removing past owners information

April 4, 2005 12:13:05 PM

i was given a computer from a friend, how do i remove their information from
the computer, i am the administrator, but it still shows their name at
start-up and various other places, like when i download a file, it wants to
place the file by default into their folder. thanks
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:47:56 PM

In news:C0C83841-C67D-4C13-90A8-EF8D54F5352C@microsoft.com,
clyffcarlock <clyffcarlock@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> i was given a computer from a friend, how do i remove their
> information from the computer, i am the administrator, but it
> still
> shows their name at start-up and various other places, like
> when i
> download a file, it wants to place the file by default into
> their
> folder. thanks

If I bought a used computer, the first thing I would do with it
would be to reinstall the operating system cleanly. You have no
idea how the computer has been maintained, what has been
installed incorrectly, what is missing, what viruses and spyware
there may be, etc. I wouldn't want to live with somebody else's
mistakes and problems, possibility of kiddie porn, etc., and I
wouldn't recommend that anyone else do either.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 1:38:38 PM

Navigate to;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
and edit the Reg_Sz strings:

"RegisteredOrganization"
"RegisteredOwner"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"clyffcarlock" wrote:
|i was given a computer from a friend, how do i remove their information
from
| the computer, i am the administrator, but it still shows their name at
| start-up and various other places, like when i download a file, it wants
| place the file by default into their folder. thanks
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:40:58 PM

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:47:56 -0700, "Ken Blake"
<kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>In news:C0C83841-C67D-4C13-90A8-EF8D54F5352C@microsoft.com,
>clyffcarlock <clyffcarlock@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
>> i was given a computer from a friend, how do i remove their
>> information from the computer, i am the administrator, but it
>> still
>> shows their name at start-up and various other places, like
>> when i
>> download a file, it wants to place the file by default into
>> their
>> folder. thanks
>

>If I bought a used computer, the first thing I would do with it
>would be to reinstall the operating system cleanly. You have no
>idea how the computer has been maintained, what has been
>installed incorrectly, what is missing, what viruses and spyware
>there may be, etc. I wouldn't want to live with somebody else's
>mistakes and problems, possibility of kiddie porn, etc., and I
>wouldn't recommend that anyone else do either.

I allmost agree :-)

First thing to do though is: make an image of everything that is
on the drive. "You have no idea" what hardware has been installed
over time and where the required drivers are now :-)

If you have a working system, make an image.

If your fresh install fails at any stage, you'll have something
to go back to :-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok