    clyffcarlock <clyffcarlock@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > i was given a computer from a friend, how do i remove their
    > information from the computer, i am the administrator, but it
    > still
    > shows their name at start-up and various other places, like
    > when i
    > download a file, it wants to place the file by default into
    > their
    > folder. thanks

    If I bought a used computer, the first thing I would do with it
    would be to reinstall the operating system cleanly. You have no
    idea how the computer has been maintained, what has been
    installed incorrectly, what is missing, what viruses and spyware
    there may be, etc. I wouldn't want to live with somebody else's
    mistakes and problems, possibility of kiddie porn, etc., and I
    wouldn't recommend that anyone else do either.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Navigate to;
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
    and edit the Reg_Sz strings:

    "RegisteredOrganization"
    "RegisteredOwner"

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "clyffcarlock" wrote:
    |i was given a computer from a friend, how do i remove their information
    from
    | the computer, i am the administrator, but it still shows their name at
    | start-up and various other places, like when i download a file, it wants
    | place the file by default into their folder. thanks

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:47:56 -0700, "Ken Blake"
    <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

    >In news:C0C83841-C67D-4C13-90A8-EF8D54F5352C@microsoft.com,
    >clyffcarlock <clyffcarlock@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >
    >> i was given a computer from a friend, how do i remove their
    >> information from the computer, i am the administrator, but it
    >> still
    >> shows their name at start-up and various other places, like
    >> when i
    >> download a file, it wants to place the file by default into
    >> their
    >> folder. thanks
    >

    >If I bought a used computer, the first thing I would do with it
    >would be to reinstall the operating system cleanly. You have no
    >idea how the computer has been maintained, what has been
    >installed incorrectly, what is missing, what viruses and spyware
    >there may be, etc. I wouldn't want to live with somebody else's
    >mistakes and problems, possibility of kiddie porn, etc., and I
    >wouldn't recommend that anyone else do either.

    I allmost agree :-)

    First thing to do though is: make an image of everything that is
    on the drive. "You have no idea" what hardware has been installed
    over time and where the required drivers are now :-)

    If you have a working system, make an image.

    If your fresh install fails at any stage, you'll have something
    to go back to :-)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

Configuration Computers Microsoft Customization Windows XP